»

IMPORTANT WARNING! The future of this board.

New Post Advanced Search

Debate House Prices

We’re struggling at the moment with the huge volumes of messages we’re getting from Forumites about coronavirus and the impact it’s having on their finances. We’re a small team and we’re doing our best to manage this spike in demand. As a result, we’ve reluctantly decided to temporarily close the Debate House Prices & the Economy Board so that we can redirect our limited resources to those who need us most at this time.

Please do not post content intended for this board elsewhere in the forum – we appreciate your help and understanding during this exceptionally difficult time. It goes without saying, we hope to get back to full business as soon as possible!

Coronavirus: The latest from MSE

The MSE team is working extremely hard to keep the info we have about your travel rights, cancellation rights, sick pay (and more) up to date.
The official MSE guides: NEW MSE Coronavirus Guides

NEWSFLASH 31/3
RESCUE FLIGHTS FOR STRANDED BRITS * SCHOOL MEALS VOUCHERS * BRIGHTHOUSE COLLAPSES

IMPORTANT WARNING! The future of this board.

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Debate House Prices & the Economy
147 replies 13.1K views
MSE_MartinMSE_Martin Money Saving ExpertMoneySaving Expert
8.3K posts
✭✭✭✭
edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Debate House Prices & the Economy
Hi Folks,

This is a particularly unpleasant message to write.

As many of you know we set up the Debate House Prices, the Economy & Recession board recently to allow discussion without affecting the original practical focus of House Buying, Renting and Selling board.

More recently, the tone of the board has taken on an unwelcome turn from some quarters and my team are now having to deal with posts and threads which at best stand on the borderline of bad taste, and at worst stray headlong into issues of racism, immigration and xenophobia.

Clearly as the site owner I cannot and will not allow this to continue; it is putting a huge strain on our forum team resources. And as this is adiscussion board, not a core MoneySaving board, I don’t choose to prioritise the resources here.

So I hope you’ll understand when I say it’s important to be clear, this is NOT a free speech forum, if you want that you need to go elsewhere. We’re a Money Saving site, that is our priority and we cannot tolerate abuse of this site’s hospitality.

This board was set up on the request of users and I want to allow it to continue, but to do what it’s supposed to do, which is intelligent, considered views of the economic climate, house prices, and similar. It is not a political board and the deliberate stretching and changing of remits again and again isn’t helpful or pleasant.

It isn’t my aim or intention to take this drastic action. Yet please remember this is NOT a public site, it is a privately owned site of which I am the legal publisher. We spent a great deal of time and money for lawyers, on defending consumer rights on things said in the forum and I am very proud of that.

Yet, and not just because I find many such views personally abhorrent, I am simply unwilling to be the publisher or take responsibility for these contentious discussions which are NOT about MoneySaving.

As such, I feel it’s important to give fair warning of the outcome if things don’t improve.

1. The board has already been closed so only those logged in can see it
2. If it doesn’t improve the board will be moved away from the MoneySaving boards into the Arms. If that doesn’t help, it will be closed.
3. Individual posters who continue to push towards debates against this policy will have their privileges to post removed.
4. If the reaction is to take these discussions elsewhere on the site to circumnavigate, then we will instantly delete the threads and remove posting privileges.

Please be aware when we put this into place we will be acting to the spirit not the letter of these rules, so any “getarounds” such as dressing up discussions as MoneySaving, will be ignored.

I want this board to flourish as a please for enlightened, interesting, informed debate about the state of the economy and hopefully that’s what it will return to.

Kind regards

Martin
Martin Lewis, Money Saving Expert.
Please note, answers don't constitute financial advice, it is based on generalised journalistic research. Always ensure any decision is made with regards to your own individual circumstance.
Don't miss out on urgent MoneySaving, get my weekly e-mail at www.moneysavingexpert.com/tips.
Debt-Free Wannabee Official Nerd Club: (Honorary) Members number 000

Replies

• edited 8 June 2009 at 8:03PM
    lostinrateslostinrates Forumite
    55.3K posts
    I've been Money Tipped!
    edited 8 June 2009 at 8:03PM
    Thing is, I have reported things and they are not removed. :( or not for a long time. I know from discussion with others several of us report the same person and it seems no action is taken (and when it is not for a long time).

I think its fair to say the board has gone very severely down hill, and you have been quite patient.

misskool joining in helped. Maybe if she were supported by more active/interested board guides it might help too, so swifter action can be taken?
    I want this board to flourish as a please for enlightened, interesting, informed debate about the state of the economy and hopefully that’s what it will return to.

I would have defended this little community wholehertedly for just those reasons until recently.
  • MSE_MartinMSE_Martin Money Saving Expert MoneySaving Expert
    8.3K posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    I have been away for a little bit, this issue has been waiting for me to make some decisions on. As you can see i am taking it seriously.

Martin
    Please note, answers don't constitute financial advice, it is based on generalised journalistic research. Always ensure any decision is made with regards to your own individual circumstance.
    Don't miss out on urgent MoneySaving, get my weekly e-mail at www.moneysavingexpert.com/tips.
  • StevieJStevieJ Forumite
    20.2K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭✭

What does this mean? I can see it when I am not logged in.
    Government: "Should we get a pet?" 52%: "Yes" Government: "OK, we'll get a cat" 1/2 of 52%: "Oh no, I hate cats. I wanted a dog."
  • MSE_MartinMSE_Martin Money Saving Expert MoneySaving Expert
    8.3K posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    StevieJ wrote: »

What does this mean? I can see it when I am not logged in.

It means I realise i forgot to send the team the email to do this and it'll happen tomorrow :)
  • lostinrateslostinrates Forumite
    55.3K posts
    I've been Money Tipped!
    MSE_Martin wrote: »
    It means I realise i forgot to send the team the email to do this and it'll happen tomorrow :)

Thats like hppens with Discussion Time? I think thts the right move.

I asked this last time, but I think a clearer outline of what is and is not acceptable would be useful. :)

For example: a lot of us found the BNP threads distatseful and offensive, but its even harder to argue them as offensive today than it was yesterday :( whereas immigration is relevant to the economy...and not racist....is immigration in relation to the economy as opposed to politically, for example disallowed?

Clarifications like this I think would help. :)
  • iwanttosave_2iwanttosave_2 Forumite
    34.3K posts
    Martin, go finish your Honeymoon, I'll deal with this lot. I have enough kitten pictures to drive the lot of the oddbods away.
    Work like you don't need money,
    Love like you've never been hurt,
    And dance like no one's watching
    Save the cheerleader, save the world!
  • ShelleyC_2ShelleyC_2 Forumite
    1.5K posts
    I think its fair to say the board has gone very severely down hill, and you have been quite patient.

misskool joining in helped. Maybe if she were supported by more active/interested board guides it might help too, so swifter action can be taken?

I agree with LIR.

Yes the bulls and bears bicker but its mainly healthy debate and has to be expected in any discussion on the economy.

I think more active board guides would help as Misskool seems to be the only one regularly around.

I hope the minority doesn't ruin what was one of the best boards on this site :rolleyes:
    Looking for the perfect home and saving to make becoming a MFW easier
    MFiT3 48103/50000 Saved So Far :j
  • edited 8 June 2009 at 9:01PM
    fc123fc123 Forumite
    6.6K posts
    edited 8 June 2009 at 9:01PM
    Not being that knowledgable on how forums/boards evolve, I have to say the tone of the board changed since the crunch really kicked in last Autumn sometime...........................................................
    ...............................perhaps your higher profile on telly/in newspapers directed more traffic to the site as a whole and people joined in on whatever boards they found relevant to their own situation?

This board had a fairly heavy tone to it when I first discovered it in August 2007 but it delivered to me, personally, almost life changing knowledge...particularly from a few posters, some who were 'chased' away by newer posters during the past 7 months.

It has changed and the politics (to me) seem to have changed the style and point of the board, however, the crunch is in full swing now so perhaps all the threads 2 years back that debated and predicted the end of HPI, lax lending and the conseqeunces etc are no longer relevant as the effects are now being felt through all layers of society now anyway?

Without wanting to be up my wotsit, I quote something earlier that I wrote and I would like to take the opportunity to thank you (ML)for facilititaing such a service...it has been an absolute lifesaver for me.

I will be posting more on the BR board in the future concerning shop leases and small business, despite not being BR (depends on LL and fully liable shop lease situation) as there is a real lack of anecdotal info out there that is impartial.

I have to post something a bit more melancholy.

I fess up....I was a bit of a derr with macro economics 20 months ago.

12 months back, I read a dozen books prompted by stuff I had read on this board. Fred Harrison and 'The gods that failed' made a real impact on my knowledge and understanding of all things bigger than my own micro economic world.

Then I understood that I had actually always known the theories as I had lived through them in some way or another over the past 2 and half decades anyway.

Then I got a bit depressed about it all as, I had always strongly believed in The Power Of One, up to a point...that with strength, hard work, application and other very worthy atributes, one could win against the odds every time.

Bit of an LBM 7 months ago....errr...no you can't sometimes. Some things are bigger than the individual effort against them...so don't waste energy fighting against them.....pop it into something else instead.

And I took my own advice and we have changed our life.

It's fan-diddly-tastic too.
  • Heyman_2Heyman_2 Forumite
    1.8K posts
    Martin,

I think you've been more than patient with what goes on here and I'm glad you've taken a view of it and made your feelings known. I like posting here and reading the insight and wouldn't want to see the place get too restricted but at the same time it's gotten really pretty awful recently.

So I think what you've said is the right way to go, but in any case it's your site so it's just my 2 pence. ;)
  • ThinkingOfLinkingThinkingOfLinking Forumite
    11.8K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    How depressing...in such difficult times people seem to be turning on others rather than trying to help...and people with vested interests are taking advantage of peoples' new-found vulnerability and confusion. I feel that's why the BNP have done so well in the North West where the dole queues are growing by the minute. I live here and have had 4 leaflets through my door from them in the last 2 weeks to the point where I seriously considered pinning a notice telling them where to stick their leaflets in future to my door. I digress.

It's so pathetic a minority have to cause so much hassle for the majority and direct resources away from more important, interesting and deserving areas. How sad is it that "adults" are behaving like children and have to be told off and punished. Not a dig at the MSE team; I fully support them.

Thank god for the nice people I've come to know on these forums as it further negates the morons and makes them look more foolish. Sadly, I don't feel so optimistic that people will adhere to the rules; or rather those intent on causing problems. I'd love to be proven wrong on this.
This discussion has been closed.

Quick links

Essential Money | Who & Where are you? | Work & Benefits | Household and travel | Shopping & Freebies | About MSE | The MoneySavers Arms | Covid-19 & Coronavirus Support