HeavyHeart, EmptyPurse

Comments

• HeavyHeart
    HeavyHeart Posts: 32 Forumite
    The story with the house: When Pete was a boy, his parents always owned the houses they lived in. But when Pete was 30, his father wanted to raise some money for something or other, and Pete bought the house. From that point on, Pete always owned the houses they lived in, and his parents lived with Pete.

But his parents believe that because they lived with him, they were entitled to 'own the house' just as much as he did. How that makes any logical sense is beyond me.

His parents are in their late 70s. I definitely hear loud and clear what you said about their clogs popping. I'm not a mean woman, and never wish harm on anyone. However...
  • tomstickland
    tomstickland Posts: 19,538
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    I've just read the OP. A long story. The parent's don't seem to be contributing much or being particularly grateful whilst their son and partner have put themselves into serious debt. I'd advise selling one of the properties to clear the debt. Meanwhile it'd be worth taking some serious legal advice on the "rent free for life" thing.
    As for moving in with Pete's parents, in an ideal world it would make sense, but unfortunately they refuse to have anything to do with us. Since all of this happened, they have changed their phone number and email address, and refuse to speak to Pete or me if we happen to see them in the street. They refuse to accept him as their son. It seems that they're quite happy for a 'stranger' to be paying for them to live for free.
    How completely ungrateful.
    I think you need to look at the options carefully. Whose property is it? Is there anyway you can stop paying for it?
    Happy chappy
  • mummytofour
    mummytofour Posts: 2,636 Forumite
    What would happen if you stopped paying the morgage on the flat P-I-L are in? that would teach them!
    Debt free and plan on staying that way!!!!
  • Ember999
    Ember999 Posts: 1,022
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    Have sent you a PM (private message) hon,

Hugs from across the miles,

Ember xx
    ~What you send out comes back to thee thricefold!~
    ~
  • mom23
    mom23 Posts: 746 Forumite
    His parents are in their late 70s. I definitely hear loud and clear what you said about their clogs popping. I'm not a mean woman, and never wish harm on anyone. However...

Sorry but i bloody would!!!
  • Alleycat
    Alleycat Posts: 4,599
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    sod them, just because they blank you in the street, doesn't mean that you can't move into the property. Okay it would be a tad uncomfortable, but a means to an end? As another poster said, it might make them move out!! Also, I mentioned in a previous post if there was the option of selling 'their' place to pay the debts then you could keep on your place and not have to move. But not sure what the agreement says about that?
    "I've fallen down a hole" - said in best Monty Python voice-over.
  • calleyw
    calleyw Posts: 9,822
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Forumite
    I have to say that yours is indeed a sad tale. And I can't believe that your partners parents have been so blood sucking as that.

Not that you can do anything now but I would never have agreed to sell one place to buy them another. But that is another story.

As the flat is in YOUR names I would tempted to tell your partners parents that you are unable to cope with two mortgages. And you are going to be selling your place and coming to live in YOUR flat. Like it or lump it. Oops did not see that they are blanking there son.

I really don't know what to say really. But hang in there. As easy as it is to say it is only money. Please don't let these problems effect your health. And don't let this split you up.

You are between a rock and a hard place. I know this sounds horrible and it would really muck up your credit rating but if you really felt your only way out was to stop paying the mortgage and have the house re-possesed or hand back the keys to Building society. It will then be there problem to get your partners parents out.

I know that sounds horrible. As they have badly treated their own son. I would do it prove a point as I don't let anyone take the mick out of me.

I really don't know what else to say. But hang in there.

Take care.

Yours

Calley
    Hope for everything and expect nothing!!!

Good enough is almost always good enough -Prof Barry Schwartz

If it scares you, it might be a good thing to try -Seth Godin
  • HeavyHeart
    Its a horrible thing to admit, but I do dream of receiving a call in the middle of the night to say that there's been a death (or two) in the family. I hate myself for saying that, but I cant help it.

I dont know what would happen if we stopped paying the mortgage on that flat. The mortgage is with First Direct, and so are all of our bank accounts (savings and current) and where our salaries are paid into. I guess we would have to have our salaries paid into a different bank before we could consider defaulting on the mortgage.

I do need some more legal advice on the 'rent free for life' thing. Im sure we got bad legal advice last time. There has to be a way out of it.

I just feel like crumbling tonight. Thank you all for being there.
  • HeavyHeart
    I believe the agreement says that they can live, rent free and without interference, for life. Meaning we cant move in or get on their nerves. Or send a mafia hit man around to shoot them in the knee caps :)

Not that I know any mafia hit men.
  • Alleycat
    Alleycat Posts: 4,599
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    What does the agreement say about selling the place?
    "I've fallen down a hole" - said in best Monty Python voice-over.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure