We've changed the name of this board from 'Greenfingered MoneySaving' to simply 'Gardening'. This is to help make it easier to find for the horticulturally inclined. The URL remains unchanged for the time being, so all links to the board are unaffected.

Worms and Wormeries (Merged Discussion Thread)

Comments

• troll35
    troll35 Posts: 712 Forumite
    I have read in other wormery related threads that fishing tackle shops are often a good source of wormery worms. I'm sure someone wil correct me if I'm wrong;)
    I like to live in cloud cuckoo land :hello:
  • Try https://www.wigglywrigglers.co.uk
    They sell the Bokashi stuff so should be able to advise. They will be able help with your worm problem too!!:D
  • martindow
    martindow Posts: 10,198
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    Try http://www.thebluesun.co.uk/em.htm
    EM and bokashi info and stuff for sale.
  • Hi, I'm new round here but I have used the wormery things from http://www.wigglywigglers.co.uk/ for several years and wouldn't go anywhere else, they are friendly and helpful.
  • CannyAnnie wrote:
    Hi, I'm new round here

Welcome to the Moneysavingexpert.com Green board :)
  • You can find the worms you need for free! If you look in a pile of rotting manure or maturing compost you'll hopefully see lots of small red worms with yellow bands. These are known as tiger worms or red wrigglers or brandling worms or Elsenia foetida and maybe some other names? These are the same worms sold in fishing shops as bait and companies for use in wormeries. They are different from earthworms as they are more effective in composting.

Horse manure heaps are particularly good places to look. Simply dig up a lump of manure with lots of worms in, put it in your wormery to start it off and gradually add more waste.
  • Whatever you do - don't buy your worms from wigglywrigglers.

I've no doubt that they are lovely people, reputable , good customer service etc etc - but soooooo expensive. Agree with earlier post - go to an angling shop, cheaper by far.

:j
  • My wormery has been going for 8 years with worms from an angling shop. Wormery itself was free as 'Gardening Which' wanted volunteers to try them out for an article they were doing.
  • Maz
    Maz Posts: 1,405
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Hello all you fabulous peeps!

I've got a wormery which is great for all the tea bags, spud peelings et al. What I want to know is, to get all that eco-friendly compost out of it, how do I do that without distrubing the worms? How far down do they go? I don't want to wreck their lives etc, don't even know what they look like! Any advice would be gladly received! :think: :think:
    'The only thing that helps me keep my slender grip on reality is the friendship I have with my collection of singing potatoes'

Sleepy J.
  • What type of wormery is it? If it's a sectional one with trays the worms should be working their way upwards, leaving a tray when all the waste has been eaten.

If you are really stuck why not send an email to wiggly wigglers for advice?

[EMAIL="wiggly@wigglywigglers.co.uk"]wiggly@wigglywigglers.co.uk[/EMAIL]

HTH
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family