PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Great ‘Take care of your wardrobe’ Hunt

Comments

• If I've bought a decent pair of heels that I can actually walk distances in, I get them re-heeled immediately with METAL heel tips. It might be a little more expensive than regular tips but they last forever. Plus I love the noise they make when I walk in them :) I've wasted so many pairs of shoes that were comfy to walk in because I wore the heels right down, and this way you never have to get them re-heeled again, saving time AND money!
    :D**Thanks to everyone on here for hints, tips and advice!**:D
    MSEers are often quicker than google

"Freedom is the right to tell people what they don't want to hear" - G. Orwell
  • Maddox wrote: »
    Also, if you IRON your clothes inside-out, you avoid making them shiny. Always use a damp pressing cloth if you have to iron the outside of a skirt of pair of trousers.

As for stain removal and general freshening up, one of the best-kept secrets of retail clothes professionals is BABY WIPES!

Not the fancy ones containing balm or the like, just the plain ordinary ones. I've used them for removing grubby neck marks on pale linen jackets, food stains and all sorts. Make a baby wipe your first resort.

AND they don't leave watermarks!

..... They are also great for removing deodorant marks if you manage to get it all downthe side/front of your top getting dressedin a hurry! And handy for cleaning shoes if you step in a bit of mud! Also dried out baby wipes are good for shining shoes after they've been polished!
  • I organised a "frock swap", sold tickets for £3 inc. drink and nibbles - ticket money to charity. The rules were that you had to bring at least 1 item per person and you got a credit for everything you came with, drsses and coats and occasional wear were 2 credits and then but everything on rails and we had got a frock swap! We had 40 women all different ages and we had a great soical evening as well as getting new outfils, shoes and bags!!!!! Hold one - so easy to organise!!!
  • floss2
    floss2 Posts: 8,030 Forumite
    Winged_one wrote: »
    (My desk drawer is a great resource to many for emergency tissues, painkillers, nail varnish wipes, small spray deodorant, babywipes,,,,,,)

I have a desk drawer like this too!
  • karendb
    karendb Posts: 313 Forumite
    edited 13 September 2023 at 8:11PM
    I haven't got a huge amount of wardrobe space so once the weather gets cooler I pack away all the summer clothes that I have hanging in there into plastic crates and stash them out of the way on top out of sight.

That way I've got room to hang my winter clothes without them getting squashed.

I do the same at the end of winter when I pack away my cold weather stuff and hang up my warmer weather clothes.

It's a good opportunity to check the clothes over.....and to think whether I actually wore it last year.....if not, do I really need it?

Yeah - I do this as well except all our clothes get stored in a suitcase in the loft. Even the kids get excited when I do our changeover as it feels like they're getting new clothes!
    I would love to be lazy but can't find the time:exclamati
  • karendb
    Another one that I don't think anyone has mentioned yet is use the right coathangers for your clothes, especially if you hang jumpers and cardigans up. It really irritates me in shops when I see lovely jumpers on the hanger with those awful sticky out bits on the shoulder because the hanger's too small etc.
  • floss2
    floss2 Posts: 8,030 Forumite
    I also do the change-over thing....currently have most of my summer wardrobe washed & waiting on the spare bed to be packed away!
  • karendb
    I have successfully washed many items that were supposedly dry-clean only, including my husband's suits, my winter coat, kids school blazers etc. I usually turn the items inside out and put them inside a large wash bag, then use the hand wash programme. As soon as the programme has finished, hang the items up to dry. I use a large piece of muslin over the clothes to lightly press them and also use the iron in an upright position to steam them while they are hanging up. Good as new!

Slightly off topic, I have found it much better to wash down and feather duvets rather than dry-clean them. Single ones will fit in a normal washing machine but anything larger will need to be taken to the launderette (still much cheaper than dry-cleaning). Tumble drying them and hanging them out on the washing line on a sunny day afterwards finishes them off beautifully.
  • karendb
    floss2 wrote: »
    I also do the change-over thing....currently have most of my summer wardrobe washed & waiting on the spare bed to be packed away!

Yes - are you like me though hoping that we will have some more lovely sunny weather first before those summer tops get put away?
  • If I've bought a decent pair of heels that I can actually walk distances in, I get them re-heeled immediately with METAL heel tips. It might be a little more expensive than regular tips but they last forever. Plus I love the noise they make when I walk in them :) I've wasted so many pairs of shoes that were comfy to walk in because I wore the heels right down, and this way you never have to get them re-heeled again, saving time AND money!

I was advised by a cobbler not to have metal heels, I can't remember why but it was to do with the shoes.

However there are two problems that I have noticed with metal heel tips, first they are very slippy! If you are out in the rain and walk into a shop with a shiny floor be very careful, I have had my heel slide out from under me in the past. Second when they wear down (which they do) they tend to fall off all of a sudden which rubber tips don't, this leaves you heel unprotected and liable to damage.

I'd suggest finding a good independant cobbler (mine is way better than timpsons and the heels he puts on last longer) and getting the best rubber tips put on and getting them re done before they have worn too low.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure