MSE news: possible £50 boon for Nationwide current account holders

Comments

• amdowney
    amdowney Posts: 40 Forumite
    Does this offer have an expiry date?

(Just read this: 'This offer is available from 15 July 2009 to 21 August 2009')
    Hi, we’ve had to remove your signature. If you’re not sure why please read the forum rules or email the forum team if you’re still unsure - MSE ForumTeam
  • LongTermLurker
    LongTermLurker Posts: 1,996
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    That would be it then
    You've never seen me, but I've been here all along - watching and learning...:cool:
  • Went to apply for this incentive this morning but there was a new message this morning when I logged in and now has overwrote the incentive message I saw on my account yesterday.

Anyway, now when I try go and transfer an existing account to my flex account there is no mention of this £50 bonus.

Can't see it from the home page either, has it been pulled?

Is there a link to go through, or just continue and transfer anyway?
  • noh
    noh Posts: 5,792
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    JesseJames wrote: »
    Went to apply for this incentive this morning but there was a new message this morning when I logged in and now has overwrote the incentive message I saw on my account yesterday.

Anyway, now when I try go and transfer an existing account to my flex account there is no mention of this £50 bonus.

Can't see it from the home page either, has it been pulled?

Is there a link to go through, or just continue and transfer anyway?

Its been pulled as from 12 noon 31st July.

See:- http://www.nationwide.co.uk/popup/recentpromotions.htm
  • Damn it!
    I'll just wait for the next promotion then.
  • LongTermLurker
    LongTermLurker Posts: 1,996
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    noh wrote: »
    Its been pulled as from 12 noon 31st July.

See:- http://www.nationwide.co.uk/popup/recentpromotions.htm
    Got in just in time. At least I set the ball rolling in time - they haven't actually done the transfer yet, but have confirmed they will do so within 14 days, so I guess that will qualify me.
    You've never seen me, but I've been here all along - watching and learning...:cool:
  • emweaver
    emweaver Posts: 8,419 Forumite
    So glad I applied on friday, I was going to wait till next week!
    Wins so far this year: Mum to be bath set, follow me Domino Dog, Vital baby feeding set, Spiderman goody bag, free pack of Kiplings cakes, £15 love to shop voucher, HTC Desire, Olive oil cooking spray, Original Source Strawberry Shower Gel, Garnier skin care hamper, Marc Jacobs fragrance.
  • 7sefton
    7sefton Posts: 606
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    I've been fuming about this for some time, and now want to get this off my chest:

It is incredibly annoying (and possibly even ethically dubious) the way people on MSE behave with such offers as this one. Nationwide obviously intended this to benefit/reward genuine, honest customers who choose to make their Flex Account their main current account. They obviously expected a steady flow of people who would take them up on this offer, hence the fairly long time limit on this offer (before it was pulled).

Instead, vultures and cynics on this website pounce to transfer 'dummy' direct debits and standing orders as soon as they see such an offer (obviously not having much better to do with their time than sit out waiting for such promotions). They gladly line their pockets with multiple pay outs from a mutual organisation - run for the benefit of all members, not just the few financially savvy ones - thus swamping Nationwide with bogus transfers so they have to pull the offer. Meanwhile, genuine customers who would have gladly transferred all their business to Nationwide are left out in the cold.

This is not going to be a popular point of view, I accept, but you need to be aware how you are milking Nationwide and similar institutions who for once are actually offering their honest customers a decent reward for loyalty. Outrageous, unfair, and selfish.
  • YorkshireBoy
    YorkshireBoy Posts: 31,541
    Forumite
    7sefton wrote: »
    ...<snip>...
    Being as this is the third offer they've run in recent times it would appear they are happy to take the rough with the smooth?

If they were concerned at all, they'd introduce a single sentence condition similar to that used by First Direct, namely...

"The £50/£75/£100* switching offer is only available for people who haven't previously received a switching incentive to join Nationwide."

Indeed, you'd think they would do, bearing in mind they say this of their credit cards...

"You can apply to change your Nationwide credit card at any time but any introductory rate or offer is not available if you have previously held a Nationwide credit card with an introductory rate or offer."

* Delete as appropriate.
  • apt
    apt Posts: 3,188
    Forumite
    7Sefton, surely your anger would be better directed towards the Nationwide itself. A mutual should not be making this type of offer, but improving the basic product. The Flexaccount used to offer better than average interest rates and low interest rates on approved overdrafts. This is no longer the case, and Nationwide is hopelessly behind on introducing faster payments. If Nationwide had a better product it would not need to bribe people into using it for more than holiday spending.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.3K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 606.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.7K Life & Family
  • 247.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure