Help With Student Loans - HERE!

Options

Comments

• andyfromotley
    Options
    Hi Sue,

i'm 48, its a 4 year degree course.
    £1000 Emergency fund No90 £1000/1000
    LBM 28/1/15 total debt - [STRIKE]£23,410[/STRIKE] 24/3/16 total debt - £7,298
    !
  • Savvy_Sue
    Savvy_Sue Posts: 46,099 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Hi Sue,

i'm 48, its a 4 year degree course.
    Ah, in that case I think you won't be age exempt immediately.

I don't know, and don't have the energy to trawl for you, but my gut feeling is that an occupational pension would be assessed as part of your income - it's taxable at source and you get payslips (even if not every month) and a P60.

So hoping someone who knows better than me will come along and confirm ...
    Signature removed for peace of mind
  • andyfromotley
    Options
    ah thanks it not a great problem as my pension is only a few hundred quid over 21K!
    £1000 Emergency fund No90 £1000/1000
    LBM 28/1/15 total debt - [STRIKE]£23,410[/STRIKE] 24/3/16 total debt - £7,298
    !
  • gemhol
    Options
    I'm a UK national and lived in the UK up until October 2013 when I moved to Qatar. I wasn't working, however my husband was. I then got a job in Sept 2014 and we are now moving back to the UK.
    In that time we've kept and maintained a house and address in the UK and paid tax on our UK earnings (from another property we rent out).
    I'm now looking at going to uni in September as a mature student. I can't work out if I qualify for student financing or not, and am loathe to apply if I don't. Am I right in thinking that because I've not been resident in the UK for the full 3 years prior that I won't be able to get any financial assistance with tuition fees etc?
  • Savvy_Sue
    Savvy_Sue Posts: 46,099 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Does anyone know if you are self employed how you pay back?
    Through your self-assessment at the end of the tax year - it's added to the tax you owe, so remember to budget for it!
    Signature removed for peace of mind
  • Starrystarrynight
    Options
    Baggiestan wrote: »
    Hi
    Not sure if this has already been answered but my daughter is going to university from sept this year and we are trying to fill in the student loan application forms.
    It states that for parents/household income they look at gross income for 2013/2014 at which time i was self employed,whilst the income figures look ok once i have taken expenses and costs out it gets reduced substantially,so do i put down gross income or gross after expenses and costs.
    Hope this makes sense.

It's my understanding that you declare the figure after the allowable expenses, costs etc, so that it will then be the figure that you'd pay your tax on.
    From Starrystarrynight to Starrystarrynight1 and now I'm back...don't have a clue how!
  • silvercar
    silvercar Posts: 47,070 Ambassador
    Academoney Grad Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    Hi,

Starting a four year degree in Sept. I have been given a student loan of

£9000 Tuition Fees and
    £4000 Maintenance Loan

I expect similar for the remainder of the course.

I am retired with an occupational pension of £21,800. (index linked) Does this count towards my income for repayment? (i have scoured the t&c's and it just isn't clear!)

You don't start making repayments until the April after you graduate.
    I'm a Forum Ambassador on The Coronavirus Boards as well as the housing, mortgages and student money saving boards. I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. Forum Ambassadors are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com.
  • nebbers
    nebbers Posts: 5 Forumite
    Options
    I have student loans dating back to 1993 and I have deferred every year. SLC were aware of all my income, child tax , child benefit etc but did not take this into consideration when I applied for deferment, Erudio have. I took my complaint to the FO and I have received notification today that Erudio has operated within the T&Cs and have done nothing wrong. I argued child tax and benefit is means tested and therefore an entitlement for my children and not my income but to no avail by the looks of it. Erudio do not have my debit details. I've read if I don't pay they can demand full payment. The FO also confirmed that Erudio informed them they are not currently forwarding details to Credit Reference Agencies...I wonder if that's a porky! I'm looking for advice on what to do next, pay, don't pay in the hope they'll give up (wishful thinking!). Please help! I have until the 20th to appeal the FO's decision.
  • ceewash
    ceewash Posts: 1,341 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Hi

My DS is in 3rd year of uni and our financial situation has changed in that I separated from his dad before Christmas. is there any point in applying to student finace for extra help for the 2 terms left?
  • TheFishmonger
    Options
    Hi can anyone suggest anything to help my a friend of mine who has been offered a University place as a mature student. She is 35 years old, in a low paid job, currently living with her mother and mother's partner. Because her mother's partner earns more than 42k, my friend thinks this means she will only be eligible for tuition fee loan plus a £4000 pa maintenance loan. Is this correct? She pays board and bills and her mother and mother's partner keep their finances separate. Is she still classed as a dependent? If she is only eligible for the 4k living allowance, she won't be able to accept the uni place. She is currently feeling upset and trapped, so I have been trying to find out some info. But I can't find anything that refers to her specific situation. Any help greatly appreciated!
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback