PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Kefir making as alternative to yoghurt making.

Options

Comments

• Jazzy_B
    Jazzy_B Posts: 1,810 Forumite
    Options
    I quite often make a pint or two at a time, then freeze the kefir until I've used it up.Then I get the kefir out the freezer for another batch. So far I've not had any problems. It still reproduces, and it suits me better. My friends are doing this as well. Don't know if it will work long term, but the grains are pretty robust so far.
  • kittycat07
    kittycat07 Posts: 81 Forumite
    Options
    I'm really interested and have put down my name for the yahoo site in the hope that I'll be able to get some grains (checked our local freecycle but no-one's offering). If not I'll resort to e-bay - unless anyone knows if health food shops sell these (we're based in Surrey)?

Has anyone made cheese with them? What sort of cheese can you make and how easy is it? This sounds like good fun and healthy so looking forward to trying it
  • Aria30_2
    Aria30_2 Posts: 36 Forumite
    Options
    Evening all,

I've been making kefir for just over a week now, and its going really well. My 6 year old loves it with bananas. Just a quick question though, does anyone know if you can drink too much of this? :confused: I think my son would drink it whenever he could if I let him, but how much should a 6 year old have?

Many thanks

Aria30
  • malamala
    Options
    I noticed that in our local delicatessen they now sell Kefir Milk in bottles, like this one:

http://www.robico.com.pl/index.php?act=static&var=kefir

I have never tried Kefir before but am very interested in it. Am going to Poland for holiday soon, so I am really tempted to buy a bottle of Kefir Milk to try while I am out there.

The question is: Do you think one can just drink on its own or do you think we need to mix it with some fruits or sugar etc. (as you can see I have no idea at all)

Thanks!
  • ceridwen
    ceridwen Posts: 11,547 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    malamala wrote: »
    I noticed that in our local delicatessen they now sell Kefir Milk in bottles, like this one:

http://www.robico.com.pl/index.php?act=static&var=kefir

I have never tried Kefir before but am very interested in it. Am going to Poland for holiday soon, so I am really tempted to buy a bottle of Kefir Milk to try while I am out there.

The question is: Do you think one can just drink on its own or do you think we need to mix it with some fruits or sugar etc. (as you can see I have no idea at all)

Thanks!

Use in exactly the same way you would use plain yogurt - ie on its own or with fruit juice. If its thick enough, then use instead of cream with puddings. Use it in muesli instead of milk. Drizzle it over porridge.
  • malamala
    Options
    ceridwen wrote: »
    Use in exactly the same way you would use plain yogurt - ie on its own or with fruit juice. If its thick enough, then use instead of cream with puddings. Use it in muesli instead of milk. Drizzle it over porridge.

Thanks a lot! I will definitely try some in Poland :beer:
  • kittykat500
    Options
    I'm still going strong with my kefir making after 3-4 months. Am now making my own goats cheese from it, as goats milk is readily available in supermarkets. I've am now able to drink kefir plain and not in a smoothie. Guess it just takes time for the palate to adjust to the taste.
  • elantan
    elantan Posts: 21,018 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    does anyone here know about it i have a few questions to ask but not sure if this is the right place
  • LandyAndy
    LandyAndy Posts: 26,377 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kefir
  • Penelope_Penguin
    Options
    Try this thread - over 120 posts: Kefir making as alternative to yogurt.

HTH, Penny. x
    :rudolf: Sheep, pigs, hens and bees on our Teesdale smallholding :rudolf:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family