IMPORTANT: Please make sure your posts do not contain any personally identifiable information (both your own and that of others). When uploading images, please take care that you have redacted all personal information including QR codes, number plates and reference numbers.

fined and clamped for parking in disabled bay in my residential car park

Options
Hello,

I be very grateful if someone could give me advice on this matter. I was parked in a disabled bay in my residential car park, but did not have any signs saying that cars parked in this bay will be ticketed or clamped. Unfortunatley, there was no other space where I could park and I was going on holiday the next day so could not move my car out that bay. I was on holiday for just over 2 weeks and was issued a ticket and then got clamped. One of my relatives who happed to have passed by, have noticed the clamp and paid the £80 fee. But now I have another £80 bill saying that I haven't paid the parking ticket from the same company (National Clamps). This ticket seems to have been issued a week before the clamping, during these time I was away/out of the country to deal with it. Can they issue two ticket with a week? Can someone help me with this?

Thank you,

Comments

• Silk
    Silk Posts: 4,836 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    Options
    IMO you should be ashamed for parking in a disabled bay for two weeks.
    I imagine if your relative paid the ticket and the car was still left where it was they would issue another one.
    As a person who takes a severly disabled person out on a regular basis its anoying when healthy people park in a disabled bay and make it difficult for people like me to get wheelchairs out to the side of the car etc etc etc.
    To do it for 2 weeks is disgusting !
    It's not just about the money
  • Jez_Wolf
    Jez_Wolf Posts: 47 Forumite
    Options
    I thought the "Morally Indignant" squad knew by now that Disabled spaces have no legal standing on private ground.

It looks like you have been issued with an invoice (an unenforceable one), not a ticket.

Only Police and Councils are allowed to issue parking tickets.

Ignore - they will send you a few letters, each more scary and colourful than the last. After 4 or 5 they usually go away.
  • BritRael
    BritRael Posts: 1,158 Forumite
    Options
    I understand all the advice (on numerous threads here) for ignoring parking threats. But in this case, it's a clamp in a residential car park. How do you get that removed?
    Marching On Together

I've upped my standards...so up yours! :)
  • CarolnMalky
    CarolnMalky Posts: 14,254 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    I love reading about people whinging and moaning about getting tickets/clamped/fines for parking in disabled spots when they are not disabled....makes up for all the times my disabled hubby and I have had to walk ages in the rain because selfish ignorant people have used the disabled spaces :D
    If you obey all the rules...you miss all the fun!! Katherine Hepburn
  • pogofish
    pogofish Posts: 10,852 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Yes, ignore the ticket altogether but you will probably have to condiser a small claims action to recover the cost of the clamping.

Naming the landowner/management compay as co-defendant is probably advisable too, as clampers are notoriously slippy and evasive when it comes to paying back money. In fact many simply ignore all legal judgements against them.

Search further down this forum pr go on to pepipoo for fuller advice from the experts.

And yes, private disabled bays are quite meaningless and few if any of them can even be described as such because the markings/signs are seldom if ever compliant with the appropriate regs, which don't apply anyway.
  • pogofish
    Options
    BritRael wrote: »
    I understand all the advice (on numerous threads here) for ignoring parking threats. But in this case, it's a clamp in a residential car park. How do you get that removed?

Bolt cutters/angle grinder. About all you could be held liable for is the cost of the padlock and it is highly unlikely you would be pursued for that.
  • pogofish
    Options
    I love reading about people whinging and moaning about getting tickets/clamped/fines for parking in disabled spots when they are not disabled....makes up for all the times my disabled hubby and I have had to walk ages in the rain because selfish ignorant people have used the disabled spaces :D

Point is that none of this applies on private property. It is simply a scam for the companies who operate there.

Also, IME the most frequent victims of these predators are the disabled drivers/carers themselves, who are often ticketed/clamped mercilessly for the most miniscule of "transgressions" despite being least able to pay the outrageous sums demanded, often in the most threatening/stressful manner. :mad:
  • BritRael
    BritRael Posts: 1,158 Forumite
    Options
    pogofish wrote: »
    Bolt cutters/angle grinder. About all you could be held liable for is the cost of the padlock and it is highly unlikely you would be pursued for that.

I'll remember that :)

I was just asking out of interest. Luckily, I've never been clamped and never even seen one. I've just read on here about parasites clamping a vehicle and then laying in wait for the hapless victim to return...
    Marching On Together

I've upped my standards...so up yours! :)
  • pogofish
    Options
    BritRael wrote: »
    I'll remember that :)

I was just asking out of interest. Luckily, I've never been clamped and never even seen one. I've just read on here about parasites clamping a vehicle and then laying in wait for the hapless victim to return...

Lucky - I have a disabled close relative who was hit with tickets and clamped (before they banned clamping in Scotland) several times - The preying on their ignorance of the legal position, the intimmidation, incl threats of further "fines", court action & bailiffs on someone who had always proudly paid their way was too much and a significant factor in them giving-up driving altogether, which given their limited mobility, seriously impacted on their quality of life.

I wish I'd know then what I've learned since. :mad:
  • theartfullodger
    theartfullodger Posts: 14,644 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    jjes: You seem to state you parked in a disabled bay depriving genuinely disabled drivers/passengers of their rights and exploiting the disability of others through your own selfishness. The legality or not of it disnae alter the morality I think.

Stone me, if i'd do it I'd be too embarrassed..

Cheers!

Lodger

PS What goes around comes around: If you behave as a disabled person dinnae be surprised what curse you've laid upon yourself..
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.5K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure