BT broadband speeds

Options
Hello,
I am having major problems with my BT broadband, infact BT in general.
I have been living at my current address for just over two years now and the broadband speed has been a constant 2.8 mb down and about 300k up. However about a month ago my broadband speed dropped to 250k down and 380k up (strange to have a better up speed than down). So for the last month I have been ringing BT to try and get this situation resolved, a month in and my speed is now at 750k down and 320k up. I have been told that its the best I can get???. So people where do I go from here? Should i just contact the ombudsman? ANY help with this would be fantastic.

Thanks for your time.
R. Wileman

Comments

• Mister_aaa
    Mister_aaa Posts: 142 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    amy080584 wrote: »
    Hello,
    I am having major problems with my BT broadband, infact BT in general.
    I have been living at my current address for just over two years now and the broadband speed has been a constant 2.8 mb down and about 300k up. However about a month ago my broadband speed dropped to 250k down and 380k up (strange to have a better up speed than down). So for the last month I have been ringing BT to try and get this situation resolved, a month in and my speed is now at 750k down and 320k up. I have been told that its the best I can get???. So people where do I go from here? Should i just contact the ombudsman? ANY help with this would be fantastic.

Thanks for your time.
    R. Wileman

I've just switched from BT to Bethere (with £80 cashback to boot).
    Gone from a 2mb connection to an 8mb, unlimited downloads and wireless hub.

I've saved £13 a month compared to the "deal" i was on with BT, more if you factor in the cashback.

Might be worth switching?
    :grin: PPI Reclaimed £15,500 - between 2008 & 2014 :grin:
    :grin:Mortgage Free - 15th July 2009 :grin:
    :grin: Debt Free - 14th Jan 2011 :grin:
    It's possible.
  • amy080584
    amy080584 Posts: 17 Forumite
    Options
    Mister_aaa wrote: »
    I've just switched from BT to Bethere (with £80 cashback to boot).
    Gone from a 2mb connection to an 8mb, unlimited downloads and wireless hub.

I've saved £13 a month compared to the "deal" i was on with BT, more if you factor in the cashback.

Might be worth switching?

Indeed it might be worth a switch. Are you far from your local exchange do you know? I can tell you how to find out if you like?
  • Mister_aaa
    Mister_aaa Posts: 142 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    amy080584 wrote: »
    Indeed it might be worth a switch. Are you far from your local exchange do you know? I can tell you how to find out if you like?

I'm already waiting for the modem to arrive, i'm not sure how far away from the exchange, i think its the one up the road, so it's not that far.
    :grin: PPI Reclaimed £15,500 - between 2008 & 2014 :grin:
    :grin:Mortgage Free - 15th July 2009 :grin:
    :grin: Debt Free - 14th Jan 2011 :grin:
    It's possible.
  • iniltous
    iniltous Posts: 3,091 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    edited 28 June 2009 at 4:25PM
    Options
    I had problems with BT broadband a while ago, and the calls to the 'support' call centre (in India) were frustrating, I had read somewhere that you could insist on a call back within 24hrs from a UK based call centre so I asked for that, and got a call back from someone in Newcastle within the 24Hrs...... he was able to explain what the problem was and what the resolution was going to be, as it was, I had been moved onto new equipment in the exchange and my slow speed was due to a new 'training' period, and by the time of his call back I was 7 days into the 10 days ( so I still has to wait for another 3 days before a stable connection) so the UK guy didnt do anthing special but was miles better at explaining what had happened to my speed, Call BT back and insist on a call from a UK based technical support person.
  • BT_company_representative
    BT_company_representative Posts: 1,861 Organisation Representative
    Options
    Hey there,

I would be happy to look into the speed issues that you have been having. I will need you to PM me your account details and an overview of what problems you are having and I will get straight on it.

Cheers
    Sean
    BT Support
    Official Company Representative
    I am the official company representative of BT. MSE has given permission for me to post in response to queries about the company, so that I can help solve issues. You can see my name on the companies with permission to post list. I am not allowed to tout for business at all. If you believe I am please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com This does NOT imply any form of approval of my company or its products by MSE"
  • amy080584
    Options
    Hey there,

I would be happy to look into the speed issues that you have been having. I will need you to PM me your account details and an overview of what problems you are having and I will get straight on it.

Cheers
    Sean
    BT Support

Can I have a direct number for you? Or could I give you mine?
    Options
    Hey, Pm me your details and I will get back to you..

Sean
    I am the official company representative of BT. MSE has given permission for me to post in response to queries about the company, so that I can help solve issues. You can see my name on the companies with permission to post list. I am not allowed to tout for business at all. If you believe I am please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com This does NOT imply any form of approval of my company or its products by MSE"
  • amy080584
    Options
    Hey, Pm me your details and I will get back to you..

Sean
    I have just sent you my details
  • amy080584
    Options
    When you said that you would get back to me, did you infact mean an Indian call centre operative would? As thats the only contact I have had with BT today.
    Options
    Yeah our tech help desk is based off shore, how did you get on with them? did the resolve the problem?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure