PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Kefir making as alternative to yoghurt making.

Options

Comments

• GardenGirl77
    Options
    Thank you, I'm still intrigued enough to have a go, mainly because it's supposed to be so good for you. Re the sourness - presumably if it's strained you could treat it like yoghurt and sweeten with fruit or honey?
  • shykins
    shykins Posts: 2,758 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    oh yes you can add sweetener to it if its too sour for you. i add peanut butter and/or da vinci sugar free syrups
    When you know better you do better

Atkins since 2004 - 8 stone loss maintaining
  • Caterina
    Caterina Posts: 5,919 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Or if you don't strain it you can make smoothie with it, just add a banana and a couple of dates for sweetness. And because they are good prebiotics (e.g. the stuff that your good bacteria feed on).
    Finally I'm an OAP and can travel free (in London at least!).
  • GardenGirl77
    Options
    Brilliant thank you for those ideas. :T I'll let you know how I get on...
  • ess0two
    ess0two Posts: 3,606 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Anyone still making Kefir?

I've just started myself,it aids my GERD / reflux symptoms etc.
    Official MR B fan club,dont go............................
  • GardenGirl77
    Options
    Yes I am! My first attempt didn't go very well and I ended up binning the grains (I couldn't get on with the taste) but I got some more and now I strain through a sieve to get rid of the watery bit - it ends up like yoghurt (but a bit stronger) and I love it. It's so cheap too, I use about 400ml of whole milk per day and I've now got into a routine of straining some every day and putting in the fridge, then starting off some more. There's plenty for me and the OH to have on our fruit every day.
  • thriftwizard
    thriftwizard Posts: 4,673 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    We're making both milk & water kefir again; water kefir I've done for years, but DD1 has just started up a milk kefir jar again. I may even have inadvertently bred up some ginger kefir - see "In a ferment" thread if interested! We stopped doing milk kefir as it was the least favourite amongst all the brews we make, but DD1 had taken to buying bottles of the stuff to drink at work, enough that she realised she'd be better off making it.
    Angie - GC May 24 £162.50/£450: 2024 Fashion on the Ration Challenge: 10/68: (Money's just a substitute for time & talent...)
  • GardenGirl77
    Options
    I like the sound of ginger kefir... will look at the thread.
  • Primrose
    Primrose Posts: 10,622 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    I,ve now tried several attempts using the freeze dried powdered culture but on every occasion after around 48 hours find mixture has thickened but when I strain it off I'm losing around 50% of the original milk in whey which just has to be thrown away.so end up with a relatively small amount of end product.

What am I doing wrong or is this amount of wastage normal?
  • shykins
    shykins Posts: 2,758 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    not sure how many times you have changed the milk, it can take a few times before it livens up a bit. are your grains multiplying?
    When you know better you do better

Atkins since 2004 - 8 stone loss maintaining
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.6K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family