Batter down your annual mobile costs article Discussion Area

Options

Comments

• imorgan
    Options
    I've just been on the phone to Vodafone as my contract was up in two weeks. I ask for the port code as I am quite keen on the 1 month SIM contracts that are currently being offered elsewhere. They asked me why I was leaving and I said they hadn't offered me a good deal a few month back when they called to try and renew and I wanted to leave. They then offered me the same deal I'm on at the moment 250mins and 100text with "stop the clock" for £20 a month but with half price line rental for the first 9 months of the contract (had to settle for a 12 month contract) so its £10 a month. I'm not sure I got a good deal as I was hoping for more minutes as I'm roughly on the 250min per month mark with my current usage but according to them I've only incured an average 98p worth of charges per month on my current deal. What do you guys think, good deal or not? I've got 7 days to mull it over but after that I'm locked into a 12 month contract.

morgan
  • kai666
    kai666 Posts: 1,429 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    imorgan wrote: »
    I've just been on the phone to Vodafone as my contract was up in two weeks. I ask for the port code as I am quite keen on the 1 month SIM contracts that are currently being offered elsewhere. They asked me why I was leaving and I said they hadn't offered me a good deal a few month back when they called to try and renew and I wanted to leave. They then offered me the same deal I'm on at the moment 250mins and 100text with "stop the clock" for £20 a month but with half price line rental for the first 9 months of the contract (had to settle for a 12 month contract) so its £10 a month. I'm not sure I got a good deal as I was hoping for more minutes as I'm roughly on the 250min per month mark with my current usage but according to them I've only incured an average 98p worth of charges per month on my current deal. What do you guys think, good deal or not? I've got 7 days to mull it over but after that I'm locked into a 12 month contract.

morgan

Thats just the standard offer they give to everyone, I got offered exactly the same last week, so they are not offering you anything different than everybody else in your position.

I guess compare the £90 saved over 9 months with the cost of the phones you might want to see if you are getting a good deal. But it's certainly nothing special
  • Glitterati
    Glitterati Posts: 1,053 Forumite
    edited 16 September 2009 at 11:45AM
    Options
    I'm not happy at all with 02, I've been a pay monthly customer of theirs for at least 7 years and the upgrade offers this year are terrible, £10 a month more expensive than I paid 18 months ago! In the past I've had lots of success haggling but this year it was 'take it or leave it'. Signed up to the monthly contact sim only deal for now while I look for something better, it's not a bad offer as I'm a light user but I really wanted a new phone and in the past this was no problem at all :( 300 xnet mins, 600 text and unlimited 02 to 02 calls for £15.

Just noticed this offer is availiable to anyone so not even a 'special' offer!
  • abinanthanb
    Options
    I have got success twice with O2.

Original contract - 30£ (400 Xnet & 100 text)12 months, Free Sony W810i
    Renewed 1st time - 4.58£ (55£ per month, but 11 months cashback; 1000Xnet, 1000 text) 12 months
    Renewed 2nd time - 1.94£ (35£ per month, but 17 months cashback+ free refurbished sony t202; 800Xnet, 1000 text) 18 months
    I am neither a bull nor a bear. I am a FTB, looking for a HOME, not a financial investment!
  • radioactive92
    Options
    Thought I'd have a quick post here to let on some advice and to hopefully gain some.

Around 16 Months ago I walked into a VodaFone store to get a nice new W960i. As soon as I walked in I was offered some phones for around £35 a month, 600 minutes and unlimited texts. Buut, I had my eyes set on the W960i and I said I want that one.

They told me that it was a smart phone and therefore costs £40 a month for the minutes and the texts.... Now, after walking out of the store to find a better deal, I came back to VodaFone full of lies, told them that O2 offered it mr for £35 a month same deal.

After a short discussion, I walked out the store with my W960i for £35 a month with the following:-

Unlimited Texts
    Unlimited Internet (and I mean unlimited, not restricted to "Fair Use")
    600 Minutes
    "Stop the Clock" which boosted my minutes to an insane 12,000 minutes offpeak
    AND a pair of Bose headphones (rrp £90)

Now I was pretty chuffed with that. But alas its that time of year where I can go for an upgrade! Going to try this method of calling them up for the best deal and see where I can go with it. Ideally I want waay less minutes, but still keep stop the clock (it multiplies minutes by 20 if used off peak) so I only need around 200 Minutes MAX.

Anyone have any tips for VodaFone callcentres at all?
  • bot1
    bot1 Posts: 1 Newbie
    edited 29 September 2009 at 9:40PM
    Options
    I phoned Orange after spending a fortune on Pay As You Go for years, I decided to sign up to Pay Monthly, I wanted to join three on a good deal I found, but eventually I got though to customer retentions and I got this amazing deal, for 18 months, note that when it expires in 18 months the deal reverts to one of oranges rubbish ones, but for 18 months I am paying £10 for 200 mins Unlimited texts and Unlimited internet and an LG Secret. Try your luck!
  • Dowen
    Options
    I was on Orange P.A.Y.G and went to my local Orange shop and asked them what they could do on contract as I wanted the Nokia 5800 phone and all they could offer was 100 mins and 300 texts at £24.50 per month for 3 years!! The shop advised to speak to retentions, which I did and offered me a free Nokia 5800, 400 mins across any network, unlimited texts and free internet after 7pm and all weekend for £14.65 per month for 24 months. worth a phone call.
  • Howard_Bennett
    Options
    Has anyone negotiated a deal on a iPhone contract?
  • silvervixen
    Options
    I have been unhappy with the coverage I get from orange since i started usuing it last october, I feel i have been sold a dud and am now stuck with it, I got a call saying after filling in a online survey had won a phone and would upgrade to a better one if i changed networks. which i did. I was told that it was an 18 month contract on the dolphine tarrif. I have since found out theres a few dolphin tarrifs and after speaking to a representitive today they told me i was on 24 month contract. I really want of this orange network have never been happy with it. can anyone advise please?
  • silvervixen
    Options
    I have since made 2 phone calls to orange to ask if i can reduce my monthly bill from the dolphin 25 which is £25 per month. to something cheaper. They say that that tarrif is the lowest they do, however after reading some threads on here ad speaking to others i know there are cheaper ones avaialble. They insist there isnt and to buy myself out of the 12months I have left on this bloody rubbish network they want £268. I am in catch 22, I cant aford the £25 per month and Cant afford the £268 to get me out of the contract. The covarage is rubbish as i cant recieve or make calls in certain areas and they have said the do not guarentee coverage everywhere. Well thats fie but i would have expected coverage everywhere that other networks work without any problem? any advice or assitance will be greatfully recieved
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback