no toilets at job centre

Options
Hi, this is my first post so go easy. Thanks to the whole credit crunch disaster I've got to experience the wonderful world of jobseekers allowance. Anyway I had to go for my 13 week interview, and was running late thanks to our countries wonderful integerated transport system (the bus broke down). I got there, but didn't get a chance to visit any facilities before hand, so I asked were the loos were. They don't have any; this might not seem like a big deal, but it kind of sums alot of the problems with the system. We are now customers, and they are facilitating our journey back to employment or some other such mangement consultant non-sense. Yet they can't be bothered to install basic facilities in a place people have to wait an indeterminate amount of time or lose money they our relying on. Put it another way, can you imagine a doctors waiting room without a toilet?

Comments

• Pssst
    Pssst Posts: 4,803 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I feel your pain...and discomfort however the problem is that if public facilities are provided they have to be maintained ('elf n safety) and the other thing is that the underclass tends to use them for nefarious purposes.
  • mvengemvenge
    mvengemvenge Posts: 599 Forumite
    Options
    Pssst wrote: »
    I feel your pain...and discomfort however the problem is that if public facilities are provided they have to be maintained ('elf n safety) and the other thing is that the underclass tends to use them for nefarious purposes.

Also, being a government building, there is a security issue (ie people potentially leaving bombs in bags, etc).
    Fokking Fokk!
  • nexuss
    nexuss Posts: 989 Forumite
    Options
    There were so many problems with drug users and also due to security threats.
  • Lugh_Chronain
    Lugh_Chronain Posts: 6,867 Forumite
    First Post Photogenic First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Feeble excuses for not supplying toilet facilities. I'm not having a go at the poster here but the Job Centre. What if you have a genuine problem? What then?

By the way, bombs can be planted anywhere where there are a multitude of people. And as for drug users, they'll most likely find somewhere to take their illicit drugs regardless. Let’s not forget that pubs and supermarkets have toilet facilities. Don't tell me drug users don't use these facilities because there not government owned. Libraries have toilet facilities too and they’re run by the council. OK, they’re not quite government owned but still at least they don't use those types of excuses.

Isn't the NHS run by the government as well? Their buildings have toilets - GP's, hospitals, clinics, etc.

Surely when there are a lot of people using any facility they should provide toilets??

By the way bartelbe, which area are you living? Here in Richmond-upon-Thames we have what's called The Community Toilet Scheme. The scheme enables local businesses like pubs, restaurants and shops, to work together with the Council to make more clean, safe and accessible toilets available to the public.

Perhaps you could find out if there's something similar in your area. Try your local library for instance for information.
  • hullight
    hullight Posts: 524 Forumite
    Options
    Toilets in Job Centres might mean less drug needles for us to clean up in our toilets at McDonalds.
  • lukieboy96
    lukieboy96 Posts: 666 Forumite
    Options
    Well, if they had toilets, someone could have a job!!!!!!!! They want people back in work! LOL!!
  • Wicked_witch
    Options
    At my local job centre, they make clients wait outside on the street sometimes- no idea why, but I'm sure that not being considered worthy enough to even enter the building does tons for their self esteem. At least they can pee up a lampost I suppose...
  • Oldernotwiser
    Oldernotwiser Posts: 37,425 Forumite
    Options
    My local Jobcentre has loos but they're in a newish, purpose built building. In many older ones I'd think that the cost of installing them (including with disabled access) and policing them would make it prohibitive.
  • ArsenalFC
    ArsenalFC Posts: 1,095 Forumite
    Options
    Pssst wrote: »
    the underclass tends to use them for nefarious purposes.

I hope you are not suggesting the million or so who lost their jobs in the recession and had to sign on are underclass.
  • bartelbe
    bartelbe Posts: 553 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I don't think the security issue is relevant. I use to work at a major train station, which is a far bigger target than any job centre, yet they could provide loos. Our local library has problems with addicts and homeless people (good place to get out of the rain), yet they provide facilities (a key from the desk for security). My point is, if we are meant to be customers as the government claims, then treat us as such.
    The system seems to have a split personality. One half is the modern we are in it together to get back to work idea, the other half is low level harassment because the governments wants you off the claiment count; the number represents the failure of our politicians.
    I feel a bit sorry for alot of the staff, alot of them really want to help, but the system gets in their way. The guy I saw at my 13 week interview couldn't of been more helpful. He managed to find a suitable position on the computer that wasn't from one of the agencies that seem to infest the systems job search database (I've been warned by several employers that agency applicants are filed in the bin). He helped me with the voluntary work I want to do, include finding a more interesting voluntary placement that the one I intended to apply for. Yet even he was at war with a broken computer system that refused to accept any details.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure