PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Great ‘Take care of your wardrobe’ Hunt

Options

Comments

• Mazzarati2000
    Options
    (off topic, but I cannot resist saving those little strips of ribbon that are inside everything from sweaters to trousers these days. I snip them off as I don't use them for hanging things but they must be useful for something .....???)[/QUOTE]

They are PERFECT for ribbon in card making ( provided they don't have text on them!)
  • chrissie55
    chrissie55 Posts: 102 Forumite
    Options
    I don't bother wearing white; it magnetises stains, & takes more energy to keep white. No tumble-dryer; we dry clothes outside, on hangers if possible, keeping t-shirts, etc., in shape. Black things I dry inside-out, or in the shed to stop sun-fade. There are always cloves & lavender in the wardrobe to keep the dreaded moth out.
  • NualaBuala
    NualaBuala Posts: 2,507 Forumite
    Options
    (off topic, but I cannot resist saving those little strips of ribbon that are inside everything from sweaters to trousers these days. I snip them off as I don't use them for hanging things but they must be useful for something .....???)

I used them for gift-wrapping some of Twink's homemade hobnobs. I stacked the cookies, wrapped in foil to get a cylinder shape, then wrapped again with greaseproof or brown paper and tied the ends with the bits of ribbon to get a Christmas cracker effect.
    Trying to spend less time on MSE so I can get more done ... it's not going great so far! :)
    Sorry if I don't reply to posts - I'm having MAJOR trouble keeping up these days!

Frugal Living Challenge 2011

Sealed Pot #671 :A DFW Nerd #1185
  • roodles_2
    roodles_2 Posts: 16 Forumite
    Options
    A fabric debobbler such as the D-Fuzz-It comb only costs about a pound from haberdashers (and you can often get them on Ebay). You drag them across your bobbly jumpers to make them look like new - very effective!
    You can shave the bobbles off with a disposable razor. Use the one that you or hubby have chucked away as it will blunt it. - take care not to snag a loose thread tho!
  • Mazzarati2000
    Mazzarati2000 Posts: 401 Forumite
    edited 7 October 2009 at 5:31PM
    Options
    NualaBuala wrote: »
    I used them for gift-wrapping some of Twink's homemade hobnobs. I stacked the cookies, wrapped in foil to get a cylinder shape, then wrapped again with greaseproof or brown paper and tied the ends with the bits of ribbon to get a Christmas cracker effect.

Great idea! Will consider that in future, - don't make nearly as many cards as I should!:rolleyes:

Also, - re-bobbles ; my dry cleaner (knowing we also have horses) showed me what she uses for removing bobbles & I recognised it instantly! Can't remember what they're 'branded' as, but it looks like a giant, black, square pumice stone; available in any good saddlers/tack shop, & intended for removing woolly ponies coats! Works a treat......
  • wildthing01
    Options
    (off topic, but I cannot resist saving those little strips of ribbon that are inside everything from sweaters to trousers these days. I snip them off as I don't use them for hanging things but they must be useful for something .....???)

i do that too!! thought i was the only one - got a massive selection in different colours - no idea what to use them for - will prob end up throwing them out!!!!!!
  • JoE
    JoE Posts: 85 Forumite
    Options
    Try a mix of essential oils - there are lots that act as insect repellents, particularly:
    - citronella,
    - lavender,
    - rosemary (apparently not good if you have high blood pressure)
    - eucalyptus,
    - tea tree,
    - bergamot,

I use a mixture of lavendar, rosemary and citronella, but you can play around to find the most effective or a smell you like. Be careful not to get it on your clothes though, as they can stain - best bet is on wood or fabric placed nearby, then top up as necessary.

Essential oils can be expensive, but you only need a few drops at a time so a small bottle will last for years. Or if you haven't got much cash, try growing fresh herbs or hanging bunches to dry in the room - I used to work next door to a fishing tackle shop with a dodgy freezer so there were a lot of flies around, but this kept them out of our shop (we used rosemary and lavender). Not moths, I know, but the principle is the same...

JoE
  • dk2401
    dk2401 Posts: 40 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    If your clothes don't get that dirty when you wash them, use colour care washing detergents. They really reduce fading over the medium term, especially to darker coloured things.
    The old tip of using shoe polish to re-colour old leather jackets works a treat too! :A
  • Nessa56
    Nessa56 Posts: 946 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker PPI Party Pooper
    Options
    Great idea! Will consider that in future, - don't make nearly as many cards as I should!:rolleyes:

Also, - re-bobbles ; my dry cleaner (knowing we also have horses) showed me what she uses for removing bobbles & I recognised it instantly! Can't remember what they're 'branded' as, but it looks like a giant, black, square pumice stone; available in any good saddlers/tack shop, & intended for removing woolly ponies coats! Works a treat......

They are branded as ZEGO blocks in dry cleaners if that helps

v
    x
    SEALED POT CHALLENGE 6 - MEMBER NUMBER 086 Special Star from Sue :staradmin :T:T
  • Tuneful_2
    Options
    I keep my necklaces on little hooks which are stuck inside my wardrobe doors and since I've done this I wear them all regularly and they never get tangled!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure