MSE news: possible £50 boon for Nationwide current account holders

Replies

• JOBENJOBEN Forumite
    84 Posts
    Part of the Furniture Combo Breaker
    Just reading posts thinking another offer i cant benefit from as already Nationwide Customer when remembered our CSA payment still comes out RBOS account.

Hopefully should work
    Will let you know

:j
  • ray123ray123 Forumite
    659 Posts
    When using your card abroad, nationwide give you the VISA official exchange rate, which is usually 2 cents better than the best exchange rate offered by any UK bureau de change.

This is the only reason I kept my nationwide account. Now the plan is:
    a) Transfer my main account to nationwide,
    b) Take the money.
    c) Transfer my main account away from nationwide, leaving the flex account dormant.

I consider myself a MSE mercenary, always looking to take advantage of the banks generosity...
  • LongTermLurkerLongTermLurker Forumite
    2K Posts
    ✭✭✭
    ray123 wrote: »
    I consider myself a MSE mercenary, always looking to take advantage of the banks generosity...
    Let's face it, we're all tarts at heart ;)
    You've never seen me, but I've been here all along - watching and learning...:cool:
  • happilasshappilass Forumite
    157 Posts
    Hi,
    my son has a Nationwide flex account, which he opened for holiday withdrawals only. He also has a current account with Nat west which is his day to day account. He is currently a student and wants to change his current account to Nationwide to take advantage of the £50 offer. He couldn't use the online forms to do this because he has no income from a job to transfer. He does, hoever have a weekly allowance from us and a student grant. Can anyone advise us what to do to change the account. We rang the Nationwide and they sent out some forms to complete but I understand that if he does not complete the online forms he will not qualify for the£50.
    thanks'
    Happi
  • LongTermLurkerLongTermLurker Forumite
    2K Posts
    ✭✭✭
    happilass wrote: »
    Hi,
    my son has a Nationwide flex account, which he opened for holiday withdrawals only. He also has a current account with Nat west which is his day to day account. He is currently a student and wants to change his current account to Nationwide to take advantage of the £50 offer. He couldn't use the online forms to do this because he has no income from a job to transfer. He does, hoever have a weekly allowance from us and a student grant. Can anyone advise us what to do to change the account. We rang the Nationwide and they sent out some forms to complete but I understand that if he does not complete the online forms he will not qualify for the£50.
    thanks'
    Happi
    He doesn't have to transfer an income, just all the standing orders and/or direct debits which he has at NatWest. If he doesn't currently have any automatic payments, the easiest thing would be for him to set up a small standing order on the NatWest account to pay, say £5/month (or less) to another account - perhaps yours? Once it's been through the transfer process he can cancel the SO.

He MUST apply online and MUST transfer all standing orders and direct debits - see my post #26 above for the wording.
    You've never seen me, but I've been here all along - watching and learning...:cool:
  • 50Twuncle50Twuncle Forumite
    10.8K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I emailed Nationwide and was told that this DIDN'T apply to existing account holders !!
  • edited 25 July 2009 at 12:29PM
    YorkshireBoyYorkshireBoy Forumite
    31.5K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited 25 July 2009 at 12:29PM
    21Twinkle wrote: »
    I emailed Nationwide and was told that this DIDN'T apply to existing account holders !!
    I'm puzzled as to why you felt the need to e-mail them a question that is already answered in the offer T&Cs (specifically, conditions 4,5, & 6)?

Also, when "qualifying" existing customers log in to their FlexAccounts they're presented with the offer and invited to apply.

However, you now have two choices:

1. Take them at their word and lose out on a very easy £50, or

2. Read the offer T&C's, log in to your account, and make a very easy £50.

What will you do?
  • jago25_98jago25_98 Forumite
    623 Posts
    hmm.... thanks for the info but I've decided not to switch even though I'm already a customer and all it would take is a form.

I just don't trust them to do the switch properly, and I'd want to switch back because I prefer to keep my wages paid into my Coop account because I like thier attitude more.

Decided not to risk it for the sake of £50. The credit rating is worth more than the £50.
    Order of events: Banks lose our money -> get bailed out -> were inflating GBP to cover it -> now taxing us -> next will grab your funds direct -> things get really desperate to balance the books. What should have happened?: banks go bust and we lost our money much quicker
  • jenniewbjenniewb Forumite
    12.8K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Combo Breaker I've been Money Tipped!
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Am very annoyed with this bank:

I have had a flexi account with them for a year. I was told a year ago, I was not allowed a debit card and just have a cash card as I was a new customer and they needed to prove I was a UK citizen and not from abroad. (was born here and never ever been aborad anyway so left it at that!)
    Needless to say this was a hassel for me- why bother to have a bank account if you have to find a hole- in-the wall to get hold of your cash? I went to a different bank and was issued with a debit card.

Then I decided to switched back to Nationwide. I asked about a debit card, they said no again. I asked why, they told me it was because I had not used the account for over a year. They then said I would not be able to apply for another 6-8 months!

Even more frustrating is the fact you cannot withdraw anything below £30 from a Nationwide counter, you can withdraw £10 and more from a hole in the wall, but what if you only need/want £4 out? you have to go to a post office and join an even LONGER queue there!

I think this bank have to be the worst bank I know of, and I am actively awaiting a different bank to present such an offer to join their current account so I can switch to a new bank with faith.

IMO, Nationwide are rubbish!
  • YorkshireBoyYorkshireBoy Forumite
    31.5K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    jenniewb wrote: »
    I think this bank have to be the worst bank I know of, and I am actively awaiting a different bank to present such an offer to join their current account so I can switch to a new bank with faith.
    Strange statement! They're the worst bank you know...but you won't move unless you're paid to do so?

Why didn't you go for the A&L Premier account earlier this year (£150 through Quidco)? Or the FD 1st account (£100)? Or...
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides