PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Recycling tips

Options

Comments

• Caterina
    Caterina Posts: 5,919 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Our local council picks up Xmas trees on request for recycling, I think they use them for mulching.

Now that I have written this, I need to ring them about ours before I forget again!

Caterina
    Finally I'm an OAP and can travel free (in London at least!).
  • King_Pugwash
    Options
    Anyone who uses the green compost bins from the councils, beware of rats...they love them! The solution is to go to Wilkinsons and get a role of steel mesh <£5? and stand your bin on the mesh and curl it up around the sides of your bin. The worms can get it but the rats can't! My rats have now all gone elsewhere.
  • King_Pugwash
    Options
    Forgot to mention I have got a "Compost Carry" from Lakeland (https://www.lakelandlimited.com) to put all veg peelings in. The thing is plastic with a detachable lid which contains a filter so you don't get any nasty niffs in your kitchen. Pretty cheap at £3.95 for the larger one. Great product if you go to the compost bin as infrequently as I do!
  • King_Pugwash
    Options
    If you have been victim of domestic violence the best thing to do with old xmas cards is burn them. Beentold this by a policewoman. Because if the ex roots around in your recycling and finds other men's names on the cards this will get his back up and put you at more risk!

On a lighter note does anyone know where i can get a log maker that makes logs out of shredded paper? Been looking for AGES.

Try The Green Shop (https://www.greenshop.co.uk), click on the logo of the Green Shop and there is a log maker for £30 in the pictures at the top of the page. They also have another log maker on their site for £15.
  • TG
    TG Posts: 1 Newbie
    Options
    I recently found this excellent website which has links to many local and nationwide organisations to help you recycle/reuse/donate absolutely everything. Even old cans of paint can get used by community projects!

http://www.reuze.co.uk/recycle.shtml

This is the list from the webpage:

alu cans · batteries · books · cardboard · CDs · clothes · coins · computers · curtains · fluorescent tubes · fridges · furniture · glass · hearing aids · inkjet cartridges · junk mail · light bulbs · medical equipment · medicines · metals · mobile phones · motor oil · office furniture · organic waste · paint · paint stripper · paper · plastic · printed circuit boards · printer cartridges · sewing machines · spectacles · stamps ·steel cans · televisions · tools · tyres · vegetable oil · vinyl records · yellow pages · WEEE ·white spirit · wood ·
  • Squidgy
    Squidgy Posts: 684 Forumite
    Options
    Got my recycling bin from the council today - hooray!
    It's not WHAT you know, it's WHO you know
  • scuzz
    scuzz Posts: 1,995 Forumite
    Options
    Before recycling paper, cut it into four - if one side is blank, and staple it together. Then you've got a new note pad to keep by the phone or wherever.

Then when that's finished with, send it to recycle
    Comping, Clicking & Saving for Change
  • Squidgy
    Squidgy Posts: 684 Forumite
    Options
    I used to make these for the guys in my old job. I've got a big stack of paper I could use to make these - I've been wondering what to do with it - thanks for the reminder!
    It's not WHAT you know, it's WHO you know
  • Jay-Jay_4
    Jay-Jay_4 Posts: 7,351 Forumite
    Options
    On a lighter note does anyone know where i can get a log maker that makes logs out of shredded paper? Been looking for AGES.

I know it's been answered already but I got my Mum and Dad one for Xmas from The Centre for Alternative Technology  :D

It was £35 inc postage but is really heavy duty and well made. Apparently some cheaper imports are available but this is the one mentioned on Richard and Judy a couple of months ago  ::)    ;D

Edited to say DUH!!!! not Richard and Judy... Fern and Phil (This Morning) old habits etc ::)
    Just run, run and keep on running!

• ssherlock
    Options
    Has anybody heard of this? It's waste digester that East Sussex Council are offering and my sister-in-law has asked me about it. I've never heard of it and the link at http://www.eastsussexcc.gov.uk/environment/rubbishandrecycling/whatyoucando/default.htm gives a page not found message.

Just wondered if anybody has a) heard of it and/or b) got any experience with it?

Also, has anybody tried Bokashi yet?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport