We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.
📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

OS Daily Monday 4th May 09

1235

Comments

  • sillyinthepast
    sillyinthepast Posts: 244 Forumite
    Hiya the sausage bars are scrummy

    The recepie is

    packet of sausage meat from tescos
    onion
    tom puree
    slice of bread
    cheese
    puff pastry

    All I do is put the onion and bread in the food processor and whizz intil chopped add the sausage meat, about 2tbsp tom puree and a little bit of cheese grated and whizz again until all mixed up together. then roll out the pastry and put half of the filling on one side fold the pastry over and press down _ so it looks like a huge bar, egg wash it and bake in the oven for about 20 minutes (until golden on top) I bake mine at 200 on a fan assisted oven.

    The rest of the mixture i freeze until next time.

    Sorry the instructions aren't fantastic but I never really follow measurements I just throw things in if you get what I mean.

    Hope you enjoy
    £370/£300 April challenge :T:T
  • betheebee
    betheebee Posts: 1,818 Forumite
    edited 4 May 2009 at 4:50PM
    Hi all,
    I have re planed dinner, instead of roasting the whole duck I have removed the breasts (meal for 2) then part roasted the rest of the duck and stripped off all meat and have made Duck in Hoi-sin sauce (meal for 2) and stir fried duck with peppers,mushrooms,spring onions &toms for spicy duck wraps (meal for 2)
    The duck was £6 in Sainsbugs and have stretched it into 6 dinners. I then boiled the giblets, used the livers to start a pate and will use the stock for soup or casserole. DH was in the kitchen helping and was impressed with how many dishes the duck provided. Oh, Oh, and as it was cooked on a rack I have a jug full of fat ideal for roast pots. I'm one happy bunny.
    I really must get out more often. :rolleyes:

    DH & I deceided that as it's a BH we wouldn't do any stone work so enjoyed cooking and spending time messing about in the kitchen, I showed DH how to make a bannofee, banofee, banoffe
    a banana and toffee pie,, He's quite proud of his results. Guess what's for pud.

    I have loads of mini mars and milkyway bars and malterers left over from making DD1's b/day cake, any ideas?
    I thought of making a sauce of some kind to pour over a sponge pud or make a cheese cake. Bit stumped.

    Having withdrawl symptoms atm as I haven't seen DGD2 for 16hrs. CANDYGIRL,:hello: I'm so so pleased to hear from you, bet your'e loving every moment with you DGD, what a beautifull baby she is. Another Angel.:A

    PEN PIN, So pleased to read your posts as you do seem to be feeling better, long may it last.
    ANGUK, Sorry to hear your OH needs dialysis, hope he feels better after it.
    SISTERCAS, Enjoy the results of your free tickets.
    TERESITA, Hope you will be able to find a place soon.
    NIC, I have a picture in my head of grannies, uncles etc attempting to do the Irish dance and the younger ones watching in amazment thinking " I will never do that when I'm their age" Hmm, bet they will. :rolleyes:
    HARIBO, Hope your hosp app goes well tomorrow and it's nothing for you to worry about.
    I was disapointed with the prog also. Our DF wrote the book on which the prog was based on. It's called Exploring the Islands of England and Wales including Channel Islands & Isle of Man. by Julian Holland. No, he's not THE Jools Holland, just a namesake. His next book will be about Scotland & Irland.
    FRUGAL, PIPKIN, WFM, Haven't read from you in ages. :j
    A huge Welcome to KJSAM and SUNFLOWER and SILLYINTHEPAST Hope you enjoy this thread.

    SMOKY, Hope you're ok, miss your late night posts. x
  • meanmarie
    meanmarie Posts: 5,331 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts
    Afternoon all,

    Not a nice bank holiday Monday to-day....have done very little and am not going to do anything much except go to village to collect Chinese takeaway I am going to order as soon as they open....we all seem to be feeling sorry for ourselves here for one reason or another, or indeed no reason in my case, haven't had takeaway in an age....
    Welcome to newbies, you will like it here....some of us are a bid mad but in a nice way...
    PenPin....glad that you enjoyed your trip out yesterday, enjoy drive to-day.
    Redruby, hope kayaking goes well.
    Beth...glad to know that you take a day off now and again(!)
    Sorry to say that memory is now gone, hope that you are all enjoying your day.
    Hugs to everybody, congratulations to those who are celebrating

    Marie
    Weight 08 February 86kg
  • CRANKY40
    CRANKY40 Posts: 5,951 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Debt-free and Proud! Name Dropper
    Good afternoon,

    I have had a very busy weekend. On Friday we had a roast dinner made with beef brisket. I made 2 pies with the leftovers yestareday by using small cereal bowls. We had one for dinner between dh and I yesterday, and it was lovely.

    I didn't do much OS on Saturday as dh was putting his boat out on the river for the summer, so the little person and I went to meet some friends in the Trafford Centre, for soft play and lunch.

    Yesterday I changed all the bedding, and starting spring cleaning the hovel. I managed 2 bedrooms, as well as all of the ironing and the pie making.

    Today I carried on with the cleaning. The hall now keeps making me jump as all the clutter has been put away. It's like living in someone else's house :rotfl: I have also cleaned our sitting room, and the little person's playroom, nearly (I moved all of the furniture round so it took a bit longer than usual). I still have the sideboard to sort out, but I've run out of energy. I've also ironed the washing that went on last night, which went in the tumble dryer sadly, due to the horrible weather here. The kitchen is already clean thank goodness (it usually is).

    DH has kindly made dinner as I was busy. We're having lamb. We bought a couple of those cheap legs of lamb that were around a little while back and dh cut them both into two joints and two leg chops each.

    Take care all of you, and hugs to anyone that needs one
  • betheebee
    betheebee Posts: 1,818 Forumite
    edited 4 May 2009 at 5:10PM
    meanmarie wrote: »
    Afternoon all,

    Beth...glad to know that you take a day off now and again(!)

    Not only did we take a day off, we didn't bother to get dressed into day clothes after showering, just got back into night/eveningware and kept the shutters shut and the blinds drawn. Now enjoying a glass of vino colapso. ;)

    Enjoy your takeaway, don't forget we all deserve a little spoiling, God knows we all deserve it.
    (((((( you and Ulrick )))))
  • taplady
    taplady Posts: 7,184 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    betheebee wrote: »
    I have loads of mini mars and milkyway bars and malterers left over from making DD1's b/day cake, any ideas?
    I thought of making a sauce of some kind to pour over a sponge pud or make a cheese cake. Bit stumped.

    :EasterBun :D just eat them of course!;)
    Do what you love :happyhear
  • redruby
    redruby Posts: 7,317 Forumite
    Evening all,

    Had a great day out on the river, we rowed for about two hours, stopped for a picnic, then rowed back, it was great, but dd and I were covered in mud, had to strip off in the car into clean clothes, OH came away quite clean :confused:.
    Little dog fell in the river, and struggled a bit to get out, so when we got home we ordered her a life jacket, better to be safe then sorry. Bless her she was shivering so much, I had to put her down my jacket to warm her up.

    Its come over horrible here, looks like we may have a storm coming, have had a nice hot bath, dd is in it now, and we are going to order a hot indian to be delivered :T too tired to cook, rowing really takes it out of you ( I expect they will soon want us for the olympic team :D:rotfl:)

    Have good evenings all xx
  • frugalswan
    frugalswan Posts: 339 Forumite
    Evening, everyone :) Hope you've had a good day! I have. :D

    I really, and I mean REALLY felt the need to do some baking this afternoon. So I trawled through my recipes trying to find something I already had all the ingredients for and clocked up "no" after "no" after "no". Huh. I had a look through the recipes on the beginning of the Grocery Challenge and found a cookie recipe I liked the look of. Checked the cupboards for the ingredients and, what do you know, they're all there. Except for one...

    I hadn't got any chocolate chips. I can't have cookies that aren't chocolate chips. I didn't even have a Value bar or anything *innocent look*. The only thing I had was a box of a certain kind of dark chocolates. Well, I wasn't about to be thwarted, and I have quite a good imagination when push comes to shove. :D

    And so I made Voodoo Cookies :D Here they are: http://i526.photobucket.com/albums/cc345/frugalswan/sweetstuff/P1000239.jpg (hope that worked!) Because they're worked with a little black magic ;) Chopped up truffles make rather nice cookies, particularly because they all melt into little chunks of different flavours. Some said their cookie tasted of orange, or of praline, or just of chocolate!

    Friends have been over this afternoon and DH2B went out with them for a bit of a kickabout. I baked while they were out, and they were very pleasantly surprised to come back to yummy fresh baked cookies. :D I always feel really pleased when people enjoy what I make. :)

    Back to work tomorrow, sadly :( Ah, well. Have a good evening, everyone :)

    x Frugalswan x
    Continually trying the Grocery Challenge. Gotta keep trying!
  • sistercas
    sistercas Posts: 4,803 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker Debt-free and Proud!
    edited 4 May 2009 at 6:03PM
    frugalswan the cookies look lovely , its an excellent idea

    redruby sounds a brilliant day out, poor little dog though, you will have to post a pic of him when he has his life jacket on
  • Pink.
    Pink. Posts: 17,635 Forumite
    10,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    edited 4 May 2009 at 6:28PM
    Evening all,

    I've been feeling a bit off colour today, but it's probably just tiredness. Ds2 woke us at 4am to tell us he couldn't sleep...we reassured him and put him back to bed, but he felt the need to remind us that he still couldn't get to sleep on a half hourly basis. :rolleyes: We all finally got back to sleep around 8am, then ds2's alarm clock went off and woke us all up again. :mad: So we were all running around like headless chickens again because he was away camping and nobody else knew how to turn the stupid thing off. :o

    So I have wasted May day. :( I did potter in the garden for a bit and made some bread but then gave up and slobbed on the sofa for a while before having a long soak in the bath. Mr Pink has taken ds2 to a May day festival and they should be home soon. I wanted to go because there will be craft stalls there but just didn't feel up to it. Easy tea of peppered steak baguettes then an early night all round.

    Sorry I haven't read the thread in detail yet, but Beth these recipes might help you use up the chocolate:

    Mars bar crispies

    Mars bar cheesecake

    Malteser cake

    Penny Pincher, glad to hear you sounding a bit better.
    ruby, glad you had a great day and that the little dog survived to swim another day.
    cranky and candygirl, where have you been? I've missed your posts. I miss tru as well.
    Welcome to sillyinthepast, kjsam and sunflower.



    Have a good evening everyone,

    Pink
This discussion has been closed.
★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.6K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.