Am i entitled to compensation from Tesco ?

Options

Comments

• CG19a
    CG19a Posts: 765 Forumite
    Options
    I WAS TOLD BY TESCO TO RETURN IT TO THE STORE AND MY ONLY MEANS OF TRANSPORT IS TAXIS AS I AM UNABLE TO BOARD BUSES ETC DUE TO CHRONIC HELTH PROBLEMS!

I'm just wondering...if you had chronic health problems then you would be entitled to a free bus pass, similar to OAPs, in Scotland allowing you free bus travel, so your bus fare wouldn't have been more expensive than a taxi.
  • Bob_the_Saver
    Bob_the_Saver Posts: 5,610 Forumite
    Options
    Half of Asia would be happy to find it on their plate, please forward it to them.
  • Greatgimp
    Greatgimp Posts: 1,052 Forumite
    Academoney Grad First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    If Tesco told me they want it back IMMEDIATELY, I'd tell them my address and say that I'm waiting for one of their employees to come and pick the thing up. Tesco's problem = Tesco's time and Tesco's petrol.
  • Takoda
    Takoda Posts: 1,846 Forumite
    Options
    So has anyone reported these offensive comments to a mod?

The posters concerned deserve at least a stroppy pm from MSE Andrea :D
  • Takoda
    Takoda Posts: 1,846 Forumite
    Options
    Just to add. I think Tesco's Finest range has gone a bit downhill lately. I don't really like them - much prefer M&S but occasionally we end up having Finest if there's no other choice - . We tend to stick to the same ones and I've noticed that lately they are not quite as good. Wonder if they've changed the manufacturer and are trying to cut costs?
  • ABH_3
    ABH_3 Posts: 1,211 Forumite
    Options
    To the OP, you'll have to forgive these forums occasionally it becomes like a gang of feral kids at the end of a Council estate, the ones that would swear, throw stones make endless noise then blame it on you for disturbing them. The level of maturity demonstrated is seriously lacking. Obviously it was 'common decencies day off today'.

The reason the guy at Tesco would have wanted the foreign body back as soon as possible is because it potentially will impact their product line. If it had been black glass say, then they would have had to have pulled the whole line off the shelves as they wouldn't have been sure which of the items had been affected. Fact is, it could have lead to a whole product recall.

As it is, it's obviously an organic contaminant and therefore chances are it didn't cause much of a stir if it were eaten. Infact people eat beatles, ants, spiders in pre-packed food all the time. I worked in such a place as a student, you would be surprised what would fall into such containers flies, moths whatever the staff flicked to each other. If you knew, you wouldn't eat them.

What you need to do is write back to Tesco's and mention the fact that you brought the contamination to their attention as obviously you thought it maybe a case of public safety. You could add that the person you spoke to at wherever (day\date\time of who you spoke too and where they said they were when you called) as he insisted you bring the contaminant in so urgently.

Explain that you have limited mobility\disability and as such due to not having a vehicle of your own you had to hire a private Taxi. This isn't something 'unusual' like everyone would have you believe, but explain that you wouldn't usually have taken such, but for the urgency of the situation you found yourself in. Explain it cost you £10 and that as you're sure they would appreciate you would like restitution to the tune of the taxi fare. Tell them you appreciate them replacing the food item, but in a bid to keep their good name, you're still out of pocket to whatever amount.

In short as you've not suffered any serious detriment ie: broken teeth, bones, hospitalisation you're not actually due serious compensation however you are due to be put back into the position you occupied before you made the call to Tesco about the contaminant you found in their food, for your taxi fare, plus reimbursement for the meal you lost due to the contaminant etc. You did the right thing called and incurred unnecessary expense because of it. You shouldn't be out of pocket because of the situation.

So set out a simple letter, use the word 'contaminant' as it will centre their minds that it was something that was in the food that shouldn't have been and they'll delve into the petty cash and reimburse you I'm sure.

HTH
    It could have been worse. At least source code's not combustible, or you can bet somebody at McAfee would have lit it.
  • Greatgimp
    Greatgimp Posts: 1,052 Forumite
    Academoney Grad First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    ABH wrote: »
    ... and they'll delve into the petty cash and reimburse you I'm sure.

HTH
    Yeah, right!
  • OnceUponADream
    OnceUponADream Posts: 16,047 Forumite
    Options
    Why are some posters so intent on being hostile *aka ignorant/down right rude* to posters????? .

If a new or old poster has a problem/dilemma they wish to share on this thread/vent/praise or quite a few other threads - why do posters feel they have to jump on them and abuse them?

I have read through many threads and only 1 out of 20 of the replies are helpful to the OP. Is there a reason for this?

Why do you feel you need to reply to a post with a negative comment - answers please on a forum board:D
    The shinbone is a device for finding furniture in a dark room.
    :TBig thanks to all competition posters:T
  • hpa423
    hpa423 Posts: 45 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I totally agree with abh and once upon a dream. I have been a member of this site for a fair while, and I often find brilliant advice and info on these boards. But more often than not to get there I have to wade through the out of order, rude and downright offensive posts. These forums are here to help people, not pass judgement on them. I for one love a bit of banter, so often on here it goes way past banter to sheer rudeness. I very rarely post and that is only because you never know what type of person is going to respond to your post. All too many times people get a battering for asking innocent questions. I've never known a forum quite like it, the offensive few seem to spread like a rash round here.
    OP good luck with your quest for reimbursement of your expenses.
    this comment is currently under construction :D
  • melorablack
    melorablack Posts: 1,114 Forumite
    Options
    Just like most internet forums that start off looking very helpful and promising...... this site now attracts insulting morons who come on just to cause trouble. What a pity.... are there no moderators ? If so, suggest they get deleting and banning before this site is no more.

If you look at the banner above the posts you will see some big red letters saying "IMPORTANT! This forum isn't moderated. If you spot a spam, illegal, offensive, racist, libellous post or PM please email abuse@moneysavingexpert.com"

I don't consider any of the posts on this thread to be spam, illegal, offensive, racist or libellous, it is just people voicing their opinions and questions.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure