Charities board update
Please note, our Forum rules no longer allow the posting of links to personal fundraising or crowdfunding pages, such as JustGiving. You can read the full set of our Forum rules here.

Do Something Amazing- Give Blood

Options

Comments

• pinkclouds
    pinkclouds Posts: 1,069 Forumite
    Options
    Could anyone please tell me if potential donors are weighed before being accepted (to give blood) or do they just take your word for it?

(I am within the "healthy" BMI range, if you're curious - I'm just short!)
  • Rikki
    Rikki Posts: 21,625 Forumite
    Options
    pinkclouds wrote: »
    Could anyone please tell me if potential donors are weighed before being accepted (to give blood) or do they just take your word for it?

(I am within the "healthy" BMI range, if you're curious - I'm just short!)

If they feel you look below the minimum weight they could weigh you.

Giving blood is dependent on many factors, you could call them and ask before going along. 0300 123 23 23
    £2 Coins Savings Club 2012 is £4 :).............................NCFC member No: 00005.........

......................................................................TCNC member No: 00008
    NPFM 21
  • hebe
    hebe Posts: 59 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I'm O neg and have registered, but am having a really hard time finding a suitable clinic to give at. My two year old is in childcare two mornings a week, and "short-stay" childcare is available to me on other mornings, so I was hoping to go one morning. Although there are loads of clinics around here they all only do afternoon or evening appointments which I can't do unless I book a babysitter as my dh works long hours. The nearest place that does morning appointments is 20 miles away and I don't really want to be that far away from home (and nursery) the first time I donate, as all I'd need would be traffic delays and I wouldn't be back in time to collect my daughter.

I tried to be clever and book into a session near my parents, for when we're next visiting, but they're already full even though it's 6 weeks ahead. The helpline did suggest that I phone and ask for a cancellation. I feel a bit guilty grumbling about it as I know what an amazing thing it is to do, but I'm really surprised at how difficult I'm finding it to get an appointment at a suitable time. I can't be the only person who'd use morning appointments, surely?

June to Dec 10 OP - £217/£750
  • surreysaver
    surreysaver Posts: 4,109 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    hebe wrote: »
    I tried to be clever and book into a session near my parents, for when we're next visiting, but they're already full even though it's 6 weeks ahead. The helpline did suggest that I phone and ask for a cancellation. I feel a bit guilty grumbling about it as I know what an amazing thing it is to do, but I'm really surprised at how difficult I'm finding it to get an appointment at a suitable time. I can't be the only person who'd use morning appointments, surely?

That's half the trouble - they complain they're always short of blood and only 4% of the population donate, but they don't actually make it that easy to donate! Perhaps if you could book it like going to the dentist at local hospitals or something, they might get a better response.
    I consider myself to be a male feminist. Is that allowed?
  • hebe
    hebe Posts: 59 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I had some more paperwork through. Of 60 days of "local" sessions, only 8 sessions are morning ones and the closest one is 17miles away, which would cost me half a gallon of fuel to get there and back. I've emailed them asking if there are any plans to increase the number of morning sessions.

June to Dec 10 OP - £217/£750
  • Pharmer
    Pharmer Posts: 80 Forumite
    Options
    One thing that often bothers me is that I give every 3 months but would like to give every month through platelet donation. I got tested and although I had a fantastic platelet score I lost out due to my weight or height (probably just weight). On asking how much I would have had to weigh to give I was not provided with an answer. Looks like I won't every know. Maybe I'll go once I gain a stone and see if that helps...
    Wins:
    July 2013: 1.Men's bespoke bracelet 2. Signed Primal Scream album
  • Rikki
    Options
    hebe wrote: »
    I had some more paperwork through. Of 60 days of "local" sessions, only 8 sessions are morning ones and the closest one is 17miles away, which would cost me half a gallon of fuel to get there and back. I've emailed them asking if there are any plans to increase the number of morning sessions.

I always took my children with me. I had no choice.
    £2 Coins Savings Club 2012 is £4 :).............................NCFC member No: 00005.........

......................................................................TCNC member No: 00008
    NPFM 21
  • Rikki
    Options
    Pharmer wrote: »
    One thing that often bothers me is that I give every 3 months but would like to give every month through platelet donation. I got tested and although I had a fantastic platelet score I lost out due to my weight or height (probably just weight). On asking how much I would have had to weigh to give I was not provided with an answer. Looks like I won't every know. Maybe I'll go once I gain a stone and see if that helps...

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showpost.php?p=32000473&postcount=803

NPFM 21
  • narabanekeater
    Options
    I am unable to donate myself but may I please say a big thank you to those who do?
    I have 2 beautiful children who wouldnt be here without you - to this I am eternily greatful
    Mad Mum to 3 wonderful children, 2 foster kittens and 2 big fat cats that never made it to a new home!
    Aiming to loose 56 pounds this year. Total to date 44.5 pounds 12.5 to go. Slimming World Rocks!
  • Rikki
    Options
    I'm off to give a pint of the much needed red stuff. I hope many of you are still giving too. :)

NPFM 21
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport