PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Chicken Stock Gone Like Jelly

Options

Comments

• Angelina-M
    Angelina-M Posts: 1,541 Forumite
    Options
    A flirtacious reply and I miss it by two months. :sad:

Stephen I have to say I've read your replies on a number of threads and I like what you do. Are you a Hugh Fearnley Whittingstall type of chef? (I assume you are a chef)
  • Stephen_Leak
    Options
    Angelina-M wrote: »
    Stephen I have to say I've read your replies on a number of threads and I like what you do. Are you a Hugh Fearnley Whittingstall type of chef? (I assume you are a chef)

I'm actually a computer and network technician by trade. I just like eating at least once a day if possible and, especially since separating, this does tend to involve some cooking beforehand.

I can't remember when I last had a pizza, although (at the time of writing) I do have one emergency ready meal in the freezer. I am currently trying to switch from these to portions of batch cooked meals. As I ate the last of the previous batch last night, the next one ought to be another Chilli Con Carne.

As you may have noticed, I like to try and keep things simple: typical bloke. My recipe for Chilli Con Carne is a basic tomato sauce plus minced beef and a stock cube (at this point, it's Bolognese Sauce) minus garlic plus chilli powder, ground cumin and red kidney beans.

I like HF-W's down to earth approach. For all the wrong reasons, I also really enjoyed young Master Oliver having a really hard time on his recent jaunt around Italy, trying (and failing) to get his head around the simplicity and localness(?) of Italian cuisine. There he was, adding this, that and God knows what else to a perfectly good local or regional dish, and the Italians were saying that they preferred it the way they had always made it, with just a handful of fresh local ingredients.
    The acquisition of wealth is no longer the driving force in my life. :)
  • Angelina-M
    Angelina-M Posts: 1,541 Forumite
    Options
    No, I just like eating. As I now live alone, this does tend to involve cooking beforehand.

Ah thanks for that. On seeing your sig I assumed we had a great chef on our forum... which Im sure you are!
  • CravingSaving
    Options
    I see a reply I made has been deleted. Hope I didnt offend anyone. It was meant as a joke. Sorry!
    If I had a pound for every...... oh sod it, if I just had a pound I'd be richer!
  • Stephen_Leak
    Options
    I see a reply I made has been deleted. Hope I didnt offend anyone. It was meant as a joke. Sorry!

Just in case it was aimed at me and was biological and/or obscene, I've clicked your Thanks button. :smiley:
    The acquisition of wealth is no longer the driving force in my life. :)
  • CravingSaving
    Options
    Just in case it was aimed at me and was biological and/or obscene, I've clicked your Thanks button. :smiley:

Dont think I have ever made a biological comment...:D
    If I had a pound for every...... oh sod it, if I just had a pound I'd be richer!
  • Kadeeae
    Kadeeae Posts: 652 Forumite
    First Post
    Options
    I've made stock twice now after having roast chicken on Sundays.

Both times, it has come out of the fridge with just a slight layer of fat (good) but the rest of the "stock" is gel. There is no liquid what so ever! I mean it is just llike a jelly! What am I doing wrong? Isn't it supposed to be liquid? :confused:

I put the chicken bones, some veg and seasonings in a saucepan and cover with water, bring to the boil and then let simmer for an hour or two. Pour through a strainer into a bowl and place in the fridge when cooled.
  • BB1984
    BB1984 Posts: 1,039 Forumite
    Options
    That's a good thing - means it's full of tasty goodness! :D It "melts" again when it's heated up - so you can plonk it in a pan with your other ingredients and make a soup, stew or whatever, no problem! I sometimes add a bit of extra water to mine if I want to thin it out a bit.
    :love:"Live long, laugh often, love much":love:
  • maltesers_2
    Options
    You're not doing anything wrong at all. The thicker, more jelly like it is the better. You can always dilute it if you want to. I usually aim to get a couple of pints of good stock from one chicken carcase.
  • thriftlady_2
    Options
    Kadeeae wrote: »
    Both times, it has come out of the fridge with just a slight layer of fat (good) but the rest of the "stock" is gel. There is no liquid what so ever! I mean it is just llike a jelly! What am I doing wrong? .
    Absolutely nothing! It is supposed to be like that -it will liquefy when heated. The bones are full of gelatine ;)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure