We've changed the name of this board from 'Greenfingered MoneySaving' to simply 'Gardening'. This is to help make it easier to find for the horticulturally inclined. The URL remains unchanged for the time being, so all links to the board are unaffected.

weeds????

Options
cathy_3
cathy_3 Posts: 1,500 Forumite
Combo Breaker First Post
Kill grass or weeds by pouring hot vinegar on it. This might take a couple of times to work completely. but it works and is a hell of a lot cheaper and safer than weedkiller
have used white vinegar straight from the bottle to pour on the weeds and grasses that come up through the pavement...Just pour on and let set a couple of days and the weeds will die back and wont reappear for several months. Have been doing this for several years and always works.

Comments

• System
    System Posts: 178,094 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Sorry to follow you around Cathy but i wanted to say, i use salt on weeds. However vinegar might be a safer option to the rest of the garden plants.
  • Savee2
    Savee2 Posts: 9 Forumite
    Options
    What do you do for the weeds in the lawn? I like this environment friendly idea. Can you please explain a bit more?
    Thanks in advance
  • cathy_3
    cathy_3 Posts: 1,500 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    you have to dose each weed individually im afraid or the vinegar will kill the grass as well I recon

i use about an egg cup full for each weed sometimes you have to do it again a few days later
    but then again you have to with the expensive poisonous stuff as well

I go round the lawn and zap the big dandelions etc with it but the weed and feed for a big lawn would be more lumbar friendly

its great tho for getting out the weeds between pavers etc

good luck
  • Valkyrie_2
    Options
    Thanks Cathy, that should be much safer for animals too :)
    Val :)
  • Bradleyguy
    Options
    I also use salt on my lawn weeds. When the neighbours aren't looking (or early mornings at weekends) I am crouched down dropping cooking salt (the cheapes type) in the middle of each one. It's is actually quite therepeutic and satisfying to see them dissolve away!
    regards Guy

Options
    Will it get rid of ground elder? I'm fighting a losing battle and am about to resort to container gardening :(
    Organised people are just too lazy to look for things

F U Fund currently at £250
  • Penny-Wise_4
    Options
    Salt will probably kill off ground elder - give it a go. I've read somewhere (on this site i think) that if you have enough salt you can kill trees.

I would dig up as many roots as you can. As you must know these are very long and strong and can sprout up again in a short time. If you get out as many roots as you can, then kill off the new sprouts with salt/vinegar as they come up you may be able to win your battle.
    Your home is at risk if you do not keep up repayments on a mortgage or other loan secured on it.
  • Poppy9
    Poppy9 Posts: 18,833 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Where do you get white vinegar from? Also will it kill moss on tarmac drives?
    :) ~Laugh and the world laughs with you, weep and you weep alone.~:)
  • Queenie
    Queenie Posts: 8,793 Forumite
    Options
    Distilled white vinegar is available in supermarkets. :D (It'll be there alongside the malt vinegar, cider vinegar, wine vinegar's et al)
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    PMS Pot: £57.53 Pigsback Pot: £23.00
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
  • culpepper
    culpepper Posts: 4,076 Forumite
    Options
    careful with the salt.
    The romans used to salt the fields of trouble makers and it was 6 years before they could grow crops again.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure