DMP Mutual Support Thread (Part 6)

Options

Comments

• Clare_B_4
    Clare_B_4 Posts: 41 Forumite
    Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    Hello all, I'm new here :wave:

I've had a DMP through CCCS for about 3 and a half years now. I did struggle with some of my creditors at first for a while - particularly HSBC :mad: who eventually sent my debt to a debt recovery company, which actually resolved the endless calls and letters I was getting from them and made it a lot easier!

I've now paid off around £10,000 of my £28k debt, which feels really good! Unfortunately a couple of my creditors are still adding interest but hopefully I should be debt free in 3 years. It is still a struggle to make ends meet each month, but CCCS have always been brilliant and the DMP makes it much easier to pay my debts without worrying about whether I can meet each monthly payment.

So that's my story in a nutshell!
  • Twit_Head
    Twit_Head Posts: 706 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Clare_B wrote: »
    Hello all, I'm new here :wave:

I've had a DMP through CCCS for about 3 and a half years now. I did struggle with some of my creditors at first for a while - particularly HSBC :mad: who eventually sent my debt to a debt recovery company, which actually resolved the endless calls and letters I was getting from them and made it a lot easier!

I've now paid off around £10,000 of my £28k debt, which feels really good! Unfortunately a couple of my creditors are still adding interest but hopefully I should be debt free in 3 years. It is still a struggle to make ends meet each month, but CCCS have always been brilliant and the DMP makes it much easier to pay my debts without worrying about whether I can meet each monthly payment.

So that's my story in a nutshell!

Well done you! :beer:
    HSBC seem to be one of the worst creditors to deal with (no dealings with them myself thankfully) so a DCA must have seemed like a great relief!
    Your message really seems to sum up life on a DMP - a struggle each month but better than all the worry and stress before.
    Keep going - the end is in sight for you :j

'Twitty'
  • cocker100
    cocker100 Posts: 518 Forumite
    Options
    Julie67 wrote: »
    Hi Guys,

I am back for more advice and hoping you lovely people can help:D

Our self administered DMP is due to start on 26th June. I sent off the letters, SOA's and token payments on 2nd May. I have only had one letter back from HSBC CC saying the offer is not enough and they want double plus are not prepared to stop or reduce the interest. I also have a OD and Loan with them. We have five creditors, HSBC being the biggest, we owe them around 18,500.

Today I rang them, don't know if this was wise or not but it was not much use. They can't offer any kind of management plan as we have only missed one payment on the loan:mad: I said we will be missing another one this month. He couldn't help at all other than to ask how much I was willing to pay today:mad: I stuck to my guns and exlained that we would be paying the amount budgeted for which is £98.80 in total for the three debts. The plan was to pay allocated amounts to these three debts using the advice from CCCS. However the guy on the phone said just pay the whole amount into the bank account. This would put us back into the overdraft limit.

Phew after all that my question is would you continue and pay 3 separate amounts to the CC/Loan and Overdraft or would you just pay it into the bank account. I am seriously confused:o

OOh forgot to ask can I have a number as well?

Hiya!

Well done for sticking to your guns!!!:T

When it comes to distributing your DMP payments, you need to send separate payment to each account. If you don't, the payments wont get sent to the correct departments and the cc and loan accounts wont get paid at all, yet the bank account will show as satisfactory. HSBA wont transfer them for you.

I think the bloke has been trying to mislead you. Personally, I would just ignore his advice.

Cocker:)
  • explorerhistory
    Options
    hi this thread seems very friendly so my first post is here!

sorry if its obvious but a few questions....

I have 30kish debts on credit cards 14k of which is on a staff loan through my work (yes a bank unfourtantley!) if i do start a dmp for the other debts (credit cards only) is this allowed? the loan is taken automatically from my salary and obviously i dont want to miss payments on that loan..

any general advice on dmps appreciated, currently i am only over limit with halifax who are an absolute nightmare ringing me ten fifteen times a day and ignoring my automated messages last month for example i sent £80 and still incurred over limit and late charges...
  • ianmak
    ianmak Posts: 1,125 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Debt-free and Proud!
    edited 1 June 2010 at 7:27PM
    Options
    hi this thread seems very friendly so my first post is here!

sorry if its obvious but a few questions....

I have 30kish debts on credit cards 14k of which is on a staff loan through my work (yes a bank unfourtantley!) if i do start a dmp for the other debts (credit cards only) is this allowed? the loan is taken automatically from my salary and obviously i dont want to miss payments on that loan..

any general advice on dmps appreciated, currently i am only over limit with halifax who are an absolute nightmare ringing me ten fifteen times a day and ignoring my automated messages last month for example i sent £80 and still incurred over limit and late charges...

Hiya and welcome.

Technically all unsecured debts will need to be included on the DMP, regardless of who they're with (Something to do with treating all creditors the same). The only difference possibly being family debts.

Someone please correctly if I'm wrong!

Regarding charges, they're normally a month late, so if for example you were over the limit on the 15th of April, they'll take the money for that around the beginning of June, which may explain why you're being charged despite your payment.

Also have you tried speaking to Halifax and explaining the situation? Normally that helps to hold the phonecalls off for a period until everything is setup.
    DMP mutual support thread No: 243
  • lauren123
    lauren123 Posts: 117 Forumite
    Options
    I have just started my DMP and cccs have just started ringing my creditors! Ive had a couple calls and texts from two of them asking me to call them. Should I call them or wait for a letter as have heared you're suppose to do everything through post, not phone. thanks X
  • ianmak
    Options
    lauren123 wrote: »
    I have just started my DMP and cccs have just started ringing my creditors! Ive had a couple calls and texts from two of them asking me to call them. Should I call them or wait for a letter as have heared you're suppose to do everything through post, not phone. thanks X

The only reason you shouldn't phone them is in case you say the wrong thing, lose your temper, or give them more money.

I've always spoken to them on the phone, and I've found that it's helped no end. It depends on how strong you are to be firm.

If you do ring them, explain you've started a DMP, give them a ref no if you have one, don't give them money if they ask for it, and leave it at that. Most of the time they're fine, sometimes they can be 'orrible !!!!!!s.
  • ianmak
    Options
    Two more numbers...

jupster 382
    Julie67 383
  • Julie67
    Julie67 Posts: 2,362 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Thanks for the number and the advice, I will send the payments separately. I think the HSBC are going to be a pain but they can't have what we haven't got.
    Started Self Managed DMP 10th May 2017.
    Working hard to get rid of our debt.
  • fluffyboots
    fluffyboots Posts: 36 Forumite
    Options
    Hi there

I'm about £34k in debt and literally have had nothing left as every month everything is taken up( because of course am always late with something so had to pay double etc etc) up to limit on all cards. terrible health problems- high bp and bowel illness as so stressed on top of v stressful job and a lot of family problems last year eg serious illness etc.

I got in this mess by being stupid, overgenerous( must be owed about £7k but will never see it) so I am so glad in a way I have had to rip the cards up. My mortgage is up to date thank god but I need to get a grip.

Went to Payplan and they are doing my case now.. I feel better for it altho its gonna be tough..

Hang on in there we are all in same boat:)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure