PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Kefir making as alternative to yoghurt making.

Options

Comments

• elantan
    elantan Posts: 21,018 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    ok i have the grains and have put them in a plastic tub filled with milk and left them it does turn the milk thicker but it just looks like turned milk to me is it safe to drink? and i cant stand the taste of milk so can i add some flavouring?
  • larmy16
    larmy16 Posts: 4,324 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    It does have a very tart taste and should be the consistency of a thinnish yoghurt. Add anything you like to it. I never could take it neat - just made into smoothies. I know one lady who tried to grow her grains in apple juice to make them sweet and they died!
    Grocery Challenge £139/240 until 31/01
    Taking part in Sealed Pot No.819/2011
    Only essentials on Ebay/Amazon

• elantan
    elantan Posts: 21,018 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    i need to pluck up the courage to try it i just look at it and go yuckkkkkkk
  • Jualsy
    Options
    I bought some kefir milk in a jar yesterday in a supermarket here in Spain. Never seen it before. I had done some research on it recently, so decided to give it a try.
    I left it out of the fridge and now it has kefir grains in it and it looks all curdly!! I am going to try it soon and make some more, as research shows that the health advantages are amazing....cleaning the system out etc.
    I am quite excited about it..........hope it works, then I can pass it on.
  • Jualsy
    Options
    Just an update....it is great and keeps reproducing. It tastes a bit bitter, but you can add honey or sugar or fuit juice ofr fuit pulp to it. I really like it!
  • malamala
    malamala Posts: 491 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I have been making Kefir for a week. Would love to make it into a refreshing kefir drink, like the one I tried in Poland, but when I add:
    a) Tropicana orange juice
    b) Cordial

It just gone curdle.

I suppose that is natural (?) as I was adding acidic liquid in mike (kefir), but it does not seem right to drink curdled milk.

Any advice? Thanks!
  • Angelina-M
    Angelina-M Posts: 1,541 Forumite
    Options
    malamala wrote: »
    I have been making Kefir for a week. Would love to make it into a refreshing kefir drink, like the one I tried in Poland, but when I add:
    a) Tropicana orange juice
    b) Cordial

It just gone curdle.

I suppose that is natural (?) as I was adding acidic liquid in mike (kefir), but it does not seem right to drink curdled milk.

Any advice? Thanks!

I think you are using milk kefir when you should be using water kefir. They are two different things. You can 'cleanse' the milk kefir in water to make a kind of water kefir but its not going to be as good.

Angelina aka Leonie :-)
  • malamala
    malamala Posts: 491 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Thanks for reply.

The kefir I had in Poland is like a yoghurt base fruity drink, so I thought it could be made by adding fruit juice to milk kefir. Perhaps I need to add fresh/frozen fruit and banana to kefir just like other forum members do.

Does the kefir go curdle when you mix it with fruits?
  • Ephemera
    Ephemera Posts: 1,604 Forumite
    Options
    If no-one's posted it before, and you want to get some grains for the price of postage, check out this site: http://www.torontoadvisors.com/Kefir/kefir-list.php

Scroll down to your country and contact the person closest to you! Simple.

Have contacted a UK based person today and am waiting for a reply - will let you know if I get a successful outcome :0)
    If you do what you've always done, you'll get what you've always got.

• Angelina-M
    Angelina-M Posts: 1,541 Forumite
    Options
    malamala wrote: »
    Thanks for reply.

The kefir I had in Poland is like a yoghurt base fruity drink, so I thought it could be made by adding fruit juice to milk kefir. Perhaps I need to add fresh/frozen fruit and banana to kefir just like other forum members do.

Does the kefir go curdle when you mix it with fruits?

Well if I was to add, say banana, berries or even fruit syrups to kefir, then it would be fine, but its a no no to add orange or apple juice. They will make it curdle, just as they would if you added them to normal milk.

When you say fruit juice, it does make me think of juices that would be no good to add to kefir. If you dont like the taste, you may consider a bit of honey? For a quick fix I sometimes let the kids have it with a bit of milk shake mix in.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure