PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Chicken Stock Gone Like Jelly

Options

Comments

• nic82
    nic82 Posts: 420 Forumite
    Options
    Sorry, this is going to sound really stupid. When I make soup, I use a couple of stock cubes dissolved in water.

If I use chicken stock, how much do I use (I guess that partially depends on how much soup I want to make!)?

Also (this is the bit that's going to make me sound reeeeeealy stupid!), if I use chicken stock in a soup, when the soup goes cold, won't it just go jelly-like, like stock does when it's cold?

Sorry :o
  • trying-very-trying
    Options
    nic82 wrote: »
    Sorry, this is going to sound really stupid. When I make soup, I use a couple of stock cubes dissolved in water.

If I use chicken stock, how much do I use (I guess that partially depends on how much soup I want to make!)?

Also (this is the bit that's going to make me sound reeeeeealy stupid!), if I use chicken stock in a soup, when the soup goes cold, won't it just go jelly-like, like stock does when it's cold?

Sorry :o

I would say it depends more on how much chicken stock you have, I kinda doubt you would have too much for making soup, more likely you will have to add water too make it up.

No, the soup doesn't go jellified.
    Official DFW Nerd Club - Member # 593 - Proud To Be Dealing With My Debts!

• skintchick
    skintchick Posts: 15,114 Forumite
    Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    My soup goes jellified, but it doesn;t matter cos it goes liquid again when you heat it up.

And I always add water to my jellied chicken juices - is that wrong? I thought that was what you did.

I boil the carcass up in the SC, with veggies and herbs, then add the jellied stuff to what results from the SC (strained) and that's my stock.
    :cool: DFW Nerd Club member 023...DFD 9.2.2007 :cool:
    :heartpuls married 21 6 08 :A Angel babies' birth dates 3.10.08 * 4.3.11 * 11.11.11 * 17.3.12 * 2.7.12 :heart2: My live baby's birth date 22 7 09 :heart2: I'm due another baby at the end of July 2014! :j
  • nic82
    nic82 Posts: 420 Forumite
    Options
    I would say it depends more on how much chicken stock you have, I kinda doubt you would have too much for making soup, more likely you will have to add water too make it up.

No, the soup doesn't go jellified.

Thank you. I'll give it a go this week.
  • noonesperfect
    Options
    I've roasted a chicken tonight in an enamel roaster with the lid on. Now that the roaster has gone cold there is about half an inch of "jelly" and some oily stuff. I didn't add any water when I cooked the chicken.

Is this "jelly" stock and can I use it to make a pie (gravy/sauce) along with the leftover roast meat tomorrow? Or will it make everything greasy and nasty? Thanks x.
    :wave:
  • Jayar
    Jayar Posts: 735 Forumite
    Options
    Yes certainly use it. It makes fantastic stock.
    A friend is someone who overlooks your broken fence and admires the flowers in your garden.
  • noonesperfect
    Options
    I'm going to need extra I think, would you dilute jelly with water, milk or chicken oxo?

I'm going to cook some onions and mushrooms to go into the pie with the meat to make it go a bit further.
    :wave:
  • Stephen_Leak
    Options
    I'm going to need extra I think, would you dilute jelly with water, milk or chicken oxo?

I'm going to cook some onions and mushrooms to go into the pie with the meat to make it go a bit further.

Don't you dare not use that jelly - its concentrated "chickeniness". Water or milk would just dilute this. I'd make up the difference with full strength chicken stock.
    The acquisition of wealth is no longer the driving force in my life. :)
  • morwenna
    morwenna Posts: 844 Forumite
    Options
    Don't you dare not use that jelly - its concentrated "chickeniness".

Stephen that just made me laugh, what a great expression:rotfl:
  • moanymoany
    moanymoany Posts: 2,877 Forumite
    Options
    Stephen is absolutely right, this is great stuff. I use an enamel covered roaster. When I've done chicken I have to stop myself dipping bread into the hot liquid jelly after I've taken the chicken out. Delish :D
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure