Luncheon vouchers - has anyone noticed....

Options
that there's a bit of inconsistency in the acceptance?

I mean, most places you hand them over and the cashier looks at you as if you just gave them Japanese Yen, but if they're feeling helpful, eventually after a bit of calling the supervisor and annoying everyone behind you in the queue, you do sometimes get them accepted.

But I have also had problems with places listed on the website, and the back of the vouchers (Morrisons in particular) saying that no, actually, they won't take them. I once had a weird exerience when I wasn't allowed to pay for my breakfast bap in the supermarket cafe with them, but they were accepted as a discount off my grocery shop (maybe too strict interpretation of "luncheon"?!)

Anyone else had these problems? And are they really so rare that so many supermarket/ restaurant staff have never seen them before?!

Comments

• flea72
    flea72 Posts: 5,392 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    luncheon vouchers arent that popular anymore, so no, most shop staff havent come across them before

supermarkets do take them, but as you say, they wont in the restauran/cafe. mainly due to the fact most supermarket cafes arent owned/run by the store, so dont fall under the companies that accept LVs

also alot of the fast food chains are franchises, and again they dont have to accept the vouchers if they dont want to

Even if a company is listed as participating in the scheme, you are still required to ask the sales assistant before commencing your transaction, whether they are accepted or not

Flea
  • sarah1972
    sarah1972 Posts: 18,959 Senior Ambassador
    Homepage Hero Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I use luncheon vouchers most months and never had any problems?

I use them in Tesco, KFC and Boots
    I’m a Senior Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on Competitions Time, Shopping & Freebies boards, Employment, Jobseeking & Training boards If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • brokeinwales
    Options
    sarah1972 wrote: »
    I use luncheon vouchers most months and never had any problems?

I use them in Tesco, KFC and Boots

Do you have to buy food in Boots, or will they accept them on anything?
  • Miss_Laid
    Miss_Laid Posts: 6,212 Forumite
    Options
    Do you have to buy food in Boots, or will they accept them on anything?

Food only every time I have used them in boots
    Anyone can cuddle but only the Welsh can cwtch :)
  • hellokitty08
    hellokitty08 Posts: 1,878 Forumite
    Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    I use mine mainly in Tesco, Morrisons and Asda, I always get a look like i just handed them a wet fish! lol, I tell them that they usually get put through as coupons, not vouchers and most of them just do as I say. Sometimes I have to wait for the supervisor to come over, but I have never been refused them.

Even had a lucky day the other day where they got put through for £4 instead of £3, good times!
    Debt free since July 2013! Woo hoo! The bank actually laughed when I said I have come in to cancel my overdraft.
  • Chocmonster7
    Chocmonster7 Posts: 2,606 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    My Mum and I use ours in Morrisons against our weekly shop and yes we usually have to tell the till operator how to enter them!

Had one last week who insisted that she "couldn't give change!" in a very stearn warning voice, wouldn't mind but she was only talking about 1p so on this occasion we let Mr Morrisons have that... :rolleyes:
  • pixwix
    pixwix Posts: 122 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    What do Tescos think they're up to with such measures? What DO they think the effect is on the general public?

If these steps needed to be taken at all, they needed to be taken very quietly, with the minimum of public fuss - just instruct staff properly.

But - as in so much of big business these days - you have PR/advertising depts spending millions on corporate image, while some jerk in central office screws it all up because his self-important world begins and ends at his plush office carpet. And does more damage than the PR dept can mend.

I used to work for a large retail group (not Tescos). And it was like working in a mental institution - upper floors living in a dream world and no-one on lower floors prepared to say anything they didn't think their superiors (and I use that term loosely) wanted to hear. I left when I was told (in effect) that we all had to do what the computers told us!!!

These huge firms congratulate themselves on their business acumen and market share when in fact they operate largely on pure inertia. That cannot last forever - it's only lasted so far because of ineffective monopoly control in the UK. Like the banks, it may all come tumbling down sooner or later.

Academic for me, as I long ago gave up on all the major supermarkets. I'm simply not interested in their 'special' offers (which usually boil down to "you should have been here yesterday" or "you'll need to come back next week". Or their coupons, tracking devices disguised as shoppers cards, or low-quality foodstuffs. My local small shop is indeed more expensive - but I get service, not moronic assistants and interminable queues.
  • flea72
    flea72 Posts: 5,392 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    huh? :confused:

Flea
  • vpb23
    vpb23 Posts: 225 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I used them in morrisons today but i got a strange look from the old women , surely she must have heard of luncheon vouchers, theyve been around for ages. She just said she,d never seen them before and did they accept them, I said yes and she put them through lol:D
    Baby Numner 4 due 7th May 2016 :heart::dance:
  • *manda*
    *manda* Posts: 1,301 Forumite
    Options
    We used some a few weeks ago in a Wetherspoons- they took it off food and booze.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure