Charities board update
Please note, our Forum rules no longer allow the posting of links to personal fundraising or crowdfunding pages, such as JustGiving. You can read the full set of our Forum rules here.

Do Something Amazing- Give Blood

Options

Comments

• Ratgirl_2
    Options
    Just wanted to let people know that the NBS are experiencing a dip in supplies of O- and have requested that eligible donors make an appointment to donate this week. I've not been able to donate for a while due to medical reasons but I'll be dragging my O- !!!! down to the clinic this week :-)
  • G_M
    G_M Posts: 51,977 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    I just want to thank all you people. I've been kept alive the last 5 years in part because of you.
  • SohoAnthem
    Options
    Hey,

I'm going to donate blood for the first time nearer the end of January. It's one of my new year resolutions. Also, I want to register to donate bone marrow / platelets. Looking on the website, it says to mention it when giving blood?

Do I just tell whoever is taking my blood that I'd like to go on the bone marrow registry? And also donate platelets?

:beer:
    I'm still driving away and I'm sorry everyday,
    I won't always love these selfish things.
  • Rikki
    Rikki Posts: 21,625 Forumite
    Options
    SohoAnthem wrote: »
    Hey,

I'm going to donate blood for the first time nearer the end of January. It's one of my new year resolutions. Also, I want to register to donate bone marrow / platelets. Looking on the website, it says to mention it when giving blood?

Do I just tell whoever is taking my blood that I'd like to go on the bone marrow registry? And also donate platelets?

:beer:

I don't know about the bone marrow register but certainly ask when you go.
    The platelets they can explain to all this to you and where the nearest donation place is. It is a longer process donating platelets, torbrex donates platelets certainly he would be able to enlighten you more.
    £2 Coins Savings Club 2012 is £4 :).............................NCFC member No: 00005.........

......................................................................TCNC member No: 00008
    NPFM 21
  • Charlie23
    Options
    Hi i gave blood for the first time today. Was really worried about having it done but it was really good. Hoping to do it as regulary as possible :-) thanks to everyones positive stories :-)
  • Rikki
    Options
    Charlie23 wrote: »
    Hi i gave blood for the first time today. Was really worried about having it done but it was really good. Hoping to do it as regulary as possible :-) thanks to everyones positive stories :-)

Congratulations. :T

It's worth it for the lie down and then the biscuits. :D
    £2 Coins Savings Club 2012 is £4 :).............................NCFC member No: 00005.........

......................................................................TCNC member No: 00008
    NPFM 21
  • wearside_2
    wearside_2 Posts: 1,508 Forumite
    Cashback Cashier
    Options
    kacie wrote: »
    I gave blood again last week, and hate the plasters they put on afterwards, the big white ones, they always hurt to pull off later.

I am a regular blood donor :Tand this always hurt me to pull off later. In fact being a male it really gave me excruciating pain as usually several hairs were also pulled off. I told them today that I am allergic to the plasters and so I was given a couple of pieces of lint held on with a white bandage. No more pain and a bit (well a very minuscule), more sympathy from my OH:D

One thing I was given today which I thought was a wind up was a chart advising me to clench my buttocks during and just after giving blood:eek: I queried this with a nurse and she said that it originated in America (where else) and helps to keep the blood pressure raised. It was quite funny watching a couple of other men doing the same as I was....clenching my buttocks:rotfl:

Strange story but true:D
    To Dare is To Do:beer:
  • wearside_2
    Cashback Cashier
    Options
    Charlie23 wrote: »

Were you asked to clench your buttocks as I was in Lincoln:eek:
  • wearside_2
    Cashback Cashier
    Options
    Rikki wrote: »
    Congratulations. :T

It's worth it for the lie down and then the biscuits. :D

I usually manage to eat a packet of bourbon biscuits with my tea and snaffle an extra packet as I leave:eek: Could this be classed as theft?
  • Rikki
    Options
    wearside wrote: »
    I usually manage to eat a packet of bourbon biscuits with my tea and snaffle an extra packet as I leave:eek: Could this be classed as theft?

Of course not. :D

It's the only place I get to eat chocolate biscuits. :A

NPFM 21
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport