Competition Scams - Please Post Them Here

Options

Comments

• Cadi
    Cadi Posts: 489 Forumite
    Options
    I've received a lovely letter from DMC International Courier Service (posted from Taiwan). Apparently I've won a Smart Car (or other prize enumerated within). All I have to do is send a £30 release fee to Canada.

What's with Canada and these scams?

And I had another letter saying I had won either £20 grand or possibly a digital camera, and all I had to do was phone the 0901 number.

Well isn't it my lucky day! :rolleyes:
  • eldoxy24
    Options
    Can anyone help me I have received this email but I am not sure if it is real or not....

IMPORTANT MESSAGE FROM THE UNITED NATIONS (This is about YOU)

Treat as: Very Urgent

After a brief meeting held by the Board of Directors of Grand de
    Clarke Investment Finance Plc London and the Minister of Finance
    including the representatives of the United Nations, the African Union
    and the World Bank here in London, England, to see to the release of
    long term debt owed to many foreigners around the Globe who have been
    denied of their payments, Grand de Clarke Investment Finance Plc has
    been authorized to handle the urgent release of all funds owed by any
    of the Finacial Institutions or Country that is a member of the United
    Nations, the release of your fund would be handled by Grand de Clarke
    Investment Finance Plc here in London to ensure immediate payment in
    your favour and avoid delay.

From the records of outstanding Inheritances, Contracts and Lottery
    claims due for payment submited by the United Nations, your Email
    Address came up as one of the Unpaid Individuals. I wish to inform you
    that your payment is being processed and will be released to you as
    soon as you respond to this letter, irrespective of the amount you are
    been owed by any of the methods mentioned above. To start processing
    your claims, please, respond to this email with your FULL details to
    Mr FAROOQ HANKS at farooq_habibb@msn.com

Thanks for your co-operation and understanding.

Yours Sincerely,
    Mr. Gareth Horsfield
    United Nations
    Office of the legal affairs
  • mpython
    mpython Posts: 3,677 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Hi eldoxy,

Its a scam, once you reply they'll want your bank details to withdraw from, or ask you to make a 'processing' fee payment to them. Either way you'll be out of pocket.

A big cluse is: do you really think the United Nations would use a msn email address?
    From MSE Martin - Some General Tips On Holiday Home Organisations and Sales Meetings

DO NOT TOUCH ANY OF THEM WITH A BARGEPOLE!
  • fitzmd
    Options
    they post you a very official looking set of documents and say your cheque is waiting. they ask you to send 24.95 to cover postage and processing charges - probably followed by more later. they also say that if you do not reply within 7 days they will send the money to the next name on the list.

looks like a pyramid-type thing to me.

company name and address is

direct deposit awards
    2255b queen street
    east suite 2010
    toronto
    ON M4E 1GE
    canada

god only knows where they got my name and address from since i am on mailing preference.

watch out for these guys

mark
  • azurepurple
    Options
    Further to my past comments on this forum where I won £100 on the GETMEATICKET site. Despite winning on this site originally by playing their pacman game and recommending them I now warn people not to use it. (I should have also won three times since and have received nothing at all, despite the T & C saying you can enter ech month.) That isn't the problem. I believe this site is responsible for passing my phone number on to many other `dodgy' affiliates of theirs in my opinion. Since playing the game on getmeaticket I have "won" several holidays abroad (on checking all timeshare companies) I have had to get a BT ban on one company ringing my home - timeshare again who became very aggressive when I refused to attend an appointment they set up despite me stating I would not go and wasn't interested. The nice man shouted he would make me an appointment whether I intended to go or not and asked me if I needed my head looking at not accepting a free holiday!! When I wouldn't give him my address and mobile details he stated he would find them himself anyway! They continued ringing until I blocked them with BT. There have been many phonecalls stating I have won a brand new kitchen and a few asking me to call a premium number back, which I didn't! I have today been contacted by a company supposedly called Homestyle, supposedly part of G-Plan? Again I have won vouchers for a new kitchen, bathroom or bedroom. They wanted my mobile number and said someone who will be in my area this weekend will come out to discuss how I could spend my vouchers! This company has been reported to Trading Standards I have discovered. I usually avoid affiliate websites and never give out my details, however on this occasion I was obviously a bit gormless! Just wanted to warn others.
  • davieb71
    Options
    After reading through the above 'scams' i would like to ask if anyone has had any dealings with 'winning' on the italian loto and also microsoft???
    My brother is all excited about 'winning' 1.5 million Euros yet they are asking for a courier fee of £460??!!! My brother needs a helping hand, shall we say, but i beleive this to be a scam. He then calls me again 5 minutes ago to say that he's also won a prize with Microsoft?
    He received emails with the info and has rang, stupidly, 00447045750983 and another similar number 0044702??? to get things confirmed and now he's beleiveing he has won.
    If he has then im really happy for him as he could do with it yet i am very sceptic about it.
    Are there any MSE's out there who can give me a little insight and also where i could get some information and help from before he starts throwing courier money around that he has'nt got.
    Thank you in advance.
  • debsy42
    debsy42 Posts: 1,737 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Please please don't let your brother part with any money, it's got scam written all over it :( 070 numbers are "personal" numbers that are quite expensive to ring and would not be used by any legitimate businesses and they wouldn't be asking winners to pay for any courier feees either. A friend of mine nearly got stung by someone she got talking to online who wanted money to "help with medical fees", turned out he was talking to ladies online from wherever he was in Nigeria and had scammed a few people. Avoid at all costs.

I should imagine that the Italian lottery is much like ours and you have to buy a ticket to be in with a chance to win, not by having your email/home address picked :eek:

Have a read of this
    ITV Winners Club #87 :eek:
  • thatgirlsam
    thatgirlsam Posts: 10,451 Forumite
    Options
    many years ago i worked for a timeshare company... (dont shoot me i was a skint student) and they are not allowed, by law, to actually tell anybody they have 'won' a holiday (because they offer the deal to everyone) but only that they have been 'awarded' a prize/holiday. so if any one gets 'awarded' something i would say dont bother with it!
    £608.98
    £80
    £1288.99
    £85.90
    £154.98
  • ICEHOCKEY44_2
    Options
    I have just received this email claimin gthat I have won a BMW!! (very ice if its true!)

What do you think? Has anyone had dealings with this company before?

Here tis:

BMW AUTOMOBILE COMPANY.
    62 Winslow Road,London,
    Middlesex,W6 9SF,United Kingdom.

The BMW Automobile Company, wishes to congratulate you on your success as one of our Ten (10) Star Prize Winner in this
    years 2007 BMW AUTOMOBILE PROMOTIONS held September 2007, This makes you the proud owner of £ 500,000.00 and brand new
    BMW 530 iM Sport Saloon Car with Registration Y*56T**.

To claim your prize Contact the Financial Claims Manager office with the underlisted informations as soon as possible:
    Full Name, Address, Country, Age, Sex, Occupation, Phone, Fax. and your Lucky Ticket number: 5647600545188 and serial
    number: BMWP / 55*54*45*90*.

MR.Fredrick Wilson.
    Fiduciary Claims Department (FCD),
    Email:bmwgroup.financialclaimsmanager@gmail.com

Engr Kevin Bridges
    Director of Promotions.
    Copyright © 2007 BMW Automobile Company.

If you notice they even give me the Registration number!!

Cheers for all of your help

Donna
  • debsy42
    debsy42 Posts: 1,737 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    SCAM SCAM SCAM SCAM

Why would any company informing you of a win want to know your Occupation, Fax (who has one of them :eek: ) have a " Fiduciary Claims Department" and finally use a GMAIL account.

Delete the email and enter a proper competition to win a car ;)
    ITV Winners Club #87 :eek:
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure