PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Recycling tips

Options

Comments

16011996 Posts: 8,313 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    i use chopsticks for plant sticks, you can just write on the side what you've planted.
  • HOLsale
    HOLsale Posts: 1,231 Forumite
    Options
    16011996 wrote:
    i never put loo roll inners in compost. never thought of that.

you can add 100% natural fibres to the compost heap as well, cotton and wool are fine :D
    founder of Frugal Genius UK (Yahoo Groups)
  • HOLsale
    Options
    Caterina wrote:
    You can pee on the compost too, it is supposed to be very good for it!

Caterina

urine is an activator and will help your compost get nice and 'hot' though it shouldn't be done regularly!

we used to make our own fertiliser for our tomato's by mixing dh's urine, water, grass, nettles and other weeds, sheep dung (we lived on a croft at the time) and seaweed. you let this set for a few weeks and then you can use it. it stinks to high heaven but the plants love it!
  • HOLsale
    Options
    culpepper wrote:
    Recycle the christmas paper.
    Keep the big bits and smooth with a warm iron .It helps get tape off if ironed.Roll the paper round a cardboard roll and put it away till next year.
    We do this every year.

and anything that is beyond being saved by the iron can be cut up and used for the kids art box! this year dd's art box was full to bursting with gorgous papers and ribbons and the nursery got the rest
  • arkonite_babe
    arkonite_babe Posts: 7,375 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Hi, on the NI board, I have posted a lot of advice on recycling see THIS THREADfor advice.

HTH ;)
  • HOLsale
    Options
    personpaul wrote:
    Wow.....My First Post!!!!!

Are there any facilities for recycling this product, or any campaigns to get it replaced by more "friendly" materials (such as the air filled bags). It always seems such a waste of resources, as I know polystyrene, or indeed any plastics use a lot of water and energy to make.

i abhor the use of polystyrene myself so i understand what you're on about! i do mystery shopping and one of the outlets i go to on a regular basis uses polystyrene for it's food. fortunately this company wants objective reports (many don't :mad: ) so i always criticise the fact that they are using styrofoam for their food packaging when even corporate giants like mc d's use paper now. appearantly, according to the owner of the company i work for, the client is now considering other packaging for their products! they said they never realised it offended the customers!

not exactly the reason i wanted them to stop using it but if it gets it done then that will be good enough for me!
  • HOLsale
    Options
    climbgirl wrote:
    A few years ago, my friend started what we now refer to as Black Bag Nights. You get a group of people (5 or 6 is a good number), everyone brings along their unwanted clothes, shoes, and other assorted belongings and they all go into a pile. Each item is held up and claimed (or put into the Fight Pile if more than one person wants it!) and anything left over goes to charity shops.
    It's a fantastic way of clearing out your belongings and picking up some new items for free! You'd be surprised at what you get from these nights. A good fun night too.

that is a brilliant idea! we live in family flats for the uni here and i think i will organise this for the entire block of flats! this would be excellent and a good way for the kids to get different clothes and toys etc!!! i think the big people might have fun too :D
  • Chris25
    Chris25 Posts: 12,918 Forumite
    Photogenic First Anniversary First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    I don't think I've ever thrown away a cork. I've used them to make noticeboards, mobiles, stick covers in the garden and I gave a small sackload to the local bowls club who use them to line their green to prevent the edge of the lawn from becoming damaged (just goes to show how much wine I've guzzled over the years :o ).

I also use them in the kitchen drawers to cover the points of sharp knives. I just keep them in the garage until needed, although increasingly now, more and more bottles either come with a screwtop or plastic corks.

If you have comfrey growing in the garden, you can steep some in a bucket of water (for at least four weeks) and you have an excellent plant feed for indoor and outdoor plants. Take out a pint and dilute the mixture with another pint of water before feeding. It's pretty strong stuff.
  • Magentasue
    Magentasue Posts: 4,229 Forumite
    Options
    Yes, you wouldn't want to be dealing with that comfrey water in sandals! And don't expect to be let back in the house. Same with "worm wee" from the wormery.
  • Lillibet_2
    Lillibet_2 Posts: 3,364 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Sorry to revise this thread again but does anyone know of a hassel free way to recycle old hard drives in any shape or form? We are about to get rid of our 2nd in 6 months & after loads of researching last time we ended up taking it to the local dump (whic isn't that local at 13 miles away) as we couldn't find anyone who wanted it, even schools & the local computer re-furb shop refused it!

Cheers
    Post Natal Depression is the worst part of giving birth:p

In England we have Mothering Sunday & Father Christmas, Mothers day & Santa Clause are American merchandising tricks:mad: Demonstrate pride in your heirtage by getting it right please people!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure