How to look rich while actually being skint!

Comments

• HappySad
    HappySad Posts: 2,021 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    My mother was on benefits and always looked wealthy. this is what she does. Only buy expensive quality WELL FITTED clothes.. either buy in the sale, make your own or buy this good quaily buy knowing what to spot in cheapo shops. top qualit grooming - hair, nails, skin -eat healthy + drink lots of water is much cheaper & more effective that buying expensive skin products. Also style shop in expensive areas & see what the rich are wearing.. then go to lower priced shops to replicate the look.

Also apply the same rules to kitting up your home & everyone will think your loaded & not on benefits like my mother was.
    “…the ‘insatiability doctrine – we spend money we don’t have, on things we don’t need, to make impressions that don’t last, on people we don’t care about.” Professor Tim Jackson

“The best things in life is not things"
  • HappySad
    HappySad Posts: 2,021 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    redballoon wrote: »
    one tip i have is never talk about money , the rich people dont ( my family is rish but i am not!) people who talk about money and buying the latest thing/car/clothes etc dont have the money to buy it with and are probably brought on credit!

i always ask them how much per month do they pay for it and wait for the stuttering and er er 's!
    ]

You are sooooooooooooo right.

I think the same for labels that those who are hooked on labels tend to be the same type to.
    “…the ‘insatiability doctrine – we spend money we don’t have, on things we don’t need, to make impressions that don’t last, on people we don’t care about.” Professor Tim Jackson

“The best things in life is not things"
  • setmefree2
    setmefree2 Posts: 9,072 Forumite
    Mortgage-free Glee!
    Hi,

Just popped over from the MFW board because of Martin's news letter and just wanted to say well done guys for this thread - havn't laughed so much for ages:rotfl:
  • LOL at this thread, it's great. I haven't got any ideas for looking rich but will try and think of some. Maybe I just look like a pauper lol:D
  • Sarahsaver
    Sarahsaver Posts: 8,390 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Charity shops!
    Was in our local today. Got a Firetrap jacket, looks like new, for £2.
    Could have gone down the route of leather stilettoes, posh faux fur coat and evening dresses they had in there too. Then there's the sort of hats only really wealthy older ladies wear that I am sure are not made new anymore...
    I think it's so funny the 'not just food' advert at the mo is Toad In the Hole!!! A food of poverty! Using the yorkshire pud to fill the family up! Now it's posh food all of a sudden :)
    Member no.1 of the 'I'm not in a clique' group :rotfl:
    I have done reading too!
    To avoid all evil, to do good,
    to purify the mind- that is the
    teaching of the Buddhas.
  • I love a good rummage in the sale rail of matalan and our local clothing direct.

lothing direct have all burton stuff in there amonst all others and its all around £5.

Much cheaper than Mr Burton
    :j WILL GET THERE SOON :j

WATCH OUT FOR THE PIG FLYING PAST!!

:rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:
  • I think if you are well spoken & have nice manners, that usually gives people the impression you are better off.
    For some reason, on first impressions, people seem to think I am highly educated!! & well to do, that soon changes as soon as they get to know me:rotfl:
    Comping again - wins so far : 2 V festival tix, 2 NFL tix, 6 bottles of wine, personalised hand soap, Aussie miracle conditioner :beer:

Married my best friend 15/4/16 :)
  • A baying snorting laugh, shouting "ok yah" at every opportunity, talking about "the staff", screaming "dahling!" when you see someone you know approaching....I'd rather be poor.
  • Well spoken:p not "ok yah", or saying "ears" instead of yes :rotfl:
    Comping again - wins so far : 2 V festival tix, 2 NFL tix, 6 bottles of wine, personalised hand soap, Aussie miracle conditioner :beer:

Married my best friend 15/4/16 :)
  • Well spoken:p not "ok yah", or saying "ears" instead of yes :rotfl:

ROFL:rotfl:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills