Forum Home» Old Style MoneySaving

July 2009 Grocery Challenge - Page 14

New Post Advanced Search

July 2009 Grocery Challenge

edited 28 June 2009 at 9:52PM in Old Style MoneySaving
924 replies 70.3K views

Replies

• Right, later than promised....here is my Freezer/Fridge/Store cupboard list....so my need lots of help in stretching it all out for a month.

Storecupboard

Jar Korma
    Jar Spicy Curry ( not sure what it is...posh Pataks one! )
    Mandarin Segments
    Pineapple
    Baked beans x 1
    Peach Slices
    Chocolate and Strawb whip ( angel delight )
    Couple packs jelly
    Tuna x 1
    Chick peas ( tinned )
    Curry Sauce ( basics...yucku! )
    Spaghetti
    Pasta twists
    Lasagne
    Various flours; SR, Plain, Bread
    Sugar
    Cous Cous
    Pearl Barley
    Various herbs and Spices, oils stocks and vinegars

Fridge

1 pint milk
    leftover BBQ bits
    2 tubs coleslaw
    Cooked Noisette Lamb
    Butter
    Cheese

Freezer

Chicken Portion x 1
    Chicken thigh fillet x 2
    Belly Pork x 2
    Veggie risotto x 2
    Chicken Thighs x 2
    Various Fish; Smoked haddock, dog fish, and something else im not sure of!
    Frozen Roast Pork and chicken ( about 4 tubs of each )
    Hm Soups ( about 6 tubs )
    Beef Mince 500g
    Pork Mince 500g
    Blue Cheese
    Chilli ( one portion )
    Mixed frozen peppers 1 tub
    Pasta Meal ( hm that I cant remember whats in it! LOL )
    Green bacon
    Smoked Ham
    Swede x 3 tubs
    Calamari ( battered )

Im gonna need lots of help...LOL

I need to top up on bread/milk/eggs/butter and some fresh veg/fruit...but welcome any suggestions
    Kent Bird!:beer:
  • BarneysmomBarneysmom Forumite
    10.1K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    HI! Sorry, I am late starting this month - can you put me down for £160 please? I've got plenty in for a bit.
    I've got those vouchers for Tesco that'll save me I think a total of £12.50 ona £50 spend which is good, though I have to use by Sunday else they'll go to watse.

I still haven't got an oggy recipe so I'll just make it up as I go along. A diner in a pie isn't it? :cool::cool:
  • cw18cw18 Forumite
    8.2K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭
    Just been to A!di for my first shop of the month - needed bread today, will need milk tomorrow (but I'm out all day helping out with Reception children on a trip to a farm), and checked out the Super 6 while I was there.

It's only as I've come to update my spends that I noticed the bread has gone up! On 25th June it was 38p, but today it's 47p :eek:

So I've spent £2.71 out of my budget for 2 days of £7.65, with 1 NSD so far (against a best to date of 15 NSDs in May, and 12 last month)

I got

2 x 1 litre milk @ 49p each
    1 x thick sliced loaf @ 47p
    Super 6 Bananas - pack of 3 for 28p (0.58kg @ 49p/kg)
    Super 6 Grapes - 500g punnet @ 49p
    Super 6 new potatoes - 1.5kg bag @ 49p
    Cheryl
  • beasygirlbeasygirl Forumite
    172 posts
    Hi, just got round to updating by June spends (of which I was within budget :j) I would like to be put down for £320 this month, managed to squeeze a big shop in on the last day of June so have stocked on toilet rolls etc etc.

Will attempt to follow this thread a bit more this time, it just moves so quick - and there is so little time.

Huge thanks to all the work that goes into these threads, they're much appreicated :T
    Currently takling Barclaycard - £67/£350
    Debt free date October 2014
    :jDoing it for my girlies!!:j
    38lbs lost in 2011
    SW for May 8lb/7lb
  • cuddlymarmcuddlymarm Forumite
    1.4K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts
    ✭✭✭
    Hi everyone

What a lovely sunny day again:j

Can I be put down for £50 per week this month please. I've got my youngest home from uni for the summer and lots of visitors over the coming month so my food bill has really gone up . I have got lots in the cupboards but I seem to be spending a fortune on bread, milk and salad at the moment.

Anyway I'd better get on
    Have a good month everyone
    Cuddles:rotfl:
    January NST 2/16
  • xx_Jo_xxxx_Jo_xx Forumite
    2.9K posts
    Uniform Washer
    Thanks for all the advice re the BBQ food.

I have some chicken breasts and king prawns in the freezer so will defrost some of those and use them to make kebabs. I have cherry toms which I can use for those too.

In the freezer I also have a bag of mini corn on the cobs. I have some bread rolls too and some pita breads. I also have some fruit which I got from sainsburys in the freezer, so will defrost that for a fruit salad.

I bought a birthday cake :D, some burgers, sausages, chicken wings, and some other stuff I cant remember.......oh yes, ice lollies and ice cream!! I treated myself to Hagen Daas (SP?) since its my birthday.

But it was the alcohol which blew my budget so Ive already blown it for this month.

It will be a very tight month for me now......but will still have stuff in the cupboards/freezer which should last the month.

xx
    :)Sometimes lurking, sometimes posting, but always flying:)
    You are supposed to be the leading lady of your own life, for God's sake! - The Holiday
    DFW :idea: August 2013... Debt total £15,475.56 - Jan 15 £11,738.66 - DEBT FREE by 2015
    Feb GC £48.02/£250 (£201.98)
    :D I will declutter my house and debts :D
  • Cheery_DaffCheery_Daff Forumite
    10.2K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hi again all,

glad to hear I'm not the only one who gets through a lot of milk! :)

Lemon Verbena - thanks for the mint tea tip :) I actually don't like mint as a general rule... but I am rather partial to spearmint softmints, lol! And I have some spearmint in the garden, so I might just try what you suggest, thanks! :)

Been to T*sco this morning, and spent £41 (forgot to update signature, will do it in a bit...). Got loads of stuff though, and plenty of fruit and veg. Everything other than fruit and veg should last us a fortnight at least. Also got 4 pints of milk for 87p! Did a meal plan last night too, so we'll see how we get on...

We had our first strawberry out of the garden last week, yes, just the one! And it was really really tiny :) Still, very proud of ourselves, and it was free.

On the down side, I've been growing lettuce, it hasn't grown very well at all (I am very shoddy at these things), and we ate what there was last week, and it was horrid! Really really bitter! I don't always just eat iceberg... but this was almost inedible. No idea what i did, it would have been nice to have free salad!

xx
  • pinknfluffypinknfluffy Forumite
    605 posts
    Please put me down for 350.00 for July, going to try very hard to stick to budget this month as failed miserably in May and didn't join in in June cos of new grandaughter and revising for an exam. Must go on a diet too just caught sight of myself in the mirror....jeez.
    Be kinder than necessary because we do not know the battles that someone else may face

A103, A210, U211, EA300, Y163, AA316, DSE141, A300 = BA (Hons):T
    A815 MA (current)
  • SunnyGirlSunnyGirl Forumite
    2.6K posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    Right, later than promised....here is my Freezer/Fridge/Store cupboard list....so my need lots of help in stretching it all out for a month.

Storecupboard

Jar Korma Use the chicken thighs padded out with veggies
    Jar Spicy Curry ( not sure what it is...posh Pataks one! )
    Mandarin Segments
    Pineapple
    Baked beans x 1
    Peach Slices
    Chocolate and Strawb whip ( angel delight )
    Couple packs jelly
    Tuna x 1 Tuna pasta salad with hard boiled eggs, chopped onion & mayo
    Chick peas ( tinned ) Try making falafel burgers & serve with pittas and salad. Really easy & yummy. Recipe here
    Curry Sauce ( basics...yucku! ) Either doctor it up so it's eatable for you or try it poured over chips for a quick tea
    Spaghetti
    Pasta twists
    Lasagne
    Various flours; SR, Plain, Bread
    Sugar
    Cous Cous
    Pearl Barley
    Various herbs and Spices, oils stocks and vinegars

Fridge

1 pint milk
    leftover BBQ bits
    2 tubs coleslaw
    Cooked Noisette Lamb
    Butter
    Cheese

Freezer

Chicken Portion x 1 I'd strip the meat off and mix into the veggie risotto
    Chicken thigh fillet x 2 See korma sauce above
    Belly Pork x 2 Slow cook & serve with cous cous
    Veggie risotto x 2
    Chicken Thighs x 2
    Various Fish; Smoked haddock, dog fish, and something else im not sure of! Defrost, make into gougons and serve as a seafood platter with the calamari
    Frozen Roast Pork and chicken ( about 4 tubs of each )
    Hm Soups ( about 6 tubs )
    Beef Mince 500g Make a bol sauce up and have one night as a lasagne & another as a bolognese
    Pork Mince 500g Make into HM burgers in buns with salad
    Blue Cheese
    Chilli ( one portion )
    Mixed frozen peppers 1 tub Make into a pasta bake with the smoked ham, an onion, a tin of tomatos and the pasta twists
    Pasta Meal ( hm that I cant remember whats in it! LOL )
    Green bacon
    Smoked Ham
    Swede x 3 tubs
    Calamari ( battered )

Im gonna need lots of help...LOL

I need to top up on bread/milk/eggs/butter and some fresh veg/fruit...but welcome any suggestions
    Hi & welcome to the Grocery Challenge :D I've been thinking about your list & have put some suggestions in pink. If I think of any more I'll post them up, but I'm sure a lot of others will be along to have a look soon :T
    A G&T a day keeps the doctor away :p
  • xx_Jo_xxxx_Jo_xx Forumite
    2.9K posts
    Uniform Washer
    the really cheap curry sauce......

I cooked through some chicken, chucked in some veg, poured the sauce in.

Then I dissolved a chicken stock cube in boiling water and added that too - then chucked in two packs of basics noodles (discard the sachets)

I was ok - not great but the kids loved it and you wouldnt have known it was value/basics curry sauce!!
    :)Sometimes lurking, sometimes posting, but always flying:)
    You are supposed to be the leading lady of your own life, for God's sake! - The Holiday
    DFW :idea: August 2013... Debt total £15,475.56 - Jan 15 £11,738.66 - DEBT FREE by 2015
    Feb GC £48.02/£250 (£201.98)
    :D I will declutter my house and debts :D