DMP Mutual Support Thread (Part 6)

Options

Comments

• the_tooth_fairy
    Options
    I would also like to ask how do you repair all the damage to your credit rating when you finally pay it all back? (Nov 2014!!)

Do you let the default notices "run out" time wise, or are these credit expert sites worth any investment? Hey, I've got plenty of time to figure it all out!

Cheerful thought about being on a DMP No. 52, when all this is over and you can finally afford a holiday, you won't ever have to pay the 2% c/c charge again!!! Clutching at straws, I know, but you have to dream. I'm going to switch off Sky Travel now...

ttf
    :j:hello::hello::jDMP mutual support thread member 348
  • Twit_Head
    Twit_Head Posts: 706 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    edited 6 June 2010 at 3:11PM
    Options
    I would also like to ask how do you repair all the damage to your credit rating when you finally pay it all back? (Nov 2014!!)

Do you let the default notices "run out" time wise, or are these credit expert sites worth any investment? Hey, I've got plenty of time to figure it all out!

Cheerful thought about being on a DMP No. 52, when all this is over and you can finally afford a holiday, you won't ever have to pay the 2% c/c charge again!!! Clutching at straws, I know, but you have to dream. I'm going to switch off Sky Travel now...

ttf

'Cheerful thought about being on a DMP' No. 53:)
    Bright idea :idea: What if someone set up a DMP house swap system? Then everyone on this thread could get to stay in a different part of the country for nowt and not part with owt especially t'brass (this is a Yorkshire expression translated as not having to spend any money)
    Sure we would all benefit from the change of scenery.
    Just a pity we couldn't afford the transport costs :( and would have to eat :spam: for a week.
    And I was so looking forward to rummaging through ianmak's drawers.........;)

'Twitty'
  • Twit_Head
    Twit_Head Posts: 706 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Fraudulent only if you can't pay or spend up to the max on a card with no intention or means to pay it off..

No car equals no job.. which would you prefer? Bearing in mind I've already paid £1628.18p in cash along side this.

Shouldn't have to take out credit - no you shouldn't but you don't expect your entire gearbox to go bang, have your car in a garage for three weeks and have to pay for a rental car - we're talking about a £200 limit here.. it could have been worse, could have been a bloody pay day loan.

You've really been dragged through the mire recently haven't you? One of the worst things I find is the fear in knowing that you can't cope with the unexpected. It's bad enough when a tradesman/dentist/mechanic etc says 'It's only going to be about £50-00' They have no conception of what a huge amount of money that can be.
    So as to your costs - horrendous! Hope you get it all sorted, was just suprised you were accepted for credit. (Think I'd get the boot pretty quick if I tried)

'Twitty'
  • BEAT_THE_DEBT
    BEAT_THE_DEBT Posts: 2,219 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker PPI Party Pooper
    Options
    Hi i am sure the answer is on this forum somewher but so much on here. How do i set up a self dmp can i doit with only one or two creditors or does it have to be all?
    Do i phone or write?x
  • ianmak
    ianmak Posts: 1,125 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    Another newbie,welcome!

fluffyboots 384
    DMP mutual support thread No: 243
  • ianmak
    edited 6 June 2010 at 9:32PM
    Options
    Fraudulent only if you can't pay or spend up to the max on a card with no intention or means to pay it off..

No car equals no job.. which would you prefer? Bearing in mind I've already paid £1628.18p in cash along side this.

Shouldn't have to take out credit - no you shouldn't but you don't expect your entire gearbox to go bang, have your car in a garage for three weeks and have to pay for a rental car - we're talking about a £200 limit here.. it could have been worse, could have been a bloody pay day loan.

Do be careful though, and don't be surprised if your creditors find out and mutter... I was in no way having a go, just warning you.

I've ended up with a broken oven (which I can live without for now), and a missfunctioning fridge, which could be a problem... and no money to fix either.
  • sanctuary_seeker
    Options
    Hi ans thanks for my DMP number, I feel like a member of a private club now!

I just wanted to ask if you know whether when you sign up with CCCS or Payplan you have to provide copies of bank statements and payslips etc? I'm not trying to hide anything it would just make me feel a bit intruded on though.

I've written to the credit card companies and made them all a lesser payment this month and told them I was in discussion with a debt management company so at least I feel I'm takings steps in the right direction to take control of my debt and stop being bullied by the big credit card companies!

SS

Debt Thread number: 380
  • ianmak
    Options
    Hi ans thanks for my DMP number, I feel like a member of a private club now!

I just wanted to ask if you know whether when you sign up with CCCS or Payplan you have to provide copies of bank statements and payslips etc? I'm not trying to hide anything it would just make me feel a bit intruded on though.

I've written to the credit card companies and made them all a lesser payment this month and told them I was in discussion with a debt management company so at least I feel I'm takings steps in the right direction to take control of my debt and stop being bullied by the big credit card companies!

SS

Debt Thread number: 380

I forget about payslips and statements. I believe CCCS will ask for payslips, not sure on statements though.
  • cheesedoffwithdebt
    Options

ttf

I'd be wary of credit repair claims- although I believe there is one company where you can order a card, and pay a monthly fee which they treat as a loan. Provided you pay this over the course of a year, they show that as a positive on your credit file and I am pretty sure this is one method Martin Lewis endorses. Otherwise, defaults come off after 6 yrs, and you can control your credit report by checking and making sure the lenders do just that. Apart from a mortgage though why would you ever want credit again? I don't!! I'd rather save for things now its much cheaper
    now debt free and determined to maintain good spending habits and build savings
  • thestealer
    thestealer Posts: 72 Forumite
    Options
    ianmak wrote: »
    I forget about payslips and statements. I believe CCCS will ask for payslips, not sure on statements though.

CCCS do ask for payslips, or if you're self employed you need to send a sort of self certification letter to them to the effect of "I, the undersigned confirm I earn £xxx pounds per month via self-employment", or words to that effect.

As for unexepected bills, particularly white goods, freecycle groups and gumtree are a veritable treasure trove.

Since I began my DMP, my washing machine died and the tumble dryer packed up (not such a big deal now some warmer weather is upon us admittedly). I got a washing machine on freecycle which is fine if a little noisy, and the tight budget has driven me to learn a bit more about various appliances, I took the cover off the dryer, realised very quickly that it is was a water pump that had gone. I took a note of the part number, got one off the internet for £20 and replaced the old one...good as new. Now I'm no handyman so if I can do it, anyone can!

Apart from being cheap there is a huge amount of satisfaction in fixing something yourself, give it a go, you don't have much to lose if the item is knacked anyway.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure