re-wiring whole house - how much ??

Options

Comments

• Hoploz
    Hoploz Posts: 3,888 Forumite
    Options
    Have just had a quote of over 5k plus VAT for 3 bed detached. Have prices really gone up that much or did I just happen to pick someone who didn't want the job?
  • baldelectrician
    Options
    I was talking to one of my customers a while ago. Her sister lives in the south of England and was having the same problem.

Mentioned it would be half the cost for me and my apprentice to go down and do first fix, then do second fix a few weeks later and she would still be half the price :eek:

Did a rewire last week (2 bed semi WITH concrete downstairs floors and alarm) for less than £2500 all in. A lot of raggling and a lot of dust

Including shower outside security lights side and rear.
    baldly going on...
  • jebervic
    jebervic Posts: 861 Forumite
    Options
    Hi

I have a house where I have to do a periodic test to BS 7671 standard, I am being quoted £350 ! this seems very expensive (Watford area) I also have to carry out any works to bring it up to current IEE standards, anyone have any ideas if I am looking at some costly updating? (baring in mind the that the wiring is probably 15-20 years old?

Thanks for any advice, help or recommendations
  • baldelectrician
    Options
    JEB

The wiring should not need much to bring it up to standard.

The main things are

Main Bonding (earth wires to water and gas mains)
    Supplimentary bonding (in bathroom, round hot water cylinder or boiler)

RCD protection for sockets liable to supply sockets ouitdoors (now deemed by most as ground floor sockets)

These things will either be spot on or code 4 (not meeting current regs but met previous regs)

I usually charge from £150 for a PIR.
    This is the going rate up here
    baldly going on...
  • Hoploz
    Options
    Just to give an update -
    We had 3 quotes, 1 was £5000+, another £6000+

In the end we had the work done or £3500 including a few extras, as you'd expect there to be. They were intelligent, reasonable blokes. We're very happy.

Took 9 days for 2 of them to do it, so I think this breaks down to a very reasonable daily rate, and included materials too.
  • crockpot
    Options
    Our house needs a re wire, and we are saving for it, however how much mess will it involve? Also will I need to re decorate the whole house after?

We live upnorth in a 1959 3 ded semi, down stairs are wooden floor boards.

Also how long does it take? We could move out for a bit, would this make it easier.

Thanks
  • brightontraveller
    Options
    My brother is an niceic inspector in the uk there guides are 1000 per bedroom e.g. three bed house complete would be £3000 that would include making good but not replastering they would fill channels leaving skim coat of plaster needed to be put on top it would also depend on floor wall constructions the rules for uk and Scotland change 1st Jan and become statutory in June for bathrooms and circuit protection the new 17th edition so if your going to get it rewired you should think about meeting those new regs not the ones now

Chapter 1 Regulation 131.6 Requirements added to protect against voltage disturbances, electromagnetic forces are the focus.
    Comment mostly affecting the equipment connected that it connected to the installation so CE mark on it should and I repeat should mean the equipments meets guidelines
    Regulation 132.13 Documentation for every installation as per chapter 51 and part 6.
    Think this may mean old installations require the documentation as well as new, only time will tell
    Chapter 35 Draws attention to other statutory requirement such as building regulations and others affecting amongst others fire escapes, extraction, emergency lighting.
    Could mean a nervous few months as installations will be considered with regulations other than outlined in BS 7671, should have always, but now it seems fresh impedance will put on this.
    Chapter 36 Requires consideration of the life of each to be took into consideration.
    Not to sure what this means apart from the obvious.
    Chapter 41 Direct contact now refers to basic protection and indirect contact is called fault protection
    RCD required for sockets for general use as well as mobile equipment
    Looks like RCD required on all the sockets in a dwelling not just the downstairs
    New tables based on nominal voltage of 230 volts rather than 240 volts
    new tables on RCD BS EN 61008 and BS EN 61009
    Chapter 54 Allows the use of metallic pipe as an earth electrode provided precautions against removal are in place
    Could be useful
    Chapter 56 Inspection and testing and periodic inspections changed for safety service such as emergency lighting
    Part 6 insulation resistance measurements changed for SELV and PELV circuits
    Part 7
    Section 701 Bathrooms, Each circuit to require a 30mA RCD
    1.Changes in zone definitions for swimming pools and other basis and sauna ZONES A B C are changed for zones 0, 1 ,2,3 respectively.
    New special location added
    709 Marinas
    711 Exhibitions
    712 Solar power systems
    717 Mobile units
    740 temporary installations for fair ground rides, circuses
    753 Floor and ceiling heating systems
    These are only a general observation of the changes and are not complete nothing to major apart from perhaps
    Regulation 132.13 (drawings for all installations)
    Chapter 41 RCD (required for sockets for general use as well as mobile equipment )
    Section 701 (Bathrooms Each circuit to require a 30mA RCD)
    17th edition is due to come into affect form June 1st 2008 so any circuit designed after that should comply to the 17th version of BS 7671
  • Hoploz
    Options
    It was a dreadful mess for us, there was no way we could have put up with the mess and brickdust - fortunately we had not yet moved in. Also a 1958 3 bed house, but we had concrete floors downstairs so that meant chasing every socket all the way down the walls. Upstairs we have floorboards and stud walls so nowhere near as bad, although the floorboards are very uneven now after being up and down, and of course carpets are loose - no longer attached to the gripper.
    The chasing was left as the guy above says - filled in but very rough. We went over it with Polyfilla and a few extra coats of paint and you can't see them too badly now as we've decorated all of it. Skirting and coving got a bit damaged too.
    HTH
  • Hoploz
    Options
    Can anyone here help with my other problem please? Re getting lamp shades to fit the low-energy bulbs, thread here:
    http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.html?p=7595317

Thanks
  • Dick_here
    Dick_here Posts: 1,605 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    2 bed bungalow, Midlands, just under £1800 last September.
    Hi, we’ve had to remove your signature. If you’re not sure why please read the forum rules or email the forum team if you’re still unsure - MSE ForumTeam
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure