PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Great ‘Take care of your wardrobe’ Hunt

Options

Comments

• hayleyunlikely
    Options
    Does anyone have any tips for getting rid of clothes moths and keeping them away? I don't have an enclosed wardrobe, just a rail in my bedroom, with a shelf for linen/towels etc. I've tried mothballs but because it's not an enlosed area, it doesn't seem to keep them away. Please help! I've never had moths before and it's driving me mad!

Thank you!
  • hayleyunlikely
    Options
    if your trouser hem goes at work, don't leave it until you get home to repair as it will have damaged the fold by then and won't repair well. If desperate shove a staple in with the smooth bit of the staple on the inside so you don't catch your leg and not much shows on the outside. No-one will notice and you'll stop damage.

I use sellotape if my hem goes at work - no chance of damage from staples but it's not as long lasting, obviously, if it happens at the beginning of the day and you have to get through the whole day!
  • homealone_2
    homealone_2 Posts: 2,004 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    KatP wrote: »
    Ok My top tips are:

1. Read the washing instructions! Generally follow them although there are some things that are better handwashed than dry cleaned, cashmere for example.
    2. Learn how to sew a hem properly, it is dead easy but lasts better than wunderweb, turn trousers and skirts up too the precise right length so that they aren't catching on the ground when you walk and getting frayed. Also re do hems if they start to come down.
    3. Keep those spare buttons together in the same place so you can find them if needs be. They will come in eventually, even if not for the original outfit!
    4. Buy some laundry bags if you find handwashing a bind, it will help keep knickers, tights and other delicates in good nick even if you machine wash them.
    5. Use a damp tea towel between your iron and your clothes to prevent shiny creases down the front of your trousers.
    6. If you wear suits take both the jacket and trousers/skirt to be dry cleaned together to prevent fading.
    7. Trousers on suits always wear out quicker than the jacket so buy the skirt as well (or two pairs of trousers) so that you get all your wear from the jacket.
    8. Read the labels before you buy, cotton or wool knitwear lasts longer than acrylic and washes better.
    9. Polish your shoes before the first time you wear them and do them regularly to maintain the life, have them reheeled before they are completely worn down.
    10. Treat stains immediately for the best chance to remove them.
    11. Change out of your "good clothes" when you get home from work. Sitting on the sofa in your suit will make it loose its shape. You will also pick up cooking smells and stains, and need to clean them sooner. Protect your clothes from as much wear as possible by wearing easily washable not too expensive things round the house.
    12. Washing your clothes reduces their life span, if you can get away with airing them, ironing them or steaming them but not washing them do.

is it really simple as that? can i really put things in a laundry bag on a machine wash that ordinarily should have gone for a dry clean? within reason obviosly. i am not talking about a silk suit but sometimes you see it on what looks like an ordinary t shirt or long sleeved top?
  • homealone_2
    homealone_2 Posts: 2,004 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Winged_one wrote: »
    I definintely agree about de-bobbling. I have a battery yoke for doing it (got for about €2-3 a few years ago) and it makes jumpers come up like new!!

Definitely repair things early - even if it's only with iron-on wundaweb stuff.

Iron clothes properly - so right across the button area, stretch out the zip cover, get into all the little bits. Makes all the difference to keeping looking smart and also prevents early wearing out on unintentional creases.

Keep your smart clothes, that rarely get an outing, in the spare wardrobe if possible. Rather than bunched up at the end of the everyday wardrobe. Use a suit bag (from when you buy a suit), or a plastic sheet from a dry-cleaning run (with a sheet of tissue paper between clothing and plastic, just at top of hanger, to prevent damage in long term), to cover each item individually and keep dust off etc.

Keep the smart handbags and accessories that also get rare outings, wrapped in tissue paper and stored on a shelf in the spare wardrobe where they won't get squashed. Also, if going to be long time between uses, stuff handbags and shoe toes with tissue paper (or newspaper, but cover outside with tissue to prevent marking) to keep their shape. (And store hats in proper hat boxes, they are cheap, with the crown gently stuffed as before).

