MONEY MORAL DILEMMA. What's the price of romance?

Options

Comments

• Gavin83
    Gavin83 Posts: 8,753 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    signol wrote: »
    Firstly, to all those who said fly - the original problem is that flights are also more expensive.
    I'd still offer to take her, but another way... either take Eurolines (from £25 book in advance, or walk up for £42 each way) or maybe drive and take a ferry accross the channel. Even driving for two might be cheaper than £300.

signol

I flew to Paris for £40 return once. That really isn't expensive.
  • PhiltheBear
    Options
    He CAN afford it. Therefore, he SHOULD afford it. There's no dilemma here at all. It'll cost him extra but that's because he was stupid enough not to get the cheap tickets. It would be different if he couldn't afford it but he can.

I can't see why anyone would think he should do otherwise.
  • signol
    signol Posts: 336 Forumite
    Options
    Gavin83 wrote: »
    I flew to Paris for £40 return once. That really isn't expensive.

I know that it is possible, but in the original problem, the dates requested only had expensive flights, just like the Eurostar is also expensive.
    but there are no cheap trains or flights left
    What I'm saying is that the Eurolines coach has a fare of £42 each way, as an absolute maximum fare!

signol
  • Agent3211
    Options
    If he tells her that he can't really afford it or it was more than he thought it was going to cost, I'm sure she'll say it's ok and doesn't matter. But believe me, it will be thrown back at him in their next argument!!
    :rotfl:
  • Pee
    Pee Posts: 3,826 Forumite
    Options
    It sounds like he suggested the idea without doing any research but then did the research as soon as he realised how keen she was - in that case, it's just the way things are and not that he has been dim.

I think he should discuss it with her, giving her the option of going, but also check out another time - possibly when something she would enjoy is happening - i.e. Mozart in the Sant Chappelle. If he gives her the option, I'm sure they can agree another weekend.

It is also worth giving her the options on travel. Possibly Eurolines is an option if the journey won't be too long, or flying if they are based regionally, although Eurostar would be far and away the nicest. A £1 Ryanair flight to venice might be even more magical in her opinion, though - and then he could book the Eurostar in plenty of time for a lovely surprise next year!

For the men who say she'll understand, I'm sure she will, but the consensus seems to be, if she's brilliant, pay it and go... and the trouble is that's the bit I'd understand, sorry, love, you're just not worth the effort...
  • 1ec
    1ec Posts: 14 Forumite
    Options
    Of course he should take her.:hello:

And next year he will be able to take her again for £59, as he will book well in advance.:T:j
  • Sukalor
    Options
    He could use his Tesco Clubcard vouchers to pay for the ticket. He would only have to use £75 of vouchers for the £300 ticket so would only be £11 worse off. Then he should pack a picninc which would save him the cost of food at the services. Job done!:rotfl:
    :rotfl::j:rotfl:
    2011 aim - to save all my spare change!

It's nice to be important but it's more important to be nice
  • mr-tom_2
    Options
    He could go on the ferry instead. Would cost him all of £20 plus petrol (for the car, not the ferry! :) )
  • dahjoh
    dahjoh Posts: 47 Forumite
    Options
    Explain the situation and let her choose. Although, if he can afford it then he should take her and learn the lesson next time to get it all sorted before making rash promises
  • brokeinwales
    Options
    He could use his Tesco Clubcard vouchers to pay for the ticket. He would only have to use £75 of vouchers for the £300 ticket so would only be £11 worse off. Then he should pack a picninc which would save him the cost of food at the services. Job done!

I love the mental picture I have of Edward Cullen collecting clubcard vouchers.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.5K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure