How to look rich while actually being skint!

Comments

• It's not so much what's in the wallet - but what's in the heart...

OK so we all lurve the goodies (me included! hee hee) - but if you're a good person - you're richer than your wildest dreams..

And a bit of self-belief adds interest onto that one too.

Materialistically? Yikes - tough question - a manicure and a bit of lippy goes a long way. Clean teeth too - for obvious reasons!
  • MissKJ
    MissKJ Posts: 780 Forumite
    Yeah, we all singing from the same song sheet. My kids say we are really rich. Rich in love that is.

If it is important, (and of course self confidence and personal pride is important) then the best advise is to invest in timeless classic clothes, and just buy up to date accessories to make you look fresh and groomed.

I have noticed though that born rich people wear pearl necklaces and alice bands (young royals and their Nannies doanyway). looks Naff though!!!
    unsecured Debts at [strike]August 2007 £79,984[/strike] September £79,579 [STRIKE]Snowballing date July 2013[/STRIKE].

May 2009, £76,772 unsecured debts

DMP started Dec 2008, End date at start 2133!
  • Bargain_Rzl
    Bargain_Rzl Posts: 6,254 Forumite
    Merlot wrote: »
    I totally agree with this one.

yesterday whilst dropping my son off at school, a mother, who I only ever said "hello" to came up and said "I can't stand and chat, I must dash I have an Hotpoint Aqueous and a Dyson being delivered this morning, and tomorrow will be the same as DFS are delivering my leather corner suite" Why oh why did she feel the need to say that, she must think shes posh
    That's exactly the same as Hyacinth Bucket - sorry, Bouquet - and her "Royal Doulton with the hand-painted periwinkles" dinner service :rotfl:
    :)Operation Get in Shape :)
    MURPHY'S NO MORE PIES CLUB MEMBER #124
  • Sarahsaver
    Sarahsaver Posts: 8,390 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    OMG it makes me laugh when people quote names of products like that. Especially when it's something like Next which is merely a high street chain. Common as the proverbial. But you still get people saying 'my NEXT coat' and so on.
    I think people thought my dad was wealthy (he wasn't). We lived in a rural area and he used to wear a tweed flat cap, those checked shirts and corduroy trousers. Ooh er sounds like a right toff ! He had some beautiful handmade shoes but they were ones people never came to collect (he was a shoe repairer) We had a few antiques in the house as we used to wait at auctions for unsold lots and make the auctioneer an offer.
    He could have called himself 'captain' because he was a Captain in WW2 but he refused to use that name outside of war time. He did address himself as *** *** Esquire on correspondence rather than Mr :) He had the answer I think, that was to be frugal( through necessity) and low key.
    Member no.1 of the 'I'm not in a clique' group :rotfl:
    I have done reading too!
    To avoid all evil, to do good,
    to purify the mind- that is the
    teaching of the Buddhas.
  • one tip i have is never talk about money , the rich people dont ( my family is rish but i am not!) people who talk about money and buying the latest thing/car/clothes etc dont have the money to buy it with and are probably brought on credit!

i always ask them how much per month do they pay for it and wait for the stuttering and er er 's!
    Make £10 a day challenge March 2013 £101.24 / £240 :j
    WSC 10 March - £0 / £5
    Debt £17,294 - 7th March
  • Buy yourself a horse. May not be very "moneysaving" but everyone always assumes I'm rich
    Car £1500
    Parents £5000
    Barclaycard £900.68
    + 127,000 Mortgage :eek:
    all on my lonesome
  • Penny2myName
    Penny2myName Posts: 1,605 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    The mse way would be to hire one then, apperently you can hire horses from around £15 an hour, defiantly cheaper than buying one.
    19th March 2007 LBM£5,969.63 1st January 2018 £5960.18, 1st January 2019 £11,032.0018th August 2023 £12,435.00, Student Loan £22244.00 From 2009-12Challenges: To learn to stop spending..
  • dianadors
    dianadors Posts: 801 Forumite
    First Post
    MoJo wrote: »
    I useed to think that my impression that people with "real" money were "tightwads" was because I grew up in rural Yorkshire but it's an impression that hasn't wavered during some quite extensive travelling. Most of the people I have met whom I consider to have "real" money look after their pennies- often to an extent that can sometimes be mildly shocking.

On which basis I would have to assume, I suppose, that everyone here is loaded :D

I think it all depends what type of "rich" you want to look like?

I second this. I have a relative who is a millionairess and she doesnt spend a penny. She rings up to "borrow" stuff, shops in M&S seconds shops for clothes etc. She didnt start off rich, my uncle made tons of money and she is from a very poor background, but she can certainly look after the pennies. She "talks" very wealthy though - but often sticks a "h" in where there isnt one and using big words in the wrong places!!!
  • tallyhoh
    tallyhoh Posts: 2,305 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    My stepdaughter who always looks well dressed came for lunch once. When she took her coat off I noticed that the price label etc were still attached to the inside & pointed it out.

Silly me - so thats how she manages to wear expensive clobber all the time. Wears it once then takes it back for a refund.
    Tallyhoh! Stopped Smoking October 2000. Saved £29382.50 so far!
  • Jacks_xxx
    Jacks_xxx Posts: 3,874 Forumite
    MoJo wrote: »
    I useed to think that my impression that people with "real" money were "tightwads" was because I grew up in rural Yorkshire but it's an impression that hasn't wavered during some quite extensive travelling. Most of the people I have met whom I consider to have "real" money look after their pennies- often to an extent that can sometimes be mildly shocking.

On which basis I would have to assume, I suppose, that everyone here is loaded :D

I think it all depends what type of "rich" you want to look like?

:D LOL - yeah.

I'm a bit confused cos the people I know with money to spend often seem to go after the same "look" as the people who don't.

Logos, the "It" bag, highlights, fake tan, false nails etc.

As Dolly Parton always says "It costs a fortune to look this cheap." :D;)

Love Jacks xxx :D
    Not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted. Einstein
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure