September 2009 Grocery Challenge

edited 9 September 2009 at 6:36PM in Old Style MoneySaving
1.1K replies 73.5K views

Replies

• hi, can you put me down for £250 , we did well last month and husband has got the message as he is doing a shopping list with the contents of the cupboards spread around the kitchen ! we have only spent £96 so far as we have been making the most of what we already had and me not allowing him to go to Mr T.
    Grocery Challenge Feb 16 £346 /400
  • moneytree1moneytree1 Forumite
    105 Posts
    Part of the Furniture 100 Posts Combo Breaker
    Hi there just a quick update just bought a few bits and bobs over the past few days total now £93.67 have £38.83 left for next 12 days. I am considering shopping for October early to take advantage of Tesco petrol offer think it ends soon.
    2016 £31138 Debt free ?
    Jan Groc £200/162.56

One step forward closer to debt freedom.;)
  • Hi everyone

Ninno820 and mothershipton - thanks for your totals - will update for Oct

Off to update signature as DH has been shopping Grrrrrrrr

Helen x
    Projects made for craft fair - 40 :)
    1st fair on 13/4/14 :j
  • ChocClare wrote: »
    Lynx is only called Lynx in this country - it's called Axe everywhere else (see here if DH needs proof! http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Axe_%28grooming_product%29).
    You can often get Axe in the pound shops - it's not a copycat, it's the same thing :T

Even if you don't buy online, it's worth checking what's on special offer on eg Mr T's online every week - I've discovered it definitely goes in cycles. I use Olay Total Effects as it's the only moisturiser that really suits me, and it's not cheap - £16-odd most of the time. But every three months or so, it's reduced to half price and that offer usually lasts 3 or 4 weeks. I therefore buy 2 or 3 bottles of each of the day and night cream then, and I usually find that lasts me until the next time it's on special offer. Same with Gillette stuff - their shaving gel was reduced recently to the same price as Tesco's own, so I bought loads then (well, 2 - DH has a beard and DS only shaves every 3-4 days)! You don't have to buy loads in one week - all the offers usually last at least 3 if not 4 weeks - so you can spread the costs of stocking up.

Thanks - I will look out for Axe stuff then!

Tesco - Thanks for the tip about cycles of offers! I've been doing that with Head & Shoulders etc. and normally have enough to last till next time, but I hadn't kept track of how long it was and hadn't noticed it on Gilette stuff.

I normally buy online too, but lately I've had a lot of vouchers that could only be used in-store, so I've been making a spreadsheet list and adding up the prices from the online store before I go so I know how much I'll spend and know what offers to look out for. Definitely helps!
    moneytree1 wrote: »
    Hi there just a quick update just bought a few bits and bobs over the past few days total now £93.67 have £38.83 left for next 12 days. I am considering shopping for October early to take advantage of Tesco petrol offer think it ends soon.

I think the petrol offer ends on the 27th - seem to remember reading that somewhere. Bought my petrol today using my voucher and it still came to £46.99 even with the 5% off! :-( Mind you, the tank was very, very nearly empty - and I'd got 366 miles from it, mostly around town, which I'm really pleased with! Before I read Martin's advice about driving sensibly I was only getting about 330 miles per tankful!

As for the actual grocery shopping... Spent £8.17 in M&S yesterday on seasonal, on-offer fruit for crumbles and smoothies, and treated DH to his weekly bought loaf of their super soft bread (he gets home-made the rest of the week now, which is also yummy, but he does miss his sliced bread).

And today all three of us went down the Co-op to use the £2 off a £20 spend I discovered in the weekly paper (which used to go straight in the bin, but now gets scoured for vouchers - got four useful ones this week!). Added up as we went round the store and managed to make the total just £21.98, so with the £2 off, it came to £19.98!

Also managed to find the whoopsie shelf and got 2 chicken jalfrezi meals for 68p each, some yummy looking mushroomy tortellini for 63p (which is a meal for 2!) and some mini scotch eggs for 48p! All of which were 75% off and have gone into the freezer. I'm very proud of that, because a few weeks ago I wouldn't have dreamed of buying them and sticking them in the freezer!

So, shouldn't need to buy much more than milk and perhaps a few veg for the rest of the month, so I'm feeling a lot more confident about that!
    I'm broke, not poor. Poor sounds permanent, broke can be fixed. (Thoroughly Modern Millie)
    LBM June 2009, Debt Free (except mortgage) Sept 2016 - DONE IT!
  • just going to update my sig - have made an apple and blackberry crumble and am about to make stuffing for tommorow - BIL is down for roast and it's his favourite.

I'm over budget but only by £15 - my new month starts friday and I think I have enough in (maybe just bread/bananas/apples needed before then!
    FebGC
    wk1 £0/£100 NSD's 0/7
    wk2
    wk3
    wk4
    Total £0/400
  • edited 19 September 2009 at 6:31PM
    TheBeesTheBees Forumite
    601 Posts
    edited 19 September 2009 at 6:31PM
    Hi all

CW 18 - sorry for the slow reply... I normally put the slow cooker on warm while I'm chopping and preparing ingredients so it's not stone cold when the ingredients go in. I then put all the ingredients in (don't bother to brown mince or veg), and prefer to cook on low for 6-8 hours or high for 3-5? There is a lot of guesswork and when I started using it I was worried it would never cook on such a low heat! Now I use it a couple times a week.. Put it on at 8.30am until I get in from school at 3.3o. Mine has a keep warm setting so I then put it on that until we want to eat it but it wouldn't hurt to let it continue cooking even longer. HTH

I stuck to my list in MrT today apart from half price chocolate biscuits in a tin which I've put away in the Christmas present cupboard! Now have £63 to last until the 30th which MIGHT be doable.

Made a chilli (in the slow cooker today) using Jamie Oliver's recipe. I added a couple handfuls of oats so will be freezing half for another evening meal.

Still doing well keeping the other spends under control too. Went into town and bought a friend's birthday present and that was it!
    Mortgage Free in 3 part 2 challenge - pay off £9000
    Sealed Pot Challenge 416 - target £500
  • BlairweechBlairweech Forumite
    1.4K Posts
    Part of the Furniture Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭
    No Spend Day today - we went to Dunster Castle free because of our NT membership and Mum bought lunch

Breakfast: Fry up
    Lunch: Cream tea
    Dinner: Steak

I love coming home :cool:
    We must all suffer one of two things: the pain of discipline or the pain of regret and disappointment
  • JulimkJulimk Forumite
    349 Posts
    I’ve decided to do the top-up shop tomorrow, while DD is still at her Dad’s. So I have done my list on mysupermarket & printed it out. And now I’m starting on the list for the big shop for October, as it is payday on Wednesday.

DD’s pack-ups seem to be the biggest problem in terms of keeping the costs down. I know she doesn’t actually dislike sandwiches (whatever she tells me) as she ate the ones her Nan made for a day out without any argument & even nicked some of mine! But there still doesn’t seem much point making them for her pack-up if she is just going to eat the filling & I get back some soggy bread!

She sometimes pesters for those dunker type things, so I was thinking if I get some breadsticks & value cheese spread I can make some of these up. Mr T has the Whitworths kiddy friendly packs of dried fruit on special & some are cheaper than the big packs (eg the dried pineapple) – DD allegedly doesn’t like raisins. Twinks’ hobnobs always get eaten (of course), plus fresh fruit & yoghurt.

Sometimes it feels like she is just being awkward, but I am sure it is more to do with advertising & peer pressure. But I think the message is starting to get through a little – when we were on holiday I gave her some money to buy clothes & she was saying things like, well it’s very nice but there’s no way I’d pay $30 for it! And went to see what was reduced!
  • Hello!

I've spent 7.89 in Marks&Sparks today, which means I have 92.07 to last till the end of the month.

I have a question though:
    why are some people already declaring their September totals and their October budgets? This is the first time I join the challenge so please don't hate me if I'm being thick or missing something. Should I declare my total now? Any clarification much appreciated :o
  • edited 19 September 2009 at 11:56PM
    carolt2carolt2 Forumite
    852 Posts
    Part of the Furniture
    ✭✭✭
    edited 19 September 2009 at 11:56PM
    Botany wrote: »

I have a question though:
    why are some people already declaring their September totals and their October budgets? This is the first time I join the challenge so please don't hate me if I'm being thick or missing something. Should I declare my total now? Any clarification much appreciated :o

Hi there, some people might do their challenges differently, ie payday to payday, some people like me do their challenge per calendar month. Personal choice really.
    As soon as your personal challenge finishes for the current month, you post your total and this gets put on the first page against your target. When you post your new budget for next month, the person incharge of compiling the list, will then add your budget to this ready for posting on the 1st page of that challenge.

Hope this makes sense.

Have managed to catch up with thread and update signature. Plenty of spending been done. Got under £40 to last until end of month.
    'Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle'
This discussion has been closed.
LATEST NEWS AND GUIDES

Balance transfer credit cards

Shift existing card debt to 0% interest for up to 31 months

MSE Guides