Gareth83 Posts: 971 Forumite
edited 24 July 2009 at 12:27AM in Broadband & internet access
I'm in the market for BB in my new house, we do not currently have a landline

Tiscali seem best at £14.99 per month for BB and line rental:
http://www.tiscali.co.uk/products/talk/?code=ZZ-NL-11GK&srccode=

£30 connection fee

£60 quidco cashback

= £12.49 over the 12mth contract

However, must I add a BT line on top of this? Or is this included? But must I order BT first and is there a 12mth contract with BT?

Comments

• stevenhp1987
    Options
    You have to order a BT line first, then move away from BT which iirc is a charge of about £8 for every month left of your minimum 12 month contract so £96 to connect and leave BT.

I had to pay £70 two years ago (to break-away from BT contract) to do this... wasn't really worth it imo.
  • Snakeeyes21
    Snakeeyes21 Posts: 2,527 Forumite
    edited 24 July 2009 at 12:52AM
    Options
    Tiscali can install a line for £100, and yes it includes line rental, but you wont be able to go via quidco you need to phone them and order for a line install.
    you could get the post office to install a line which is cheaper than bt, they have a 1 month contract, then cancel with the post office and go via quidco to get the tiscali deal
  • my_definition
    Options
    i have just had baisically the same problem and ended up going with bt for my calls and o2 for broadband.

if your just looking for a landline and not calls it will cost £12.50 a month line rental to bt (not sure why its higher but it seems to be if you take the free landline offer though works out the same if you take weekend and evening calls)

unlimited o2 broadband up to 8meg costs £7.50 a month but only if you are a o2 customer. i wasnt so im changing my mobile to o2 and getting £100 cashback for the sim only contract and another £50 for the broadband.

While this may seem complicated it means you will not have to pay bt to break the contract and will save you paying the connection fees

hope this helps
  • ACDeag
    ACDeag Posts: 742 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Gareth83 wrote: »
    I'm in the market for BB in my new house, we do not currently have a landline

Tiscali seem best at £14.99 per month for BB and line rental:
    http://www.tiscali.co.uk/products/talk/?code=ZZ-NL-11GK&srccode=

£30 connection fee

£60 quidco cashback

= £12.49 over the 12mth contract

However, must I add a BT line on top of this? Or is this included? But must I order BT first and is there a 12mth contract with BT?

Warning over Quidco and Tiscali. I failed in my Quidco transaction as after ordering they said there was a problem with my order and I needed to call them, because they then deemed that my order was not wholly completed online they wriggled out of my Quidco claim.
  • Inactive
    Inactive Posts: 14,509 Forumite
    Options
    Tiscali seem best

They are " best ".

Best at providing a crap service.

Best at messing up customers bills.

etc. etc.
  • Gareth83
    Options
    there is a BT line already at the house, can we just reactivate it?
    do bt really have a 12mth contract? No sign on their website for the £14.99 deal?
  • macman
    macman Posts: 53,098 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    do bt really have a 12mth contract? No sign on their website for the £14.99 deal?

Depends if it is disconnected or not. Do you have a dial tone on it?
    BT line rental is £11.25 a month which includes weekend and evening calls. Anytime calls add £4.95. 12 month contract.
    O2 is a good deal at £7.34 but it only applies if O2 is available LLU on your exchange.
    No free lunch, and no free laptop ;)
  • Ypaymore
    Ypaymore Posts: 2,802 Forumite
    Options

Tiscali seem best

:rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:

Their now part of the Talk Talk empire.
  • Ypaymore
    Ypaymore Posts: 2,802 Forumite
    edited 24 July 2009 at 7:54PM
    Options
    do bt really have a 12mth contract? No sign on their website for the £14.99
    deal?

"If your home has had a telephone service from BT in the recent past, and the wiring and socket is undamaged and the line still has dialling tone, it's likely you won't need to pay this charge. But where there's no suitable BT line available in your property, no dialling tone on the line, or if you have been disconnected for non-payment in the past, the standard connection charge will apply."

https://www.productsandservices.bt.com/btbusinessOrders/control/termsandconditions?docId=25017&pageTitle=%20New%20line%20connection%20charge

Yes BT do have a minimum term of 12 months. This came about because the likes of Tiscali and Talk Talk were cherry picking their customers.
  • Gareth83
    edited 25 July 2009 at 1:25PM
    Options
    I cannot see anywhere on this link that suggests the basic £11.25pm from BT has a 12mth contract:
    http://www.productsandservices.bt.com/consumerProducts/displayTopic.do?topicId=25497&s_intcid=con_intban_overview_calls_newline

That is the Unlimited Weekend Plan, only the other two indicate a 12mth contract

Also why isn't my £12.49pm deal on the main site? Surely that is the best deal around?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure