Stay away from myhermes delivery company - total quack company

Options

Comments

• daugapils
    daugapils Posts: 28 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    packed three items to send out to different addresses.myhermes only collected one and I had to call three times , and everytime I had been promised that things were looked at.
    After a week I cancelled the order.I doubt this can be called a glitch, rather pretty slack operation.
  • Esoog
    Esoog Posts: 1,489 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Does anyone know how the couriers get paid for working for myhermes? My girlfriend had a delivery scheduled (by her at point of sale) for wednesday because she had a day, however she was off work on tuesday as not feeling well..about lunchtime she hears a noise at the door and finds the myhermes woman putting a card through the door. When she opened it she said the woman gave her a funny look and said "I wasn't expecting you to be in, this isn't due to be delivered until tomorrow but we try to get them delivered the day they come in"

?! Do they get extra money for a unable to deliver and then redelivery or something? Why would you try to deliver on a totally different day to the one requested?! I ordered something yesterday and have chosen next saturday for deliv because I'm at work all week like most people - if they try to deliver before then I won't be impressed.
  • mod81
    mod81 Posts: 29 Forumite
    edited 15 August 2010 at 2:36PM
    Options
    I have used myhermes to send some parcels to NI and offshore island as there rates are much better for these destinations than other couriers such as DHL, their delivery times are a quite long often taking a full week to get there but as long as your receipent is aware of this then its not really a problem.
    Its usually the same driver who collects our parcels and he will often call a couple of times in the day to pickup if your not around when they first call as he is local, something that other couriers won't do. Not had a parcel not arrive or arrived damaged with them yet in 12 months of using them but to be fair i send most items DHL or royalmail.
    As with any courier company is depends on the competance of the local driver but for me the driver who picks up in the Radcliffe/Bury area of Manchester is excellent.

The only other gripe i have is that you have to book before 8pm the day before to get the parcel collected, DHL will collect on the same day if collection is booked before 12:30
  • SADIE
    SADIE Posts: 527 Forumite
    Options
    Originally posted by Esoog
    Does anyone know how the couriers get paid for working for myhermes? My girlfriend had a delivery scheduled (by her at point of sale) for wednesday because she had a day, however she was off work on tuesday as not feeling well..about lunchtime she hears a noise at the door and finds the myhermes woman putting a card through the door. When she opened it she said the woman gave her a funny look and said "I wasn't expecting you to be in, this isn't due to be delivered until tomorrow but we try to get them delivered the day they come in"
    Esoog, I can answer this one, Hermes couriers have to try to deliver 3 times for the same price so no they don't enhance their pay for multiple trips. The company expect couriers to attempt delivery on the day of receipt(even when a different chosen day is stated). You have a really nice courier some pretend to call and then deliver on stated day, I text mine when possible to double check they haven't altered their stated day or call and leave a card too.
    Your courier is actually doing the job as stated by Hermes but will be out of pocket by calling more than once.
  • adviceforall
    adviceforall Posts: 682 Forumite
    edited 15 August 2010 at 4:52PM
    Options
    When I worked for them it was 40p a parcel, it you went back 3 times then you still got 40p, undelivered parcels you get nothing, even for going 3/4 times. You don't get paid for simply putting a card through the door.

I think all hermes couriers are self employed, mums with children, men/women, old and young. You have to provide your own car, pay your own petrol and tax/insurance. Most customers are nice but you take a lot of flack as well at times.

I used to deliver as early as possible ( straight after collecting my parcels) and work till I had finished my round ( sometimes 100 parcels a day at busy times)..Then you get customers who expect you to come back out after 6pm or at weekend when you finished.

Glad i dont do it anymore as it was hard work, I did enjoy it and had lots of nice customers, i always left my mobile number on cards so they could contact me...We pay our own phone bills so when we have to phone someone back or a mobile we can spend more of our 40p for their parcel on a call and fuel.

From the other side I have used them a couple of times to send ebay parcels and they have always been picked up on time and delivered on time, maybe not as fast a Royal Mail but for larger items they were cheaper
  • ameliarose
    Options
    I've been reading all the complaints about Hermes, and although it's terrible, it's also comforting to know you're not the only one going through it!

I've been having terrible trouble with Hermes myself. To be fair it is only since I moved so it does depend on the individual courier. But he's rude, abusive in his manor, a thoroughly nasty piece of work! There are parking restrictions where I live, although it is possible to park, but he's using this as an excuse not to deliver to me. I've complained but don't seem to be getting anywhere. The trouble is Hermes seem to deliver for all the companies that I order from, so I'm unable to order anything from anywhere! It's unbelievable, and I don't know what to do?

Unfortunately I think when Hermes employ people they really do seem to scrape the bottom of the barrel for their staff!

A most upset and disgruntled customer!
  • SADIE
    Options
    Originally posted by ameliarose
    There are parking restrictions where I live, although it is possible to park, but he's using this as an excuse not to deliver to me.

Unfortunately I think when Hermes employ people they really do seem to scrape the bottom of the barrel for their staff!
    I have a difficult route with many parking restrictions. When you say it's possible to park, is it some distance away or chancing it (legally speaking)? Can't see why a courier would invent an excuse not to deliver, turn away work.

Hermes will agree with the courier if distance is the issue, the couriers are mainly car drivers and not supposed to leave the car with parcels unattended for any length of time, obviously if there isn't a bay, set down point or legal parking nearby, the courier can refuse to risk a parking fine.

I've recently refused to deliver to a few addresses with those issues, even the post office(who usually are given some leeway)are having problems and an Iceland van was clamped. Added to the misery the customers were too busy to contact me until the 3rd and final attempt.

If you do have legal parking, let the company know when you order and they'll instruct the courier via Hermes (sometimes they include a map).

I'm pleased to say my customers don't think Hermes scraped the bottom of the barrel when I started delivering for them. You do usually only hear the problem stories and only one side of those.
  • cyberbob
    cyberbob Posts: 9,480 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    SADIE wrote: »
    You do usually only hear the problem stories and only one side of those.
    it's just that my Hermes seem to have a higher proportion than most other companies which i'm afraid can't all be put down to unreasonable customers.
  • SADIE
    Options
    Originally posted by Cyberbob

Quote:
    Originally Posted by SADIE viewpost.gif
    You do usually only hear the problem stories and only one side of those.

it's just that my Hermes seem to have a higher proportion than most other companies which i'm afraid can't all be put down to unreasonable customers.
    I'm not suggesting ameliarose is an unreasonable customer, if there's legal parking she should expect a delivery with a smile.

If there's not she should understand the problems.

I pointed out problems and hopefully gave some advice.

My experiences are obviously not connected to amelias deliveries.

There's many complaints about all delivery companies on the web but
    there does seems to be a higher proportion of complaints than most on this forum but there is a dedicated thread.

I had a look through the thread "Stay away from myhermes delivery company - total quack company" easily googled to vent.
    12 complaints, some late and a broken item, 10 praises (some new posters) and 2 that wouldn't use because of vents, a few with good and bad to say.

Unfortunately you do usually only hear about problems and one side of the story, human nature.
    Originally posted by Cyberbob on 26/10/09
    As with most companies there's both bad and good reviews.
    Very true

As with most courier companies, there's good and bad couriers and reasonable and unreasonable customers.
  • ameliarose
    Options
    No I most certainly am not an unreasonable customer! There is parking across the street and I live in a good area. Yes there is restrictions directly outside my house but have had confirmation in writing from the local council that the courier can stop to load and unload as long as it's not during rush hour or for longer than twenty minutes. He still wont deliver.

I've also spoken to his field manager and given him a copy of the letter. The field manager was just as rude I have to say. He showed up at my house, pushed his way through my door (uninvited!) and plonked himself down on my sofa, again, uninvited! I was so taken aback I didn't know what to say. Especially when he told me to put the kettle on! I should have asked him to leave right there and then but was desperate to get the problem with the courier sorted out I made him a cup of tea. He spent the whole time talking to my cleavage! I wanted to tell him that my face was a little higher up! He then patted my leg and assured me that he would personally collect and deliver my parcels in future.

Well he did for a little while, but a month on and he's got fed up with doing it. Maybe he was hoping for a little extra gratification from me, and when he realised he wasn't going to get it he's got fed up. Anyway, when I phoned to ask why he's no longer delivering he's denied even knowing me!

So no, I'm not the unreasonable one! All I wanted was a normal service, but I tell you, they are a bunch of miserable crooks!

I'm sure there are some good ones, but unfortunately where I live it's not the case!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure