The great ‘Cheap cuppa’ hunt: Your top (PG?) Tips to bag cheap tea

Comments

• elkay115
    elkay115 Posts: 6,581 Forumite
    You get 100 Tetley One Cup tea bags from Farmfoods.
  • 1carminestocky
    1carminestocky Posts: 5,256 Forumite
    Cashback Cashier
    I've gotta give my vote to Sainsburys Basics - 28p for 80 bags
    and they taste just fine, we're definateley converted:D

Agreed. And, quite unbelievably, also Fairtrade! It's absolutely certain that every time we have a cup of char Sainburys are paying for at least some of it! That gives us a nice warm fuzzy feeling, lol...
    Call me Carmine....

HAVE YOU SEEN QUENTIN'S CASHBACK CARD??
  • 1carminestocky
    1carminestocky Posts: 5,256 Forumite
    Cashback Cashier
    ChloeM wrote: »
    I would recommend buying a £15 proper tea pot from Debenhams or similiar with a strainer and use loose tea. Morrisons have an offer on their "the best" loose tea for 99p a box. It lasts us absolutely ages and makes a great cuppa!

Have you any idea what it costs out at per cup? For instance, how much do you need to make one cup and how much is in the box? Like I said earlier, I've never used loose tea (my nan used to make a fine cup with it, though) and wondred if it competes on price with the Sainsbugs Basics tea bags at 0.35p per bag. TIA!
    Call me Carmine....

HAVE YOU SEEN QUENTIN'S CASHBACK CARD??
  • shaz22
    shaz22 Posts: 48 Forumite
    edited 26 May 2009 at 9:25PM
    Asda were selling boxes of Green Tea (50 bags in each) for a £1 on Saturday. Just lap up those antioxidants and save on anti-aging treatments and green tea is also supposed to be good for lowering cholesterol levels and/or aiding weight loss (in sufficient amounts).

[threadbanner]box[/threadbanner]
  • Taffybiker
    Taffybiker Posts: 927 Forumite
    I am very much a coffee person, but the wife is virtually "tea only". She doesn't know it yet but she is going to try Sainsury's Basics!
    Try saying "I have under-a-pound in my wallet" and listen to people react!
  • BobbinAlong
    BobbinAlong Posts: 195 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    I've been a Sainsbury's Red Label fan for many years - both loose and bagged tea. Lately I've been shopping around, watching for bargains and aiming at 1p per bag or less. Bags are essential in the office where tea is made in the cup but we often do two cups from a bag!
    Poundstretcher often have cheap Typhoo and I watch for Morrisons offers.
  • Forgetful
    Forgetful Posts: 1,729 Forumite
    i find pg has a fishy taste....
  • twentypenceoff
    twentypenceoff Posts: 1,460 Forumite
    Tosquito wrote: »
    Having tried almost every type of Supermarket Brand Earl Grey Tea,
    I can honestly say that Twinings is awful, Morrisons and the Co-op are not great either,
    M&S is rather good and Sainsburys is good too.

Reason for not liking any but the last 2, is the after taste that you get from the other brands.
    How the tea tastes comes above price any day.

This may only be helpful to any Earl Grey Tea Drinkers.
    But it can't be just me that drinks it.

i dont like twinings earl grey eiter i find it very bland
  • twentypenceoff
    twentypenceoff Posts: 1,460 Forumite
    curlytop7 wrote: »
    My Husband is a tea addict so when I tried Sainsbury's basic bags 80 x 28p I was expecting him to comment, so I transferred them from the box into the Tea Caddy and waited, and waited and waited and NO COMMENT.

Result we are saving punds and he still isn't aware. :j

asda and tesco 28p for 80 tbags are absoutley fine as well
  • angel13
    angel13 Posts: 2,272 Forumite
    mogwai wrote: »
    I agree with comment about yorkshire tea bags - they are amongst the most expensive, but ohh so worth it. We get through around 5-8 cups a day here, so not cheap. On the plus side though, these are quite strong so you can get two mugs out of them. We all drink massive mugs of tea, so would probably be good for 3 cups..

I'm intrigued about the sainsburys basics though - I'm hearing lots of good things about sainsburys basics range lately..

we use any teabags i find on offer but we are in hard water area (my poor hair hates it!) been here 3 years. so the only teabags i can still get to be ok are yorkshire tea for hard water. but they are too expensive :o im hoping if we could try sainsburys basics and they are ok (ive tried tesco and asda and cant drink them) i could get these for in between.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure