PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Starters

Options

Comments

• KarensKraftyBits
    Options
    what about mushrooms in a cheese and garlic sauce with a slice of garlic chibatta bread?
  • lil_me
    lil_me Posts: 13,186 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Prawn cocktail or soup have to be the easiest starters
    One day I might be more organised...........:confused:
    GC: £200
    Slinkies target 2018 - another 70lb off (half way to what the NHS says) so far 25lb
  • Bogof_Babe
    Bogof_Babe Posts: 10,803 Forumite
    Options
    Say what you like, you can't beat a good old fashioned prawn cocktail. The big advantage is that it can be made in advance and kept in the fridge.
    :D I haven't bogged off yet, and I ain't no babe :D

• r.mac_2
    r.mac_2 Posts: 4,746 Forumite
    Options
    if you want a cold starter what about brushetta?

lightly toast a slice of ciabatta or french loaf, rub one side with a garlic clove, chop up some cherry tomatoes, mix with some EV olive oil and some chopped basil. Serve tomatoes on bread.

Or cut out a round of puff pastry, draw a smaller circle inside and Poke the pastry all over with a fork inside this circle. smear the inner circle with small amount of pesto and place thin slices of tomato ontop. Cook in oven for about 12 mins or so until outer rim of pastry is golden, crisp and puffed up.
    aless02 wrote: »
    r.mac, you are so wise and wonderful, that post was lovely and so insightful!
    I can't promise that all my replies will illicit this response :p
  • Bogof_Babe
    Options
    Snap Lil ;) .

Or maybe smoked salmon with crustless brown bread and a segment of lemon to squeeze over it. A couple of cherry tomatoes on the side, and maybe a sprig of parsley for garnish. Yummy.

• lil_me
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Oh no I can't do Salmon starters, it's not my fave anyway but I find it repeats on me through the next courses. Ewwww!
    Slinkies target 2018 - another 70lb off (half way to what the NHS says) so far 25lb
  • Bogof_Babe
    Options
    How about egg mayonnaise then? Hard boiled eggs, halved with the yolk scooped out, mixed with mayo and a bit of curry powder if liked, piled back into the whites and served on a bed of lettuce with a sprinkle of paprika on top. A couple of chives looks nice on this too.

• Jet
    Jet Posts: 1,624 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    I've just found a recipe for a starter with scooped out peppers filled with goats cheese, tomatoes, olives, basil and olive oil.

I remember making it once before and it was really nice, so rather than risk inflicting something new on my guests, I'm going to make that.

Thanks everyone for your replies.
  • jennyjelly
    jennyjelly Posts: 1,708 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    One I do regularly is this - it comes from the Times Cookery Book by Katie Stewart and takes all of 5 minutes to make.

Use a melon baller to make little balls out of a whole melon (or chop it into cubes about 1cm). Mix it with 4oz caster sugar, grated rind and juice of a large orange and juice of half a lemon, leave it to chill in the fridge for at least an hour.

It's really fresh and a great starter that doesn't fill you up too much.
    Oh dear, here we go again.
  • lil_me
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    http://www.sainsburys.co.uk/food/mealideas/cookingforfriends/stunning_starters/stunning_starters.htm just remembered those, I was having a nosey at it the other day, some nice quick ideas.

PS can I come for tea? Main course and desert would do as they sound fab :D Hope the meal goes well ;)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.7K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.3K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure