We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.
📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

HM room / air freshener / deodoriser

1…1920222425…28

Comments

  • natlie
    natlie Posts: 1,707
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper
    Forumite
    Hi
    I use essential oil burner with cranberry oil from the body shop, sometimes I leave an open box of washing powder in the room for a bit. I keep a stock under the stairs and it smells lovely. I make everyone put their shoes away in their boxes in the wardrobes otherwise my porch stinks of smelly feet - not very welcoming
    Nat
    DMP 2021-2024: £30,668 £0 🥳

    Current debt: £7823.62 7720.52 7417.94
  • oldtractor
    oldtractor Posts: 2,262
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker Mortgage-free Glee!
    Forumite
    Open the windows and have a good deep clean of everything.
  • tessie_bear
    tessie_bear Posts: 4,898
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Mortgage-free Glee!
    Forumite
    agree with throwing the windows wide and the power of essential oils...a few drops on a bit of cotton wool placed around the place...behind radiators is great in the winter...i like tea tree eucalyptus (sp) lavender geranium...but not all at the same time
    onwards and upwards
  • Rowan9
    Rowan9 Posts: 2,320
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    Forumite
    I think it was Aggie from Kim and Aggie who said to open all windows for at least 15 mins a day to 'exchange the air'. We usually have them open for longer. I'm another one who uses essential oils (lavender at the mo). Swish and swipe bathroom every morning - I'm using Te$co cheapie baby bath for that - think 11p or so a bottle. I still bleach bathroom but not as often. Thanks for suggestion of cut lemons. I'm going to do that as I love lemon fresh smell!
    W
  • SpikyHedgehog
    SpikyHedgehog Posts: 1,045
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper
    Forumite
    My house is quite new and has vents above the windows that we can leave open even when the windows are locked shut. It makes such a difference when we've been away to come back to a ventilated house, not a shut up stuffy house.
  • bluebag
    bluebag Posts: 2,450
    1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Vinegar in small bowls. Wet a cloth in diluted vinegar and swing it about in the air for a bit.
  • Aarons_mummy
    Aarons_mummy Posts: 961 Forumite
    I have a reed diffuser from Body Shop (In the sale of course). I open the windows daily, more often than not the kitchen and bathroom are open all the time.

    It's easier in the nicer weather to have the windows open. I also make sure I clean out my kitchen bin with bicarb and bleach regularly as well as changing the bags every couple of days.

    I also have essential oils in the hoover which sprays about a scent when the hoover comes out. In the winter you can pop some balls of cotton wool with essential oil behind the radiators.
    Credit Card: £796 Left/£900 October 2011 :eek:
    Store Card: £100 October 2011 :o
    Declutter 100 Things In January 100/100:j:beer:
    No Buying Toiletries 2012
  • msb5262
    msb5262 Posts: 1,619
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    edited 25 June 2011 at 9:55PM
    Agree with all the above - also for fatty/smoky/cooking smells, burning a candle helps a lot. Not a scented candle, just a normal one.
    HTH
    MsB
  • pigpen
    pigpen Posts: 41,152
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    Forumite
    I go with the opening windows too... and washing the curtains, soft furnishings and sofas which do hold stale smells.

    Vacuuming more regularly for a few weeks and/or washing the carpets.

    Keep on top of stinky pet beds! They honk!
    LB moment 10/06 Debt Free date 6/6/14
    Hope to be debt free until the day I die
    Mortgage-free Wannabee (05/08/30)
    6/6/14 £72,454.65 (5.65% int.)
    08/12/2023 £33602.00 (4.81% int.)
  • SpikyHedgehog
    SpikyHedgehog Posts: 1,045
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper
    Forumite
    I remember going on holiday & having a friend come in to feed the cat who didn't wash out & recycle the cast food tins - the smell from 2 week old tins managed to fill the house! Worth checking all the bins & scrubbing them out.
This discussion has been closed.
★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.6K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.2K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.