Options

Comments

• System
    System Posts: 178,098 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    tywanda46 wrote: »
    Hi,
    Could anyone help me please? I have a friend who has been recently diagnosed with bipolar type I. She has been off work now for almost a year. She has worked in a large organisation for over 20 years within the security dept. The job is extremely stressful as it mainly involves dealing with emergencies. She is having great problems trying to get medical retirement. Her psychiatrist is not willing to write to her employers to say she will never be able to work there again as he wants to try her on different types of medication first. However my friend is convinced she can no longer go back and has also developed agrophobia. Does anyone know of an organisation where my friend could get legal help please?
    ACAS may be able to provide advice on employment problems on 08457 47 47 47

Rethink and MDF(manic depression fellowship) both have helplines but i'm not sure if they can offer legal advice.

Is there an Occupational Health Advisory Service where she lives? Mine is attached to my GPs and offer advice for free
  • Been on Seroquel for approx 6 months now & up until recently I hadn't noticed any weight gain. I had already put on weight over the last few years due to other meds & although my weight at present isn't ideal, it was stable. However, I have started to gain weight even though my diet hasn't changed. How do other people manage their weight when it's meds related?
  • theboybest
    Options
    Hi Guys,

Just thought I would say hello to you all!

I was diagnosed with cyclothymia a few years back, I was getting treated with Sodium Valproate 2500mg and Mirtazpine 45mg per day.

Since then I have gained (no joke) about 3.5 stone.:eek:

I was then put on Sertroline 150mg per day with the SV.

I recently had another diagnosis of Bi-Polar II and had a massive manic episode (before Christmas) followed by a huge depressive episode (currently working through it).

I am now on the Sodium Valproate and weening onto Lamotrogine as well (instead of the Sertroline):(

Has anyone else been on this combo? If so how is it working out for you? At this present minute in time, I feel as though I am going out of my mind!:wall:
  • de1amo
    de1amo Posts: 3,401 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    when i was in the first stages of being diagnosed as wise sage of a psychiatrist slapped down a trainee doctor when he diagnosed me as bi polar because to make a medically accepted diagnosis i had to have at least 2 episodes to be a confirmed Bi polar---a Gp could never make that diagnosis because the manic episode would have needed hospitalisation in a MH.

İ strongly suggest the person with a friend in security work to hang on to her job! a big organisation can find a job for her in a less stressful arena --once the right meds are found a Manic can function just as well as any other person in employment.---i was medically retired but now work full time --but the interceeeding period of unemployment had very bad psychological affects on my esteem!--it took a long time to rebuild and i think i would have been better off staying employed!!
    mfw'11 No68- 55k mortgage İO--little to nothing saved! i must do better.
  • Anubis_2
    Anubis_2 Posts: 4,077 Forumite
    Options
    My daughter can go up and down in a matter of a couple of hours. She is going to Uni and doing alright but I know she has episodes while there, she certainly does at home. I think it can affect everyone differently.
    How people treat you becomes their karma; how you react becomes yours.
  • Trialia
    Trialia Posts: 1,108 Forumite
    Options
    Anubis, so do I, which is why they initially didn't want to diagnose me with bipolar disorder--it took years for them to admit that yes, there is such a thing as ultra-rapid - or ultradian - cycling and I do have it! I never used to cycle so fast before I was given Seroxat aged 16, that set me off and I've been an ultradian cycler ever since. I can go from suicidal to thoroughly manic in 5 hours at the fastest, though fortunately it tends to be more over days than hours for me at present.
    Homosexual, Unitarian, young, British, female, disabled. Do you need more?
  • the_devil_made_me_do_it
    Options
    Has anyone successfully lost weight whilst taking bipolar medication?

All the meds I take are well known for weight gain & don't I know it.

Have recently started a diet & going to the gym, but I'm not hopeful that I will see any results.
  • ~Chameleon~
    ~Chameleon~ Posts: 11,956 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Yes, lamotrigine doesn't usually cause weight gain :)
    “You can please some of the people some of the time, all of the people some of the time, some of the people all of the time, but you can never please all of the people all of the time.”
  • System
    System Posts: 178,098 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Has anyone successfully lost weight whilst taking bipolar medication?

All the meds I take are well known for weight gain & don't I know it.

Have recently started a diet & going to the gym, but I'm not hopeful that I will see any results.
    Not sure, i take olanzapine which is known for weight gain. Have been exercising pretty much daily and dieting and so far have managed to put on weight :(

Got an appointment with my GP on tuesday to discuss whether my meds are affecting me and to see if they can offer any help (though i also want my thyroid checking as ive had abnormal results before and have symptoms-so it could be that).

However i know someone on the same bipolar meds who has managed to lose about 5 stone :eek: so i think it affects people differently
  • the_devil_made_me_do_it
    Options
    I think in my case the main culprit is Seroquel. Although I think Lamotrigine can cause weight gain depending on the person.

As with anything, I suppose it's all dependent on the person. Meds affect people in different ways. I was just wondering whether others affected by weight gain due to their meds have managed to lose weight.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.5K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure