DMP Mutual Support Thread (Part 6)

Options

Comments

• the_tooth_fairy
    Options
    I'd be wary of credit repair claims- although I believe there is one company where you can order a card, and pay a monthly fee which they treat as a loan. Provided you pay this over the course of a year, they show that as a positive on your credit file and I am pretty sure this is one method Martin Lewis endorses. Otherwise, defaults come off after 6 yrs, and you can control your credit report by checking and making sure the lenders do just that. Apart from a mortgage though why would you ever want credit again? I don't!! I'd rather save for things now its much cheaper

Thanks for that info. No, I never want credit again!! However it may be in years to come we might need to improve or renovate our home and at least we never missed a mortgage payment. Hopefully the company will look on us favourably in about ten years time!
    Also, I would like to have a card with a very small limit, as if you are away from home with work, even though the hotels are paid for up front by my firm, nearly all hotels ask for a card imprint.:o

But "emergencies only" is the order of the day!

Thanks again,

ttf
    :j:hello::hello::jDMP mutual support thread member 348
  • the_tooth_fairy
    Options
    Twit_Head wrote: »
    'Cheerful thought about being on a DMP' No. 53:)
    Bright idea :idea: What if someone set up a DMP house swap system? Then everyone on this thread could get to stay in a different part of the country for nowt and not part with owt especially t'brass (this is a Yorkshire expression translated as not having to spend any money)
    Sure we would all benefit from the change of scenery.
    Just a pity we couldn't afford the transport costs :( and would have to eat :spam: for a week.
    And I was so looking forward to rummaging through ianmak's drawers.........;)

'Twitty'

Hey, Twitty, didn't people eat Spam fritters during the War? It didn't do them any harm. As for Ians' drawers tho...:rotfl:

ttfx
    :j:hello::hello::jDMP mutual support thread member 348
  • Twit_Head
    Twit_Head Posts: 706 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hey, Twitty, didn't people eat Spam fritters during the War? It didn't do them any harm. As for Ians' drawers tho...

ttfx

Hell woman just how old do you think I am? I know I'm not in the first flush of youth but my great,great,great,great grandmother told me about spam fritters ;) (And is anyone else here ancient enough to remember that infamous Monty Python ditty?)
    And as for Ian's drawers who knows what delights might lurk within? He seems to be keeping very silent on the subject..........:D
    (By the way what sort of remark was that he made about 'watch out for Twitty and the TF'-defamation of characters I reckon and we are due HUGE amounts of compensation from him:rotfl:)

'Twitty'
  • Twit_Head
    Options
    thestealer wrote: »

As for unexepected bills, particularly white goods, freecycle groups and gumtree are a veritable treasure trove.

Since I began my DMP, my washing machine died and the tumble dryer packed up (not such a big deal now some warmer weather is upon us admittedly). I got a washing machine on freecycle which is fine if a little noisy, and the tight budget has driven me to learn a bit more about various appliances, I took the cover off the dryer, realised very quickly that it is was a water pump that had gone. I took a note of the part number, got one off the internet for £20 and replaced the old one...good as new. Now I'm no handyman so if I can do it, anyone can!

Apart from being cheap there is a huge amount of satisfaction in fixing something yourself, give it a go, you don't have much to lose if the item is knacked anyway.

WOW-greatly impressed by your skills! I always think it's amazing what can be fixed with Bostick or Duck tape and a bit of tinkering:)
    Great advice re:Freecycle. I also find the notice board at local supermarkets or classified ads and some charity shops are rich hunting grounds. And of course on-line. Comet have an 'outlet' site where you can get electrics goods at reduced prices - usually due to some slight cosmetic damage.Had a freezer that went on for years; bought for very reduced price because of slight scratch to cabinet.

'Twitty'
  • ianmak
    ianmak Posts: 1,125 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    Twit_Head wrote: »
    Hell woman just how old do you think I am? I know I'm not in the first flush of youth but my great,great,great,great grandmother told me about spam fritters ;) (And is anyone else here ancient enough to remember that infamous Monty Python ditty?)
    And as for Ian's drawers who knows what delights might lurk within? He seems to be keeping very silent on the subject..........:D
    (By the way what sort of remark was that he made about 'watch out for Twitty and the TF'-defamation of characters I reckon and we are due HUGE amounts of compensation from him:rotfl:)

'Twitty'

I was merely pointing out that your wise heads are full of 'useful' information and experiences... :rotfl:

So, what was it like during the war Twitty? :)
    DMP mutual support thread No: 243
  • amlal
    amlal Posts: 3 Newbie
    Options
    After 20 months of sculking in the background I really need to come forward and ask for help!

We are currently on a DMP with CCCS and all has been going fine apart from the agreement with the lovely Llyods TSB who continued to add intrest to the account but at a reduced rate. Recently during a review with CCCS it was decided that we had stretched ourselves within our budget and the payments were reduced slightly. All creditors agreed to this apart from Llyods who insisted the payments were increased yet at the same time they stopped charging interest!!??

Last week we received a letter from them stating they would be issueing a default on our account unless they recieve £551 by the 14th June at which point they will be beginning legal proceedings. We have had defaults from other companies but for some reason the fact that after 18 months Llyods are doing it is really starting to worry me. I read on other threads how awful they are and even how they are not happy with a CCJ and go straight for a charging order, is this possible??

If anyone could please offer some advice I would really appreciate it and perhaps be able to sleep again!!!

While I've finally found the courage to post on the forum can I just say thank to everyone who has inspired me to finally address the disaster I call my personal finances!!!!
  • Twit_Head
    Options
    ianmak wrote: »
    I was merely pointing out that your wise heads are full of 'useful' information and experiences... :rotfl:

So, what was it like during the war Twitty? :)

You looking for a punch up the snout mate??? ;)
    God Bless all who serve and still give their lives and suffer horrendous injuries in the service of the country but I was just a 'twinkle' when spam fritters were the dish of the day.
    By the by did you know the population was really well nourished during the WW2? No excess fats, sugars etc -just good basic food. A moral for all on a low budget?

'Twitty'
  • Twit_Head
    Options
    amlal wrote: »
    After 20 months of sculking in the background I really need to come forward and ask for help!

We are currently on a DMP with CCCS and all has been going fine apart from the agreement with the lovely Llyods TSB who continued to add intrest to the account but at a reduced rate. Recently during a review with CCCS it was decided that we had stretched ourselves within our budget and the payments were reduced slightly. All creditors agreed to this apart from Llyods who insisted the payments were increased yet at the same time they stopped charging interest!!??

Last week we received a letter from them stating they would be issueing a default on our account unless they recieve £551 by the 14th June at which point they will be beginning legal proceedings. We have had defaults from other companies but for some reason the fact that after 18 months Llyods are doing it is really starting to worry me. I read on other threads how awful they are and even how they are not happy with a CCJ and go straight for a charging order, is this possible??

If anyone could please offer some advice I would really appreciate it and perhaps be able to sleep again!!!

While I've finally found the courage to post on the forum can I just say thank to everyone who has inspired me to finally address the disaster I call my personal finances!!!!

Hey please don't panic yet! The big boys always try scare tactics first. Take a deep breath, sit calmly and re-read your letter. Are they trying the 'can' and 'maybe' tactics in the letter to put the frighteners on you? Stopping interest is good!
    Stick to your guns, keep paying what you can afford. If they do try to take you to court post here again for advice. Someone will be able to help/support you.

'Twitty'
  • thestealer
    thestealer Posts: 72 Forumite
    Options
    Spot on advice from twitty there...a cool and calm head is always better than and anxious and fretting one.

In addition I would also say that having a charging order on your house is not really a big deal provided you don't plan on moving for the duration of your DMP. It just means that IF you sold the house Lloyds would get first bagsies on the profits.
  • Triggles
    Triggles Posts: 2,281 Forumite
    Options
    I'm starting to feel like a non-entity on main DFW board. Posted a question, 29 people read it, not one person answered it...

Has anyone here gone around with 1st credit?? They've sent me 3 letters in the last couple days - two last week on same day saying they have our Santander debt now and demanding payment, then one Monday saying we haven't responded and they will be contacting a debt collector to come to the house. We only got the first two letters at the end of the week last week! The one saying we haven't responded was dated before we even received the first two telling us they now have the debt!!! And Santander hasn't notified us that they even sold the debt to a DCA. So I'm thoroughly confused. We've been paying Santander, and they've been sending their letters to us as well (demanding more than what we're paying)... they can't BOTH have the debt... wouldn't Santander have to tell us they've sold the debt and to who and what the balance was at that time?
    MSE mum of DS(7), and DS(4) (and 2 adult DCs as well!)
    DFW Long haul supporters No 210
    :snow_grin Christmas 2013 is coming soon!!! :xmastree:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family