Comments

• DiggerUK
    DiggerUK Posts: 4,992 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    nexuss wrote: »
    A shop in stoke-on-trent offering £180

Lets see if I have this right.
    It's a shop that a mate at work heard about, from their twice removed cousin, on their mothers adopted sisters side of the family.
  • nexuss
    nexuss Posts: 989 Forumite
    Options
    No it is a shop in the local paper that advertises that price and it is a local shop.Staffordshire evening sentinel to be exact.
  • DiggerUK
    Options
    nexuss wrote: »
    No it is a shop in the local paper that advertises that price and it is a local shop.Staffordshire evening sentinel to be exact.

And the contact details for this magic shop at the end of the rainbow is called..........?
  • SallyUK
    SallyUK Posts: 2,344 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Morning Digger

Thanks for this.

Unfortunately, I don't know of any Asian jewellers in this area, do you know of any other online outfits that might buy the 22k gold I have?

Thanks

Sal
    x
    DiggerUK wrote: »
    They are trying it on. 22K is 22K.
    If you know any Indian or Asian jewelers in your area go there to sell. Traditional gold jewelry in far east is always 22K.
    Again, don't swallow any tish tosh.
  • DiggerUK
    Options
    SallyUK wrote: »
    Unfortunately, I don't know of any Asian jewellers in this area, do you know of any other online outfits that might buy the 22k gold I have?
    You have not been keeping up with the threads sorting the gold sharks from the straight players, all happened today.

About time too, hope Martin use his newspaper columns to warn people of the rip off merchants as well.
    How would any of you feel, if an elderly relative got jipped.
  • nexuss
    nexuss Posts: 989 Forumite
    Options
    DiggerUK wrote: »
    And the contact details for this magic shop at the end of the rainbow is called..........?

I will scan the ad for you.
  • ortolickus
    Options
    I checked this thread on Monday before i sold an old ring because i wanted to see which dealers or pitfalls to avoid. I was grateful for the comments so I thought i'd report my dealings with scrap-gold-buyers in Havant.

I knew the weight of the ring, so i valued it using their online calculator and filled in the application form. A free special delivery envelope arrived the next day in which i immediately sent the ring. Two days later i received a cheque (as requested) for the full amount of the valuation.

Their price was good (7.26/gm) and although it wasn't quite the best i found, other sites wanted me to send the ring special delivery at my own expense, which would have cost the best part of a fiver.

So all in all i'd highly recommend this company as providing an excellent service - particularly for smaller amounts, for which they may offer about the best deal on the web.
  • mrsdarbs
    Options
    I used Hatton Garden Metals this week. Yes I had to pay to send my items which was just under £5, but for some scrap earrings and a broken necklance (all 9ct) which had all been in my jewellery box for years, I received £162.

This was a fair price and I am very happy with their service. I sent the items on Tuesday, received the email on Wednesday and the money was in my account this morning.

I would definitely recommend.
  • Rienchen
    Options
    SallyUK wrote: »
    Well I did finally get an answer from them and they say that if it has a UK Hallmark, then they will pay the rate for 22 carat, but if it doesn't have a UK Hallmark and has been bought from abroad, then they'll pay the current rate for 20c gold.

Thought I'd post this just in case anyone else has gold to sell that they purchased from abroad.

Sal
    x

Which site is that? My mum has two wedding bands both bought in Germany which I'm sure she'd be happy to get rid off for a bit of extra cash.
    Also one pair of earrings bought in Turkey...
    £9500/£10000 baby fund saved so far
  • JustJayne01
    JustJayne01 Posts: 1 Newbie
    edited 21 November 2009 at 9:40AM
    Options
    I sent my old / disused items to money4gold, I did weigh it prior to sending and had appox 46g of 9ct gold (I also sent some 14ct and silver) to which they did send me a cheque to the unbelievable amount of £52 !!!! :mad:

I have sent them their cheque back .... and after 2 phone calls requesting my items back I am still waiting 15 days later !!! :mad:

I think I will wait for my items to be returned (if I ever get them back) and use the company Hatton Garden Metals which has got some good reviews.
    So thanks to whoever posted the link :T

I used Money4Gold a couple of months back and had the same problem.

I sent a mix of silver and gold (didn't weigh it, wish I had!) they sent me after two weeks a cheque for £23, which I promptly returned, expecting my jewellery returned immediately as they state in their ads. How wrong was I?:mad: After numerous phone calls and never speaking to anyone, leaving message after message until i got "Sorry this mail box is full", I resorted to e-mail...which they replied to with "Your jewellery will be returned soon"...I got Trading Standards involved, who told me that M4G were in breach of contract, to tell them I wanted my jewellery returned within 14 days, if it wasn't I would take further action. Miraculously, a phone call came from them within an hour of my e-mail; what price was I expecting for my gold, he asked. I told him, well not that little. He went off, came back with £32 which I rejected and he told me that was their limit so I asked for my jewellery returned which he simply told me would be "as soon as possible".

Now, that gave them until Monday 2nd September I think it was and when it arrived by registered post that morning I was pleasantly surprised, but that was exactly the 14 days I had given them...coincidence? I don't think so, they waited until the very last minute to send it back because I'd caused problems for them. I contacted the advertising standards people, only to be told they had had no other complaints so they couldn't follow up mine!:mad:

Would I recommend Money4Gold??? No way Jose! I took my jewellery to a local jewellers, which I highly recommend other Money Savers do, and received £38 in my hand straight away.:T They were friendly and knowledgeable and weren't surprised at my problems.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure