PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Kefir making as alternative to yoghurt making.

Options
1444546474850»

Comments

• Primrose
    Primrose Posts: 10,621 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    I'm not using grains. Couldn't get hold of any. Am using freeze dried frozen cultures in a commercial pack bought from a health shop as it was the only starter pack I could find and I read that you couldn't reproduce Kefir from supermarket commercially bought product.
  • shykins
    shykins Posts: 2,758 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    aah ok sorry. seems the freeze dried dont last for very long so maybe they are worn out already.

maybe best to try and get hold of some proper grains as they will last forever. you can get them on ebay for £3 or so for a few grains, they will soon multiply
    When you know better you do better

Atkins since 2004 - 8 stone loss maintaining
  • iammumtoone
    iammumtoone Posts: 6,377 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    I want to like kefir as its good for you but I have tired the shop versions and its horrible :(

If I made my own does it taste different to the commercial ones? is there any additives you can include in homemade versions to make it taste better?
  • maddiemay
    maddiemay Posts: 4,986 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I like the live shop bought ones, have not started making it yet, tho' I have bought the starter culture.

Someone that I know takes a shot glass morning and night and just knocks it back. I think that you can use it in a smoothies if you drink them.
    The best thing about the future is that it comes one day at a time. (Abraham Lincoln)
  • Plasticfreemama
    Options
    I have been thinking about giving this a go for a while, thanks for the tips. Hope it works out!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure