We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

Luncheon vouchers - has anyone noticed....

Options

Comments

• chalkysoil
    chalkysoil Posts: 1,662 Forumite
    Options
    I use mine at Asda, Tesco, Morrisons, Sainsburys. I have had staff who have never seen them before but this happens less often nowadays, they probably have a staff briefing after I've delayed the queue! No one has ever looked to see if it's food I'm buying, last week I put £8 vouchers towards diet coke and bread. I was once told Tesco Express don't take them because they are 'different' but that might have changed.
  • stressedaah30
    stressedaah30 Posts: 1,332 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 7 October 2009 at 9:33AM
    Options
    i trieds to use mine in mcdonalds different ones and always been told there a franchise so cant use them even tho theres mcdonalds logo on booklet
    so im saving any i get for tesco for xmas food/drink
    JAN WINS- pepsi tshirt,
  • goldilocks1704
    Options
    I also used to use mine in maccy d's until recently, the same maccy's that used to accept them are now telling me there are 2 different colours of lV, mine are blue and they no longer accept the blue ones only the red ones. Not sure what to believe!! sounds bizarre to me.
    Also my local Morrisons cafe accept them without any question.
    :j:j :j:j
  • mustbemoreorganised
    Options
    I used mine in Tescos on clothes and wine but when I tried to use some more last week I was told alcohol was not allowed.
  • honeyD
    honeyD Posts: 855 Forumite
    Options
    I used to get these from Pinecone and used them in Morrisons mostly but sometimes Asda.
    I remember going in before xmas last year with loads of them, about £80 worth in £4 bookelts and when she was putting them all through it crashed the computer! :eek:
    They do look at you funny when you pass them over but after they checked they accepted them, Ive never been refused.
    I now find it easier to just get the money into my Paypal instead, means I can spend it anywhere then! :T
    Weight loss November 09-January 10: [STRIKE]13lbs[/STRIKE] [STRIKE]20lbs[/STRIKE] 27lbs! :j
  • Chocmonster7
    Chocmonster7 Posts: 2,606 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I also used to use mine in maccy d's until recently, the same maccy's that used to accept them are now telling me there are 2 different colours of lV, mine are blue and they no longer accept the blue ones only the red ones. Not sure what to believe!! sounds bizarre to me.

They have changed the voucher colour recently but I think that was more to do with bringing in 'use by' dates on them. At least that is the only difference we could find on them!
  • 23rdspiral
    23rdspiral Posts: 1,929 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Car Insurance Carver! Xmas Saver!
    Options
    well, i remembered i had some on me today and paid at the self service till in Mr Ts - though i did ask first - the assistant took them and showed the supervisor who came and said that if the machine took them, it was fine...

so i paid for all of my shop, £3.00, with luncheon vouchers. :D
    (oh, and i bought 2 reduced plants and got 2 free plant pots so the total would theoretically have been £12.00.) i was dead chuffed. :D
    Relax, Breathe, Love 2014 Challenges:Cross Stitch Cafe Challenger 23. Frugal Living Challenger. No buying cleaning products. I used MSE advice to reduce my car insurance from 550 to 325!! & paid it off in full!!!
  • brokeinwales
    Options
    23rdspiral wrote: »
    well, i remembered i had some on me today and paid at the self service till in Mr Ts - though i did ask first - the assistant took them and showed the supervisor who came and said that if the machine took them, it was fine...

so i paid for all of my shop, £3.00, with luncheon vouchers. :D
    (oh, and i bought 2 reduced plants and got 2 free plant pots so the total would theoretically have been £12.00.) i was dead chuffed. :D

You can use them on the self-service machine? How does that work? (Just out of interest!)
  • BeenieCat
    BeenieCat Posts: 6,567 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 12 October 2009 at 4:27PM
    Options
    I too get looked at as if i just gave them my dogs poo on a plate when handing these over lol!!

But like others, after they've checked with supervisors they have never been refused. I've been using mine mostly in McD's and they've never batted an eyelid in there.

I find i have more problems trying to use the Healthy Start vouchers, they must have had some trouble from management about these because both Asda and Morrys insist on printing off a copy of my receipt and adding up if i've spent the correct amount on fruit and vegetables and me getting a lecture if i spent 1p too little by accident :rolleyes: Feel like scum using these tbh.
  • zebz
    zebz Posts: 16 Forumite
    Options
    I've only just been given some luncheon vouchers so sorry if this is a silly question.... can I use my luncheon vouchers for my normal grocery shop in Tesco? Taking it literally I thought I could only use them for buying things like sandwiches, take-away meals etc. :o
    It would be great to use for the weekly shop if that's possible.
    Thanks
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.2K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.6K Life & Family
  • 249K Travel & Transport