Don't overcrowd the hanging space.

Fold clothes being stored flat properly, to prevent bad creases in wrong spots. And try to keep folded piles from getting too high - between weight of clothes causing creases and difficulty getting at clothes on bottom, it's not good.

We use the cedarwood blocks in the spare room and linen cupboard, but in our room, I clip the lavendar buds from the garden when just finished flowering (better for plants anyway) and dry these in bunches. Then I put some in the wardrobe to keep moths etc out and keep clothes smelling nice.

Only EVER wash natural fibres (cotton, wool, linen) in non-biological washing powder. Biological is fine for synthetic fabrics, or ones with a mixture. But bio will eat away at natural fibres over time so anything with a high percentage of natural fibres should be treated with non-bio.

Instead of fabric softener, use some distilled malt vinegar for towels (FS stops them soaking up water) and I tend to use it on natural fibre items also. It doesn't leave any vinegar smell. I also usually add a couple of drops of tea tree or lavendar essential oil to the fabric softener slot with the vinegar.

would the vinegar tip help with my crusty towels? i have asked on here before and carried out the tips suggested and noe beginning to wonder if i have to face up to the fact that my 20 year old towels have to go, problem is i hate to throw anything away and although crusty they look ok lol
  • Missconduct
    Options
    homealone wrote: »
    would the vinegar tip help with my crusty towels? i have asked on here before and carried out the tips suggested and noe beginning to wonder if i have to face up to the fact that my 20 year old towels have to go, problem is i hate to throw anything away and although crusty they look ok lol

I take it you don't have dogs? Our old towels and bed sheets get relegated to be used as dog towels and we could always use more. You could always advertise them on Freecycle as someone might be able to make use of them, rather than throwing them away.
  • bravobeastie
    bravobeastie Posts: 1,946 Forumite
    Options
    Does anyone have any tips for getting rid of clothes moths and keeping them away? I don't have an enclosed wardrobe, just a rail in my bedroom, with a shelf for linen/towels etc. I've tried mothballs but because it's not an enlosed area, it doesn't seem to keep them away. Please help! I've never had moths before and it's driving me mad!

Thank you!

I've heard that hanging a piece of cedar wood on the rail is supposed to be good for keeping moths and moisture away from clothing but not sure if it would work in an open style wardrobe
  • casey972
    casey972 Posts: 30 Forumite
    Options
    A quick reply, sorry time short

Moths-my friend is a tailor and paranoid about moths but likes the window open and the light on while she works!! She swears by rubbing the frame of the window (where it is open) with lavender essential oil. I use it on the door frames as they is where they come in here and it works.

Old towels: our local dog kennel especially asks for old towels, perhaps a kennel near you could use yours?
  • suzikay
    suzikay Posts: 14 Forumite
    Options
    @ 5 - 10 mls, probably. I don't measure the vinegar, just pour a bit into the section of the washing machine. The other advantage is I don't get that slimy build up in there that fabric conditioner leaves.
  • aitchmars
    aitchmars Posts: 10 Forumite
    edited 7 October 2009 at 11:09AM
    Options
    I've found that the little plastic trays in which quails eggs are sold make ideal compartments for earrings in my jewellery box. They're easily cut to fit too. The trays in which chocolates are laid in their boxes are also a good alternative.

A flea comb is effective for removing bobbles from jumpers & other clothing but use with caution as the teeth can catch the yarn & pull a thread.

I keep fabric glue in my bag for emergency hem repairs...
  • System
    System Posts: 178,103 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I like to dress in layers then most of your clothes work year round. Also means you need fewer items (and can justify high quality ones)

I'm also a big fan of waistcoats - not fancy ones but the gilet style that you can zip through to the neck. They really cut down the need for coats, especially in autumn. When I worked would add one under my suit jacket for travelling in. Often use one in combination with a waterproof, which are much more suitable when its siling down than a heavy coat. I generally wear dark colours (ok black, black and the odd grey) so another item doesn't really change the look of your outfit.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure