PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.
🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Submit your suggestions via this form or post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

Great ‘Take care of your wardrobe’ Hunt

Options

Comments

• Uniscots97
    Uniscots97 Posts: 6,685 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    This is not a tip but a question related to this thread - does anyone know where I would get a handbag lining repaired? I have alovely Fiorelli handbag which the lining is completely ripped in. I know Timpsons etc will do the leather bits but anyone ever heard of anywhere who could do the lining?

Take it to your local independent tailor/seamstress, they'll do this sort of thing. Not sure of the cost though.
    CC2 = £8687.86 ([STRIKE]£10000[/STRIKE] )CC1 = £0 ([STRIKE]£9983[/STRIKE] ); Reusing shopping bags savings =£5.80 vs spent £1.05.Wine is like opera. You can enjoy it even if you don't understand it and too much can give you a headache the next day J
  • Uniscots97
    Uniscots97 Posts: 6,685 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    I spruced up an old black leather jacket that was all scuffed with hairspray. Liberally spray it on the scuffed area and work in well with your fingers, once dry spray it again and leave it to dry without touching it. It will look as good as new. To keep it looking like this spray lightly once a month.
    CC2 = £8687.86 ([STRIKE]£10000[/STRIKE] )CC1 = £0 ([STRIKE]£9983[/STRIKE] ); Reusing shopping bags savings =£5.80 vs spent £1.05.Wine is like opera. You can enjoy it even if you don't understand it and too much can give you a headache the next day J
  • floss2 wrote: »
    Use them to tie up a pretty cotton hankie with some dried lavender into scented bags for keeping clothes fresh...
    i always use the little ties in my hair, they match the dresses i take them of and look very pretty x
  • Ladies, if your white underwear has gone a bit grey, dye it a nice bright colour to tone in with your fave wardrobe items.

I would also suggest investing in having your "colours" done so you don't waste money buying things that don't suit you, never will, and just take up space. also when you know your best colours most of your clothes will go together and you will look GREAT in them.

As far as black cotton and linen that fades, and also shows up white threads, cat hairs, your hairs, etc even if you do wash it inside out - re-dye the lot black every few months. It will cover over the hairs and threads too and all your blacks will match each other again instead of being shades of grey.

(off topic, but I cannot resist saving those little strips of ribbon that are inside everything from sweaters to trousers these days. I snip them off as I don't use them for hanging things but they must be useful for something .....???)
    I always use the little hanging ties as ribbons for my hair. they always match the summer dresses i take them of and look so pretty, hopefully summers gonna last a bit longer! x :j
  • ModernSlave
    Options
    If it's not in a noticable area I dab a bit of clear nail varnish around to help stop ladders and holes from growing any larger.
  • floss2
    floss2 Posts: 8,030 Forumite
    Options
    ...When we first met about 20 yrs ago, my DH bought me a coat, very classic, long, black. I still wear it for funerals etc. ( when I was working it was my 'Court' coat!) It is now looking a bit threadbare on the lapels...

I wonder if you could reface them & the collar with black velvet..? And maybe add velvet trim to the edge of the cuffs?
  • Missconduct
    Options
    suzikay wrote: »
    I also use white vinegar instead of fabric softener - we found it cheapest in a big container from the greengrocer and it lasts for ages. No nasty niffs, either, if used sparingly.

When you say "sparingly", how much would you use in one load so as to avoid the vinegar smell?

Thanks!
  • laura-lovecat
    Options
    I have a pair of black and white leather shoes which were quite scuffed. I read on the internet that nail polish helps get scuffs out of white leather so I gave it a try and it worked really well they look brand new. Just be very careful and work in small areas if you are going to try this though!
  • Katie-Kat-Kins
    Options
    floss2 wrote: »
    I wonder if you could reface them & the collar with black velvet..? And maybe add velvet trim to the edge of the cuffs?

My "court" coat, has a removable astrakhan collar, it would be dead easy to make something similar to cover the threadbare bits, you could make a fairly subtle one like my black astrakhan, and have a big furry one too for more casual occasions.
  • ironed_out
    ironed_out Posts: 153 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    (off topic, but I cannot resist saving those little strips of ribbon that are inside everything from sweaters to trousers these days. I snip them off as I don't use them for hanging things but they must be useful for something .....???)

I snip these off and use them to attach gift tags to Christmas presents :)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 8 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.6K Travel & Transport