Debate House Prices

In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non MoneySaving matters are no longer permitted. This includes wider debates about general house prices, the economy and politics. As a result, we have taken the decision to keep this board permanently closed, but it remains viewable for users who may find some useful information in it. Thank you for your understanding.

IMPORTANT WARNING! The future of this board.

Options

Comments

• ruggedtoast
    ruggedtoast Posts: 9,819 Forumite
    Options
    I do hope this board gets back to its old self as well. I do think that the banning of a half dozen certain user accounts would probably go 80% of the way to solving the problem though.
  • Pobby
    Pobby Posts: 5,438 Forumite
    Options
    Perhaps there could be some way to get this " sock puppet " rubbish out of the way. Imho, this screws the forum up more than anything.
  • staffie1
    staffie1 Posts: 1,966 Forumite
    First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    You're missing the point that there is no moderation on any of the boards

Are you saying that there are no moderators on the boards? I thought there were.
    if they are moved to the Arms/DT as if they are too offensive for this board then they are too offensive for MSE altogether.

Agreed - (Martin is the owner and publisher of the site - which contains all the forums and discussion within it, not just this particular board we're on now). That is my point.
    If you will the end, you must will the means.
  • tomterm8
    tomterm8 Posts: 5,892 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I do hope this board gets back to its old self as well. I do think that the banning of a half dozen certain user accounts would probably go 80% of the way to solving the problem though.

My experience as a moderator on another forum is that PPR does little or no good. It doesn't take a genius to work out how to get around banning. In my experience, some very thick people manage to do it.
    “The ideas of debtor and creditor as to what constitutes a good time never coincide.”
    ― P.G. Wodehouse, Love Among the Chickens
  • ruggedtoast
    ruggedtoast Posts: 9,819 Forumite
    Options
    tomterm8 wrote: »
    My experience as a moderator on another forum is that PPR does little or no good. It doesn't take a genius to work out how to get around banning. In my experience, some very thick people manage to do it.

Yes but if the garbage they post keeps getting deleted and their threads locked, as well as having to sign on again and again, they eventually get the message and give up.

We're not talking about a lot of people here. It really is a half dozen idiots who have nothing better to do than try and wind people up on here.
  • michaels
    michaels Posts: 28,029 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I think it is extremely difficult :

There are views I find abhorrent but I am even more uncomfortable about proscribing certain views as unacceptable.

There are discussions that are only tangentially related to the economy but a lot of issues like politics do impact on the economy - look at the impact of Labour's turmoil on the exchange rate

There are posters who create new identities to post their viewpoints and there are others who worry more about exposing such duplicate account holders than about civility and the discussion

Are there any answers beyond the nuclear option of closing the board?

My only thought at this stage is 'don't feed the trolls' - be they racists or just wind up merchants, those who want the board to continue, myself included need to take a deep breath and realise that if a poster or posters are repeatedly posting comments that wind us up then it is almost certainly trolling and just ignore the trolls comments hopefully without having to abandon threads but accepting that some relevant threads will need to be reported.

MisKool, I don't know how to advise you - I like others value your input but I can see why those who you have needed to moderate may feel that it is 'unfair' that you can both move/delete posts and take part in the debate. My preferred course would be for you to carry on posting and for those in this position to recognise this is just an online discussion and you are only doing what you think best and putting considerable effort in to doing so for no reward.
    I think....
  • StevieJ
    StevieJ Posts: 20,174 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    tomterm8 wrote: »

If you ask for a primary email address e.g. O2 or BT instead of Yahoo or Hotmail, would that not sort it?
    'Just think for a moment what a prospect that is. A single market without barriers visible or invisible giving you direct and unhindered access to the purchasing power of over 300 million of the worlds wealthiest and most prosperous people' Margaret Thatcher
  • ess0two
    ess0two Posts: 3,606 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    StevieJ wrote: »
    If you ask for a primary email address e.g. O2 or BT instead of Yahoo or Hotmail, would that not sort it?

Yeah, ban free email addys should narrow it down.
    Official MR B fan club,dont go............................
  • lostinrates
    lostinrates Posts: 55,283 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    StevieJ wrote: »

Ooops, I'll be off. I only have hotmail.
  • ess0two
    ess0two Posts: 3,606 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Ooops, I'll be off. I only have hotmail.

You must access the web via a provider,virgin,tiscali,bt,orange the list is endless.
    Official MR B fan club,dont go............................
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure