🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions, or submit your suggestions via this form. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

Narrow escape? - 'Club la Costa'

Options

Comments

• Jsh1
    Jsh1 Posts: 4 Newbie
    edited 10 November 2010 at 11:57PM
    Options
    No mugs bought your rip-off timeshares today hey??

No I don't beleive we phoned you today
  • Jsh1
    Options
    :T
    terryw wrote: »
    The "thick people" to whom you refer are your potential customers. This sums up your concern's attitude, does it not?

They give out their telephone numbers as they are entering a prize draw.
    The number is not given to receive a sales pitch, and as such these telephone calls are quite improper and are completely unsolicited.

errm unsolicited? if you gave your number on a survey for the company to contact you, that isn't an unsolicited phone call.
  • Jsh1
    Options
    johnggold wrote: »
    I've just returned from a 5 day holiday at Duchally, and had a wonderful time after being offered a free holiday.

You do have to endure a 2 1/2 hour presentation, which for me was great fun, anyway.

The number of lies told and the ease with which reps can be caught out is wonderfully enearing.

As long as you keep in mind that everything - and I do mean everything you are told is a lie or a sales pitch, there is no pressure.

At the beginning of the presentation you have to converse through loud background music - keeps your attention, stops you hearing what the other reps are saying.

It's a bit like musical hairs for salesmen. Ask an awkward question, such as why the presentation at Duchally is for 5 star venues when Duchally is only 4 star, results in a change of rep.

When things get really difficult, such as pointing out the offers that Duchally make are really cheap without timeshare, results in a "telephone call" from the management.

Moving the presentation from room to room is a blatant attempt at disorientation.

Stock answers to help shorten the presentation are to say that you don't normally like holidays but this one was free so no risk.

Reps do try to make you ashamed of "taking advantage" of CLC, but I simply pointed out that during the phone invitation I stated that I wasn't interested in timeshare and they still allowed the booking.

Generally the third party argument works well. Just tell each rep that you are going on what the other rep told you earlier. Keeps the reps confused and they get fed up.

Hotel Duchally is a great venue, and we'll being staying there again - without help from CLC.

I could easily attend any number of these presentations, but my wife is not keen, so we probably won't go next time we're asked.

if you went on holiday and you really enjoyed yourself why you giving bad feedback?
  • barginpleasure
    Options
    Jsh1 wrote: »
    if you went on holiday and you really enjoyed yourself why you giving bad feedback?

I have to agree with johnggold. As my post the actual facts from a customer.
    This is not bad feedback though its the truth and I understand the concept of the marketing and sales to get people in the door I have been on 3 presentations.
    The company that phones you dont want sales they want numbers through the door.

I have to say that your comment on thick people is a bit harsh but do have to say I agree with you on the fact dont want phone calls dont put your number and you wont get the follow up call (its not a sales until you go to presentaion). They are chancing their luck with the you have been entered to the prize draw you filled the form for but as a special we can offer you............
    Me and my partner have filled in loads of these forms but funnily enough have never won the holiday you enter for but have been on £30 holidays.
    terryw wrote: »
    Well done John! A smashing post which will help others thinking about scamming the scammers.

This is not for the faint-hearted or the gullible though.
    Have to agree on both counts wear your hard heart if you dont want to sign up.
  • PhylPho
    PhylPho Posts: 1,443 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Seems most unfair to criticise Club La Costa employee Jsh1 for merely stating the bleedin' obvious: people desperate enough to cheapen themselves by submitting to 'presentations' so as to grab a cheap holiday are as you surmise very likely lacking in the kind of self-respect entertained by those of greater cerebral capacity.

You tell it how it is, Jsh1! You're just the kind of eloquent soul whose company so many thickos would be so happy to share.
  • Jsh1
    Options
    PhylPho wrote: »
    Seems most unfair to criticise Club La Costa employee Jsh1 for merely stating the bleedin' obvious: people desperate enough to cheapen themselves by submitting to 'presentations' so as to grab a cheap holiday are as you surmise very likely lacking in the kind of self-respect entertained by those of greater cerebral capacity.

You tell it how it is, Jsh1! You're just the kind of eloquent soul whose company so many thickos would be so happy to share.

theres nothing cheap or horrible about any club la costa resort if you look up pictures on the club la costa website thats where you can go for 30 quid , I think it's brilliant you can stay in a beautiful luxurious resort for just 30 quid all you haveto is just go to a presentation and you get a 50 pound gift voucher to spend in either debenhams, m&S or argos and thats just for turning up. And if your under no obligation to buy or sign anything in order to collect your 30 poud holiday , then whats the fuss?
  • arman_z207
    Options
    Guys, this is an absolute rip off and a scam. I was pressured into buying a 3 year membership for around £3800, with a promise of 5 weeks of holiday. 2 and a half years on, not a single weeks used. Everytime I phone to book, everything seems to be full, despite the fact that im calling at least 6 months in advance. And when I called them this morning, they simply said 'Your membership is expiring in 6 months and you are going to lose all your money'. This matter is definately going to end up in the courts and hopefully we can raise enough awareness so that people will stop being ripped off by these expert conmen.
  • corred
    Options
    Just had a phone call from CLC following a competition entry on a holiday site

Started asking questions about, age, marital status etc.....which I questioned the need for.......I was told this was simply info I had already provided...so why did they need it again ?

Clearly they were looking at if I met the demographic for their holiday club schemes.....

When I made it clear I did not wish to supply the info or was not interested in these type of holiday schemes, the girl got quite defensive saying don't I wish to enter the comp any more I said not if it involved a holiday club ...... then the truth came out when she said "so you're not interested in any holiday special offers this year then"

When I said no a very miffed sales girl hung up....probably got stuck when her script wasn't able to help her
  • WannabeNigella
    Options
    I got a phone call from them this morning. Gave them short shrift. They keep trying to phone me back. I refuse to answer (have caller I.D)

If the holiday was as free as the girl was making out then they wouldn't be that desperate to contact me, surely? If I was trying to give something away to someone and they kept ignoring me, I'd think "sod you then! I'll give it to someone else" Avoid.
  • DontTrustAnyone
    Options
    Had a call yesterday from them, they told me I had filled in a questionaire, I said I had not. However it occured to me the only thing filled in recently was from Sainsbury's. Just going off subject when I do anything with any company I always give my email address as companyname@myown address.co.uk..This way when I recieve spam I know exactly what company has used it. So this Sainsbury questionaire I filled in was given an email address of sainsbury@myaddress.co.uk..It turns out it was never sainsbury but this company using Sainsbury to trick parties into believeing it was all genuine. I pointed this out to the person from this time share company who verified my email as the sainbury one, I accused him of underhand practices and he terminated the call. I have reported the matter to sainsbury's, who were not impressed.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 11 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.7K Travel & Transport