Setanta Sports battles for survival: how to protect your payments

1246710

Comments

  • VVV_2
    VVV_2 Forumite Posts: 22 Forumite
    Kavanne wrote: »
    That doesn't work with a Continuous Payment Authority. They are dangerous because setanta can keep claiming the money, even if you cancel your card or close your account!!

    Would I be better to change my payment method with them to a direct debit or is there a fee to set this up?
  • macman
    macman Forumite Posts: 52,869
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    Forumite
    VVV wrote: »
    Would I be better to change my payment method with them to a direct debit or is there a fee to set this up?

    Yes, but it's probably too late to do anything now.
    There is no fee to set up a direct debit.
    No free lunch, and no free laptop ;)
  • nelster
    nelster Forumite Posts: 406 Forumite
    Just to let you all know that I successfully changed 2 accounts I have with them.

    Both done by Credit Card, 1 was an annual sub coming off 17th July, 1 was a monthly sub.

    Phoned 01915013482 got through straightaway.

    Now setup as Direct Debit Monthly on both accounts.

    Then once the DD's are visible with my bank I'll just phone up and get them down to £3.33 pm as others appear to have done.
  • exeterben
    exeterben Forumite Posts: 54 Forumite
    Anything happened yet. Has the plug been pulled or have they been saved? Will be interesting to see what happens.
  • wallace53
    wallace53 Forumite Posts: 9 Forumite
    I, for one, will take them for fraud, if they continue taking money, without providing a service.
  • macman
    macman Forumite Posts: 52,869
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    Forumite
    wallace53 wrote: »
    I, for one, will take them for fraud, if they continue taking money, without providing a service.

    A bit pointless trying to sue a company in administration (if it goes that way).
    No free lunch, and no free laptop ;)
  • hadfield_2
    hadfield_2 Forumite Posts: 18 Forumite
    Hi On the advice from this site I have just rang Setanta on 0845 003322, got thru quite quickly and within 5 minutes cancelled my credit card payment and set up a direct debit. In the present Setanta collapse I also advise anyone on credit card payment to get out of it , they can keeping talking your money and you will get nothing for it.
    Good luck .
  • nancy711
    nancy711 Forumite Posts: 36 Forumite
    I would get out now - they need a buyer but i can't seen anyone coming forward - not when we're still in an economic hole. In saying that, the American network ESPN might fancy a slice of the UK market.
    Mmmm, doughnuts
  • norbet
    norbet Forumite Posts: 134 Forumite
    macman wrote: »
    A bit pointless trying to sue a company in administration (if it goes that way).
    Criminal charges perhaps?
  • norbet
    norbet Forumite Posts: 134 Forumite
    hadfield wrote: »
    Hi On the advice from this site I have just rang Setanta on 0845 003322, got thru quite quickly and within 5 minutes cancelled my credit card payment and set up a direct debit. In the present Setanta collapse I also advise anyone on credit card payment to get out of it , they can keeping talking your money and you will get nothing for it.
    Good luck .
    Chargebacks? Could I not just call my bank and say (assuming funds are taken after they no longer provide a service) it;s an unauthorised payment (as it would be?)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 339K Banking & Borrowing
  • 248.7K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 447.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 230.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 601.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 171.1K Life & Family
  • 244.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback
  • 15.1K Coronavirus Support Boards