PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

OS Daily Thur 3rd Sept 09

Options
N9eav
N9eav Posts: 4,742 Forumite
edited 3 September 2009 at 6:52AM in Old style MoneySaving
Hi there! This is the Daily Thread for 3rd September! It is an 'Over the garden fence' type thread where we chat about everything Old Style and maybe a little bit more. It’s a great, inspiring and motivating thread we start each day to discuss what Old Style things we’re going to do today or what we’ve achieved already. Everyone’s welcome, please do come in, put your feet up (although check the fence hasn’t just been painted first!) and join us for an Old Style natter. The more the merrier!
As this is the Old Style Board, it would be appreciated if posts could include some Old Style content. Please be aware that many people may have small screens, or slow internet connections, so please don’t post large pictures, or clip art – links are preferred.
Please do not start a new Daily Thread before you go to bed at night because this often leaves things confusing with two Dailys' live at the same time. The idea is that a member would start each new Daily Thread after they get up in the morning.
Some people who chat here like to try to answer everyone. Don’t feel you have to though, a general “Hi everyone, hope you are all well” type start is just as good.

Morning.

What a windy night, blowing a gale down this way and rain in buckets. Last night the grass was muddy under foot like it can be in Winter. Will we ever see the sun again?

Eventually pulled myself away from a few hours in work and then went to Truro with the OH for a bit. Had a disgusting hamburger in Wetherspoons which seemed even more mass produced and microwaved than normal (microwaved the relish too). Pint was good though. It rained and rained and Sport direct were doing a mass trade in £2.99 umbrellas. I got one too!

So glad to get home, eat left over Chinese food and enjoy some wine and watch Harry Potter.

Not sure what to do today. Looks wet again!

Need to not spend money!

Cheers have a nice day
NO to pasty tax We won!!!! Just shows that people power works! Don't be apathetic to your cause!

Comments

• Bitsy_Beans
    Bitsy_Beans Posts: 9,640 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Morning everyone.
    Like N9eav it's been really windy and wet here. Just popped out to put wheelie bin by roadside and it's freezing!!! Can I legitimately start wearing jumpers now it's september?!!!
    Not much happening today (which can only mean more NSD at least ;)).
    Visiting friends this morning and going to babysit my mum this afternoon. she's injured her back (not the first time she has a history of this) and is laid up good and proper. am a bit worried about her being at home on her own this morning (my dad has to go to work this morning, apparantly the Minister of Transport is visiting this morning at his work I think - not sure why). I offered to cancel but she won't hear of it. But when she can't lift her legs properly or even get out of bed that easily I am going to worry. So be round to hers in the afternoon.
    Been awake since 5am courtesy of DD. She was wet and nappy had leaked so changed her and had to rock her off to sleep. Just as I'd done that DS woke up so no back to bed for me :( Bad Mummy alert but I can see an afternoon at my mums of watching kids TV as i always seem to flag in the afternoon if I've been awake so early. DD will no doubt have a nap this afternoon as she's sleeping in so I think me and DS can laze of the sofa while I "rest" my eyes LOL!

Tea tonight will probably be something with chips. got some washing to hang up inside and probably half a load to put on. Housework has gone to pot this week, might try and get bathroom done before I go out this morning (after another cup of coffe methinks!).

Sorry for the waffle :o
    Have a good day OS or not. Hugs to those that need them.
    I have a gift for enraging people, but if I ever bore you it'll be with a knife :D Louise Brooks
    All will be well in the end. If it's not well, it's not the end.
    Be humble for you are made of earth. Be noble for you are made of stars
  • tru
    tru Posts: 9,138 Forumite
    First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    Morning :hello:

Mr tru wanted to freeze some habaneros, so he starting chopping them up. I was sat 8ft away, my eyes started watering, I could taste the chilis and the tip of my tongue was burning for the rest of the evening :D Next time, I'm going to leave the room and mr tru is going to wear goggles and a mask :rotfl:

Thanks to whoever recommended The Book Depository (I can't remember who it was, sorry :o ), I ordered the Complete Tightwad Gazette for £13.26 and it arrived yesterday :T So today I will be reading. A lot :D
    Bulletproof
  • AussieLass
    AussieLass Posts: 4,066 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Morning all,

I accidently pressed *like It* on your post instead of the thanks button N9eav. Have no idea why they are putting so many bells & whistle's on the screen. Or is it just me. :D Just got home from town. Hair isn't too bad. She dries it off a bit differently than me. Think french poodle. :rolleyes:

Leftovers tonight with strawberries & icecream for dessert. I was going over to shop/library tomorrow but they're having a market day on Saturday. They have good specials so I'll wait until then. The library is open Sat morn too. It's Fathers Day here on Sunday so will have a family lunch of some sort. DH usually gets loads of chocolates, which I help demolish. :D

Smokybabe After telling us your kitchen is nearly finished, remember we demand photo's when it's finished.
    CM Have a great time on your mini-holiday.
    Bitsy Hope your Mum has a restful day & you get some shut eye too. ;)

Well I better go and get the clothes in seeing as we've had sunshine all day. :p <hugs> to those not well. Byeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
    Don't worry about the world coming to an end today. It's already tomorrow in Australia. ;)

• redruby
    redruby Posts: 7,317 Forumite
    Options
    Morning all,

Terrible night here too, wet and stormy, it looks brighter this morning, but we are due more rain i think. I must admit I do like the changing of the seasons, and I even look forward to winter :o.

Anyhoo off to work today, hm burger and chips today, veggie burger for dd, and I need to do some washing tonight, its so hard to get it dry in this weather, but needs must.

The chutney I made yesterday has not gone thick enough, will it help to reboil it for a while??? :confused:, I noticed that OH has taken a jar in for his work mate, I would rather he had waited for me to reboil it :o, but still.

My mum popped round yesterday and bought me some fish for the freezer, which was on offer in mr T, and a tin of sweets for c*******s, :D bless her, they are struggling for money, and she still thinks of others, I was not here when she came, but will remember to give her the cash back next week, she is lovely :D

Ok better get on, have fun all xx
  • AussieLass
    AussieLass Posts: 4,066 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I'd re-boil it Ruby and add some cornflour mixed with water or just flour & water. My chutney is always thickened like that. Can't you just kill DH's sometimes. :rolleyes: Who was the tin of sweets for? What sort of fish was it? :rotfl:
    Don't worry about the world coming to an end today. It's already tomorrow in Australia. ;)

• halight
    halight Posts: 3,629 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Morning all:j:j
    Very windy and wet here.

I did not post yesterday as i had a slpitting head:eek: much better this morning.
    Dinnner last night was roast lamb breast. with veg and rost spuds. Very tasty.

Dinner tonight will be somthing with the left over roast lamb.

Not much going on here today. my wife is at work this morning so im looking after the twins for a few hours. thay have a moring nap for about 2 hours so that really cuts its down. and gives me a chance to do a couple of jobs.

I did get my grass cut on monday before the rain started:T got some weeding done too so pleased with that. did a bit tooo much in one go i think as it worn me out.
    But never mind i enjoyed the fresh air anyway.

We have started to think about christmas here (early i know:eek:) as it wont be long in coming.
    as money is tight this year and we never know what to buy people anyway we have decided to make our own. We shall be making table arangements for people only small ones with a candal and flowers and stuff.
    We shall and off the twins we shall be givving them a photo of them stuck on a bit of card with a ribon to hang it on and one of them little canaldals
    on the bottem.

Well i hope that you will all have a great day everyone

enjoy yourselfs:j:j

Richard
    :jYou can have everything you wont in lfe, If you only help enough other people to get what they wont.:j
  • redruby
    redruby Posts: 7,317 Forumite
    edited 3 September 2009 at 8:00AM
    Options
    AussieLass wrote: »
    I'd re-boil it Ruby and add some cornflour mixed with water or just flour & water. My chutney is always thickened like that. Can't you just kill DH's sometimes. :rolleyes: Who was the tin of sweets for? What sort of fish was it? :rotfl:

Thanks Aussie, will give that a go, the sweeties are for christmas, I did not want to mention the word just yet, in case it sent anyone into a frenzy of shopping and baking :D

The fish is ........................ Smoked Vietnemese River cobbler :p:embarasse_pale_:shhh: Just don't tell anyone :D
    xx
  • bargainbird
    bargainbird Posts: 3,771 Forumite
    Options
    Morning :hello:

OK we have the correct day now for DD1 going back to school :o:D, The trial run yesterday helped so much :o:D.

Flipping windy and rainy last night here too. Bright but windy today (no not me the weather :D).

Tea tonight will be Ham egg and chips (posh one from reciepe book :confused:). Can i freeze the bone until i have the split green peas to make pea and ham soup?

Everyones been fed and watered, so now off to wash and dress DS1.

Hope you all have a good day x
    You know your getting old when you
    go to the pub sit outside
    and admire the hanging basket :cool:
    Is officially 48% tight :D
  • lillibet_dripping
    Options
    Good morning all:j
    Just rushing in to say hi before first day back at school. Actually, I tell a lie - I've been in for two days already! A day to get the food tech room straight and yesterday staff training.
    Very grey and windy here - just what kids need. They always seem so hyper on windy days!
    DD is on her way back from Dorset today after a few days with her friend's family. Am looking forward to getting back into a daily routine now. She doesn't start back to school until next Wed so still have a few days to do the name-tape sewing, hockey stick finding etc:eek:
    Haven't read back yet, but will treat myself to that when I get home and put my feet up with a cup of tea.
    Have a good day all,
    Lilli
    x
    :j[DFW Nerd club #1142 Proud to be dealing with my debt:TDMP start date April 2012. Amount £21862:eek:April 2013 = £20414:T April 2014 = £11000 :TApril 2015 = £9500 :T April 2016 = £7200:T
    DECEMBER 2016 - Due to moving house/down-sizing NO MORTGAGE; NO OVERDRAFT; NO DEBTS; NO CREDIT CARDS; NO STORE-CARDS; NO LOANS = FREEDOM:j:j:beer::j:j:T:T
  • mioliere
    mioliere Posts: 6,838 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hi everyone - overslept at Chez France this morning, so a bad start to the day! I hope you all have better weather today. It's been raining here, too, and windy so I think we're all sharing the same band of yuk out there.

Halight - glad you're feeling better today. I think making Christmas pressies is brilliant. I try and make most of mine - I knit and crochet which comes in really useful at pressie time. I think your idea of table arrangements is really good because they will long-lasting.

Aussie - I did laugh at the idea of an Oz-French poodle!

Well, I'd better get on with something, I suppose. I'm going to do some baking this morning because we've run out of cakes. Dinner tonight is left-over stew from the freezer with chips - one of our favourites!

I have lots of men to look at these days - the farmer opposite is laying new drainage to one of this fields so there is a lot of digging going on and, sometimes, the men take their shirts off!! Steady on, there. Haven't heard from Nelski for a while - if this isn't a cue for one of her piccies, I don't know what is!

Have a great day everyone.

KathyXX
    KNIT YOUR SQUARE TOTALS:

Squares: 11, Animal blankets: 2
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business